ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio gone mad ?

ph2 172
When I took my clio out a couple of days ago, it started flashing up a bewildering array of warning lights STOP, SERV, ABS, ESP, BRAKE warning and AIRBAG also other functions controlled by the stalks stopped working - most notably the indicators. Whenever I stopped or dipped the clutch the lights went away, and the car behaved. I limped the stricken beast home, and left it until I had some time to investigate.

The next day it wouldn't start, dead battery. So I replaced the battery with a good one. The car now starts fine but as you increase the revs the warning lights start to appear. I connected a voltmeter across the battery terminals and while it reads 12.6v with the engine off, and 14.4v at tick over the voltage continues to climb as revs increase, showing well over 17v by 3000 rpm, by which time the cars new array of bonus features are fully active.

Am I right in thinking this is a fubar alternator causing all this ?
Is there anything else worth checking before I fork out for yet another alternator ? :(

PH1 172
Check the connectors are securely fitted on the alternator mate but tbh with a volt increase like that I suspect it is a fooked alternator!!