ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup Sports Cat

Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys

So my original cat corroded and started blowing and stunk so a replacement was needed. The oem cats were just stupid prices so I opted for the ktec sports cat as have a recently fitted stealth system on the car. I did this for no performance or sound gains just as it was better option as didn’t want to decat it.

Anyone had these on and how they are on the 172???

Many thanks

Mark

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Clio 182 cats are pretty much sports cats iirc if you wanted to go down getting a used one. Couldn't comment on aftermarket one.

Clio 172 Cup
Not done a run in it mate yet but hopefully going up to efi Sunday so will let u know pal. Feels really good tho

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Nice mate,getting mapped?..i was told by ED when i had mine mapped that if i had a decat it may of got about another 5bhp so would be 187bhp.im just interested on how it sounds & drives.

Ed Hodson

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve heard that these cats don’t last very long - as in they’ll only get you through an MOT for perhaps about 2 years.

Does anyone know if this is true?

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
What about doing a custom one?

IMG-20190201-WA0004.jpg

mart.z.s

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi A3 2.0T Quattro
I’ve heard that these cats don’t last very long - as in they’ll only get you through an MOT for perhaps about 2 years.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I’ll find out on my MoT next week as the sports cat on mine looks a good few years old. Don’t know how long though. The milltek cat I had on my fiesta st was 5 years old and sailed through MOT last year no problem. So guess it last how the car is used aswell.

Clio 172 Cup
Hi guys my cup is already mapped spoke with Chris at efi said map shouldn’t need adjusting with sports cat addition, it drives amazing. Not heard about the expectation of how long it last hopefully as I do low miles will last

Clio 172 Cup
Seems to be a bit more urgent mate low down torque sounds really deep too combined with filter haven’t had a good blast in yet so can’t comment on out and out performance

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Does no one bother with the “BTB cat mod” any more?

Also how much are 2nd hand OEM 172 cats worth nowadays as I’ve still got one knocking about in my loft.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking the same, looks good. Could I ask where you sourced the cat section, not sure I trust the ones on ebay?

That's mine. It's a Magnaflow 59926 which is designed to be used with 2.5" systems.

Does no one bother with the “BTB cat mod” any more?

Also how much are 2nd hand OEM 172 cats worth nowadays as I’ve still got one knocking about in my loft.

Over £200 nowadays for a used gen 172 cat.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Over £200 nowadays for a used gen 172 cat.

Blimey! I remember when you could struggle to sell them for around £50-£60. Mine came off my very low mileage Cup (40k+ miles)

Yes mate that looks decent,its just the fitting thats the pain from what ive made

Yeah I’ve heard it’s not the easiest. I just got JP exhausts in Macclesfield to fit that with my OMP inox group n system when I had my cup.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
How did that sound?..also what cat is that in the photo.I know 172 one but the actual cat & how does the actual standard one look/set up compared to the sports cat @Matt Cup

Here you go ?

And it’s pretty much what Amos said, I bought a used 182 cat and sent it to the Guys at BTB who added the flanges and pipe to match the OE cat as a direct replacement.

Last edited:

MrBlonde

ClioSport Club Member
Oh ok mate i see and whats the benefit from doing it this way? @Matt Cup

I have the ktec so called super quiet system,so be interesting to see hear what a decat or sports cat is like on that system,if was a 182 i would just do it as easy to change over if i dont like it.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Oh ok mate i see and whats the benefit from doing it this way? @Matt Cup

There was probably not a huge benefit, but people commented back then that the OE cat was quite restrictive compared to the 182, so doing this was a good compromise as it was fairly cheap to do and I had a 182 cat knocking about.

Ideally if the cat section was sleeved then swapping over to a decat would have been a nice option to have.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Not bad idea mate,i think i will look into doing something like that in the future.How did the company you got to do this have the measurements etc to get it right to fit your 172? @Matt Cup

Give these guys a call they are the people who did mine. I should assume they still have the jig for it or be able to knock one up with ease. I just sent them the cat and they did the rest.