ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCi Major Service Advise

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Hi guys new member.

I have a 2002 clio dci 65 which is due a service soon.

it had 78k miles on it and is coming up to 89k now and I want to do a major service but not to sure what to include in it.

plan on doing the obvious, oil, air and fuel plus a good EGR clean, despite doing this all when I first got the car in March 2013. Most likely do an engine flush too using Wynns Formula as I have read some guys reviews on the stuff who swear by it, anyone done this?

was as thinking is there anything extra I can do engine wise to keep the car in good shape? New glow plugs, or can current plugs be clean etc

Any ideas welcome, expect something like putting new injectors in the car lol why fix something that isn't broke?

182 ff
i don't no anything about diesels ,i wouldn't use any engine flush.. case it strips all the protection it may have off,
i put Redex Petrol Advanced Fuel System Cleaner in mine car..cleans the injectors ..

Nice to see another diesel!
Mine is on 156k miles and runs perfect.
Most important thing to do would be to get a new timing belt unless its been done recently, then oil filter, oil change.

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
It has a full service history when I bought it which is pretty good I thought however it's very vague

it says at 57k it had a "belt change"... Not sure exactly what belt or does it only have one lol shows I have never checked that far in the engine

yeah I heard that about the flushes but surely if it loosens anything in the engine the filter will then pick it up. Maybe a few goes with some redex or forte, I read that forte is meant to be a lot better

Take it to a mechanic or something if you can and get them looked at to be safe. Most important parts to change would be the waterpump, cambelt and aux belt. Talk to HMS Derv Destroyer on here, he knows a lot more than me :)

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Take it to a mechanic or something if you can and get them looked at to be safe. Most important parts to change would be the waterpump, cambelt and aux belt. Talk to HMS Derv Destroyer on here, he knows a lot more than me :)

Thanks, yeah I've thought about this today.

doing a full service, RH lower wishbone replacement and lower engine mount replacement within the next week so will most likely do as u said.

rang a local garage up for a price on the cam, water and aux belt job and he had mentioned to me if I was sourcing the parts? Now I had checked on eBay etc and found two cam/water kits, one is a gates and other continental, around the 50/60 pound mark? Does that sound about right? Know continental are one of the best barns out there which is a pretty good price I thought.

obvioiusly I got the usual story from the mechanic that he would stand over the job/parts as he would rather source them etc so he said in and around 100 + vat for labour OR if he was to do all about £240 +vat

think that's is a bit steep and although I want the best for this wee car I would rather source my own parts and have someone do the job as I don't fancy this myself

going to contact another few garages see what price they have but even at £100 +vat for labour I don't think it's the worst, al in getting parts myself would be around £160 mark

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Hi mate got your PM.
I would advise not doing any oil formular flushed as they can do more harm than good.

A good oil change and filter will do a world of good.
Glows are easy to change and worth it, you can't really clean the old ones up

air filter /cabin filter easy to do.
fuel filter and put some diesel injector cleaner into it.

These engines are good !

when was the cambelt done? Regardless of Millage , age on belt is a requirement aswell

give Adam at Renault Wolverhampton a ring on here. Ask him for a complete service kit for the dci 65 ( go off your reg )

FYi don't but cheap water pump and belts kits!
Gates kits or Adam charges 65 odd for a cambelt kit , gsf do a metal impels water pump for 20 odd.

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Hi mate got your PM.
I would advise not doing any oil formular flushed as they can do more harm than good.

A good oil change and filter will do a world of good.
Glows are easy to change and worth it, you can't really clean the old ones up

air filter /cabin filter easy to do.
fuel filter and put some diesel injector cleaner into it.

These engines are good !

when was the cambelt done? Regardless of Millage , age on belt is a requirement aswell

give Adam at Renault Wolverhampton a ring on here. Ask him for a complete service kit for the dci 65 ( go off your reg )

FYi don't but cheap water pump and belts kits!
Gates kits or Adam charges 65 odd for a cambelt kit , gsf do a metal impels water pump for 20 odd.

Thanks for quick responce

according to service book, belt was changed at 57k

yeah I have gone off the idea of a flush although I did purchase some Redex Oil Enhancer the other day as it was on offer, ever have any dealing with this?

Yeah I know def not to buy cheap s**t despite wanting to be on a budget but I assume that continental cam kit is the ticket as they are a worldwide name, all belts on my new focus are continental and the Gates kits are OEM for honda

most likely source a proper water pump as u say from a Renault dealership as I've read plenty of stories on here about the cheap £10 pieces of rubbish

I take it though glow plugs are simply glow plugs? No need for buying the best really, or is that not the case?

http://bit.ly/1ea1H1K

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Not had any experience with that one but I did use millers oil ehancer and it made my engine allot more noisey. Dumped the oil and filter, .ran two lots of cheap mineral oil through ( 500miles between change ) and then ordered renaults ' elf ' oil for my dci.
Sweet as a nut now.

thats the only way safely to flush it really. Run some cheapish oil through for a short term and then dump it, then go for a better oil.

Glows plugs are a doodle on these, cN be tight but some ceramic plaste ( bit like copper grease ) and they won't get stuck again.
The dci's I've service over here always have a set of Bosch 1.5 dci plugs put in them. Can't fault them at all( ebay has th for around 25£)

continetal is that bad tbh, most of us use Renault ( which is gates i presume )
We have a van that does 8k over two months and that's a 1.5 with a conti belt. Still runs true.

But it like I said , ideally you need a KIT, and then have it correctly tensioned
water pump, yup, any plastic type ones , avoid at all costs. Will also need coolant. Either Renault Type D coolant or find out what's already in yours and change it for a fresh batch of the same stuff.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
Any set of glows will do for the 1.5 specific. The Bosch/denso / NGK will last allot longer. Cheaper ones may fail early on

2002 Clio 1.5 DCi
Thanks very much for the advise guys

what turned out as only a full service has now resulted in £170 worth of parts lol also found a mechanic locally who is well known and will do the cam, aux and water pump replacement £80 all in which I think is pretty good :)

but out I suppose it's all worth it keep the wee car going for another 90k miles :)

sure re I will bump in to you all again, still a few minor things to get sorted still lol
Thanks again

will report back when all is done and give you an update on how the car is running