ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio DCI's... worth looking into? Tell me more :D

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
Don't know loads about these but been hearing that road tax is like 35 quid a year for them?!?!

I'm getting annoyed at my petrol bills for a not especially quick car, tax is expensive considering it's performance and I just fancy a change.. Something as quick for a hell of a lot less running costs would be fantastic and I'm hearing good things about the Clio DCI.

So, if I did have one it wouldn't be left standard!

DCI 100's seem rare and expensive
DCI 80 seems a good option and I've read a little about the gearboxes are better than the 100's? How so?

I'd want a remap obviously... what power can I expect from either model? Whats the differences mechanically between the 65, 80, 100? Different turbo's? ECU mapping? Intercoolers (if they have them?) etc?

Many thanks :D

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
Id speak to ClioKhunt or Edde, they were at the Nurburgring when i was there and they got some super fast times and both were driving DCIs. Jeff (ClioKhunt) had a remap which he was very pleased with.

Corsa Sport 1.6 16v
It'd have to be done. Been chatting to a mate who had a 65 and he said he got like 720 miles from 40 quid.. I can get 280 if I'm REALLLLYYY lucky! lol...

I need look at a few of these and test drive one. An 80 seems the best choice. Obviously remapped it'd be totally different.

What scope for mods are there? Any need to uprate intercooler etc? Bigger turbos? Or just play sensible with a remap, maybe a free-er flowing exhaust?

Clio 182 & Saxo VTR
It'd have to be done. Been chatting to a mate who had a 65 and he said he got like 720 miles from 40 quid.. I can get 280 if I'm REALLLLYYY lucky! lol...

I need look at a few of these and test drive one. An 80 seems the best choice. Obviously remapped it'd be totally different.

What scope for mods are there? Any need to uprate intercooler etc? Bigger turbos? Or just play sensible with a remap, maybe a free-er flowing exhaust?

He averaged about 70mpg? How?

Hello,

I have a dci 80 and am thrilled with it. Got it remapped recently to around 115bhp and it's so much fun. Not blindingly fast but it's only a 1.5l engine after all!

If you think about it they are a great package in terms of road tax, insurance, nippy-ness and fuel consumption.

M

mini-valver

The 80 is the better choise if you're remapping anyway. The only problem you might have with remapping is the gearbox's can't really take much more torque than standard TBH.

a thirsty one
my wife bought a new 65bhp dci in september and averages 63mpg its nippy enough but around town but on motorways lacks power, friend just sold his ford racing puma for a dci 80bhp it has a bit more poke and different cooler, i think the 80bhp offers best value for money and should take the extra power better from a map.

SLK250 CDI
I just got a 106bhp and getting around 47mpg, but only done 300 miles so far. Car seems slow compared to the 1.7diesel Corsa I had before, but it's a much more refined drive and comfortable car to drive slowly. Seems to respond better to the cruise control buttons than the accelerator pedal... :|

Megane 1.5dci
I have a DCI 100 which I must say is pretty impressive.

I was running a 3.0i V6 Honda beforehand and although it was a fantastic car I was putting over £50 a week in petrol alone.

I specifically went for the DCI 100 and it's pretty good for what it is and I am "averaging" 55-60MPG running to work and back. It's pretty brisk in std form and although I have considered a remap I have yet to make up my mind.

On the whole, after 2 months of ownership, it's a pretty good car so far. Not quite the build quality of the Honda but then it makes up for it in cost of ownership, it's soooo cheap. :)

£35 tax, amazing economy and for me only £150 a year to insure fully comp.

bmw 318ci coupe
i had a dci 80 dynamique and it was brilliant! i regret selling it! tax only £35 a year and it was very economical! also very quick off the mark! and pulls through every gear! get one lol

If you think about it they are a great package in terms of road tax, insurance, nippy-ness and fuel consumption.
the dci80s are the best package
ive got a dci 86 mk3 :D i may remap mine next year

im getting 55mpg but mines only got 960miles on the clock im guesing i get about 400ish to a tank

the 65 doesnt have an intercooler if i remember

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
about remaps,
dci65 will get you 80-90bhp
dci80 " " " 100-112bhp
dci100 " " " 125-135bhp

dci65 doesn't have an intercooler, 80 does, and a dci 100 has one that's 17% more effective than the dci80's

dci65 has different injectors than the other two, dci80&100 have the same injectors.
all have delphi common rail pumps, which gives respectivly 1400-1600 and 1800 bar.

dci65 and 80 share the same turbo (borg-warner), dci100 has a turbo with variable geometry (KKK-KP36)

dci100 has a diffrent bottom end, (conrods etc)

dci65 has the gearbox of the valver
dci80 has the gearbox of the 2.0 16V
dci100 has a laguna gearbox and is made out of cheese

if there is something I forgot, shout!

I just got a 106bhp and getting around 47mpg, but only done 300 miles so far. Car seems slow compared to the 1.7diesel Corsa I had before, but it's a much more refined drive and comfortable car to drive slowly. Seems to respond better to the cruise control buttons than the accelerator pedal... :|

ive driven a dynamiquie s dci 106 i found it really quick as well :eek: with 3k on the clock it was doing 47mpg i think thats about as good as it gets :eek:

any pics yet ;) an specs

Last edited:
  Polo Bluemotion
Ive got a 2005 dci100 in nordic green. Id recommend one to anyone. As people have pointed out, they are a fantastic compramise between performance+economy. Ive got a rather heavy right foot, yet two full tanks just sees me over the thousand mile mark!! These cars have a certain stealth factor about them, people either presume its "just a 1.2", or at most, look at the door and see the dci sign. They dnt realise hw nippy they are.

Ive read sum people takin the piss out of the gearbox on here. Ive done 20,000 problem free miles with mine up2 nw, so i definately wouldnt advise anyone to settle for an 80, because there is a few rumours of problems on the 100. Most cars have problems, i had a bmw mini that had to have a brand new gearbox at 15,000mile!! If you drive both, youl take the 100, like i did. Obviously 100s are quite are, bt they are out there if u look hard enough.

On the modding side of things, there doesnt seem to be alot available for dci's. U can get the usual exhaust, dump valve,filter, remap/box. The biggest power hikes seem to be with the remaps. Ive been told, anything else (ie>intercoolers,turbos etc)has to be custom made, which equals big bucks!!

The only other thing i wanted make people aware of,is 100s have discs on the back too. Not sure how relevant this is to people, and what other clios hav them (apart from the rs's,obviously)

Last edited:
  SLK250 CDI

ive driven a dynamiquie s dci 106 i found it really quick as well :eek: with 3k on the clock it was doing 47mpg i think thats about as good as it gets :eek:

any pics yet ;) an specs

No pics yet, probably at the weekend after I've cleaned it (black...might stay clean for 30 minutes). Reversed it into the garage the first day I had it and knocked over a bike which scratched the back bumper grrr... lol

I had my test drive in a dynamique s 106 as well and it was quite quick - perhaps I was just mashing it a bit because it wasn't mine.

DCI 80 seems a good option and I've read a little about the gearboxes are better than the 100's? How so?

I'd want a remap obviously... what power can I expect from either model? Whats the differences mechanically between the 65, 80, 100? Different turbo's? ECU mapping? Intercoolers (if they have them?) etc?
Personaly I'd leave it standard there not cheap to fix injectors are £200 each plus only a renault computer/dealership can program them to the car fuel pumps are £300.

100 are rare and I don't rate the gearboxes I'd have the 80 instead.

Boxes are nicer to use and are more reliably on the 65 and 80's though the 100 uses a later type box which is a bit rubish.

65 model about 80~85hp
80 about 105hp
100 about 120hp.

Mappers cna get more or less though you can get near enough 100hp from a 65 but life span and wear and smoke are big plus most mappers won't do it.

Differences are well do a search basically

65 no intercooler
80 has bigger injectors an intercooler (FMIC altough not as good as the 100's one) and a turbo with slightly higher boost pressure (0.1 bar)
100 has different high pressure fuel pump injectorsa are repuated the same checking renault computer but I don'tthink they are original the same. intercooler as mentined above and different turbo with slightly more boost (0.15 bar reputed)
Bottem end bits are stonger as well.

thats superb mpg he would have to be driving carefuly 55~60mpg is more normal depend how you drive etc I've seen 29mpg and 85mpg before now.

Mods are a bit low on the ground remaps are the big thing there a K and N out.
Oh really? I haven't had any problems yet but only done 30000miles. Should I be worried?
Depends not much you can do is there?
my wife bought a new 65bhp dci in september and averages 63mpg its nippy enough but around town but on motorways lacks power, friend just sold his ford racing puma for a dci 80bhp it has a bit more poke and different cooler, i think the 80bhp offers best value for money and should take the extra power better from a map.
80 has an intercooler the 65 doens't. The 80 doens't take extra power better though its just got different bits so starting at higher power.
about remaps,
dci65 will get you 80-90bhp
dci80 " " " 100-112bhp
dci100 " " " 125-135bhp

dci65 has different injectors than the other two, dci80&100 have the same injectors.
all have delphi common rail pumps, which gives respectivly 1400-1600 and 1800 bar.
1400 bar on the 65 and 80
1600 bar on the 100

Those remap values are a bit high though IMO.
Ive read sum people takin the piss out of the gearbox on here. Ive done 20,000 problem free miles with mine up2 nw, so i definately wouldnt advise anyone to settle for an 80, because there is a few rumours of problems on the 100. Most cars have problems, i had a bmw mini that had to have a brand new gearbox at 15,000mile!!

On the modding side of things, there doesnt seem to be alot available for dci's. U can get the usual exhaust, dump valve,filter, remap/box. The biggest power hikes seem to be with the remaps. Ive been told, anything else (ie>intercoolers,turbos etc)has to be custom made, which equals big bucks!!

The only other thing i wanted make people aware of,is 100s have discs on the back too. Not sure how relevant this is to people, and what other clios hav them (apart from the rs's,obviously)
Some 80's have the rear disks.
You've done 20k so no insult meant but that not exactly mega miles or experiance on the gearbox. All cars have isues yep but the 100 box has more than it fair share. Its not rumours about gearbox issues though.

Dump valves do nothing on the cars its a chav thing only.

mines steathy no dci branding ;) its ture 80s dont have rear discs even the mk3 dci86 doesnt depending on trim
Some 80's Mk2 phase 2 do.
My sis has a Dynamique S 106, very nippy + lots of features like push button start etc etc
Yep the 106 has the new TL4 gearbox as well.

CB600FS
Hello,

I have a dci 80 and am thrilled with it. Got it remapped recently to around 115bhp and it's so much fun. Not blindingly fast but it's only a 1.5l engine after all!

Well put!! That about sums up K9Ks.

1.5dci65 Dyn/Billabong
My dci 65 does 60mpg (60.5 says the dash comp!), and thats all mostly motorway driving, does around 64mpg around town. Looks pretty smart, gearbox is smooth as anything. Mines a Dynamique with the Billabong pack and the previous owner suped it up with a double spoiler and i think they had something to do with the sport badge on the bacl lol good car tho, next car will defo be a dci ;)

Golf GT TDI PD 150 & CLIO
I have a mapped DCI 100 now approx 125bhp and loads of torque!! it flys!! I have covered 36000 miles and not a single issue with it, gearbox is as good as it was when it was bought new!!
go for the dci 80 is a load of rubbish!! its a lesser car with weaker bottom end lesser intercooler etc etc if you can get one go for the 100 all day

I have a DCi65 and my dad has a DCi80

The 80 is without a doubt a bit quicker, and return roughly the same mpg, mine is slightly better but i only use it for longer runs just now..

It never fails to hit 60mpg, £35 a year tax, and it has all the toy, climate control, rain sens wipers etc :D

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
I have a DCi65 and my dad has a DCi80

The 80 is without a doubt a bit quicker, and return roughly the same mpg, mine is slightly better but i only use it for longer runs just now..

It never fails to hit 60mpg, £35 a year tax, and it has all the toy, climate control, rain sens wipers etc :D

climate on a dci 65 - fook that is very rare

Black 182, Landrover SWB
Mrs had the 80 Dynamique on a 53 plate in met blue for two years.

It was an absolutely fantastic car - nippy, cheap to run - always did 55+mpg and had all the toys - climate, auto lights & wipers, electric sunroof. The only thing it had in that time was a set of tyres and brake linings.

Sold via ebay in summer with @35,000 miles for about £4,500.

I'd have had kept it, but we had to get a larger car for her and it wouldn't fit my company car policy. I'd recommend them totally.

clio 1.9turbo diesel
i have a dci 80 chipped and k&n filter, i put it on a rolling road 2weeks ago and had 120bhp and 160torque which i was happy with. i get 50mpg aswell so i would go for the dci 80 i love mine. and is nippy aswell.

Shed.
Don't know loads about these but been hearing that road tax is like 35 quid a year for them?!?!

I'm getting annoyed at my petrol bills for a not especially quick car, tax is expensive considering it's performance and I just fancy a change.. Something as quick for a hell of a lot less running costs would be fantastic and I'm hearing good things about the Clio DCI.

Many thanks :D

the 80's are ment to be the best bet. Though personally id go get a 100 and have it remapped and also have an intercooler added, the only problem with the 100 is that the gearbox is made out of toffee (which is what ive been told).

the 65's are ment to get about 60-70mpg lol. People claim to have had 700 miles to £40 worth of diesel. Motrway driving n s**t ofc.

Im regretting not getting one now, i went for another 1.2 16v instead, dont know if i could put up with an 8v piece of noisetank.

^^true, purely motorway miles in mine and i was hitting above 600miles to the tank, probably just over 650.. which is awesome really..

Dad's 80 doesnt get quite as good mpg, but i think its more as he is doing shorter journeys

i have a dci 80 chipped and k&n filter, i put it on a rolling road 2weeks ago and had 120bhp and 160torque which i was happy with. i get 50mpg aswell so i would go for the dci 80 i love mine. and is nippy aswell.
Won't be 120hp unless it pumping out black smoke and is on a very strong custom map.
the 80's are ment to be the best bet. Though personally id go get a 100 and have it remapped and also have an intercooler added, the only problem with the 100 is that the gearbox is made out of toffee (which is what ive been told)..

100 already has a superb intercooler on it.

Have a search about week gearboxes although it might even have been discussed earlier in the thread.