ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Cup v's Megane Cup comparison

Guys and Girls hope you all had a good weekend.

A few people on the forum wanted me to give some feedback in regards to swapping my clio cup to a Megane cup on saturday morning.

After driving the Meg all weekend this is my own personal opinion.

0-60 not much difference but meg feels like it gets there slightly quicker.
60-ton meg is faster and keeps pulling.

The meg in third gear is amazing and keeps pulling like mad, its like the pull the clio has in second

Handling - clio feels sharper and more responsive and feels better on the twisties. Even though the meg has the cup packs its not as bad as you think it handles well but the clio is better.

Straight line speed my clio would have been left behind without a doubt.

As mentioned this is my own opinion, even though Auto Car had given the Meg a 0-60 of 6.1sec / Evo 6.5 with 167bhp/ton

The meg is a different car altogether.

Cheers guys.

Liquid yellow R26 F1
Just wondering.. But how does the Meg cup difer from the Trophy.. as i drove a Trophy at the Brands trackday in the summer and liked it t a lot..:)

The cup was introduced after the trophy in the Meg range.

I think that the trophy has full leathers suspension can be adjusted like the clio range cd changer etc.

But for some reason if you look at the stats the cup is lighter than the trophy according to Evo and has a better bhp/ton but nothing in it in the real world.

Apart from that i honestly don't know.

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Nice review mate, and although i have never driven one, i'd expect the same results tbh..

Tyson

BMW M6 & 172 Phase 1
Pocket Rocket said:
Straight line speed my clio would have been left behind without a doubt.

I'm not convinced of this myself as my best mate has a meg trophy and we have had numerous blasts together with next to nothing in it from 0-100. I agree from being in both that the pull feels a lot harder in thrid and fourth but i think this hasd something to do with the power deleivery rather than the speed, as the meg has to chnge gear earlier and you dont get the 5-7K pull the clio gets.

Just my opinion, great car all the same, would love to have either.

MINI JCW
The 225 is about a 1 sec faster to a 100 than a 172/182, not really sure how many car lengths this equates too but i would imagine its not many (a couple maybe). I would imagine the 225 is so much easier to drive due to the turbo (i.e not having to drop down a gear)

I really like the 225 and i think i would go for one if i wanted a bigger car

The clio 172 cup has raw power especially after 5000 revs, you would get upto a ton very quickly, it would even get to 120 quite rapidly on a private strip of course.

But after that it would creep ever so slightly to 130+ etc.

The meg just keeps pulling as mentioned below it is quicker to a ton, after that it would pull away and get to top end quicker due to the 225bhp and the turbo and more torque the gap would increase between the 2 cars the faster you went.

But lets be honest we all value our licences at the end of the day i loved my clio cup it made me smile, its not like im ever going to drive at 147mph in the meg, i value my license to much.

Both cars are great in there own way.

The difference is though, with a few choice mods to the Meg it will blow the clio out of the water for speed, seeing as its a turbo. So much more responsive to MOD's.

133/225/CLS AMG
I went from a 172 to a full fat 225 without cup packs and I'm still extremely impressed with its handling. You can't throw it round like the Clio but the levels of grip are really good.

I'm still running my 225 in so haven't been pushing it but its nice that the power comes in at 3rpm unlike the Clio at 5k! Seems to make the car easier and more refined without having to really rev it hard.

If you're looking for something bigger and better build then I highly rate the 225 as the next step on from a 172/182.