ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio engine problem

clio172 cup rally car
after running a standard engine in our 172 for 3 seasons of tarmack rallying thought it was time for more power so we built up an engine using 287 cams high comp pistons ,steel rods and jenvey throttle bodies after a remap it was showing 235bhp at 7000 approx 30 miles into its first event it dropped onto 3 cylinders and was knocking from the top end after stripping it down we found the inlet valve on no1 cylinder had snapped and wrecked the head and piston
what i would like to know is are valves a prob with the f4r engine and also what should i set the limiter at [it was set at 7800] also will a head from a 197 fit my block
thanks for any help
will philip

ValverInBits
It's never come up on here. Valve issues have never been a problem. Not sure about your cams, have you got stiffer/double valve springs in there?

ITB'd MK1
there's a tech update from renault about valve heads. Seen a few fall off, but IMO it's from over-revving and bouncing off the limiter.

Image044.jpg

spoke to a guy from a works rally team that uses the F4 and he said they've had several failures due to heads falling off

clio172 cup rally car
some more info on our problem after a total strip down 1piston is u/s one valve has snapped near the head and the bore is badly gouged .The other 3 pistons have contact marks on the crown from valve contact ! any ideas why this has happened ? and any solutions?