ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Guru's Doors Phase1/2

Clio hybird
After some advice from those that really know,

I am currently have a Phase 1 project sitting on my drive. When it arrived the N/S door was sitting completely differently to the O/S so for this reason I believed it had had a knock. It also had Phase 2 door strips on so I'm sure it is not original. I now have a 182 sitting on the drive to use for the project and since the doors are in better condition I thought I'd swap them over.

The O/S one is against the wall and the car is on stands at the moment so although its the one that is causing me issues I've had to look at the N/S one first. Also I know the N/S one fits well on the Phase 1 so it's correct.

Here is the Phase 1 door then the Phase 2 door on the Phase 1, The Phase 2 gap is bigger and the top of the door sits proud of the roof edge.

Phase 1 On 1 Gap.jpg
Phase 2 on 1.jpg

Now both doors on the Phase 2, The phase 1 sits really close to the roof in the centre, The Phase 2 door, although not perfect sits with a fairly even gap along its length.

Phase 1 on 2.jpg
Phase 2 on 2.jpg

Also the Phase 1 door on the Phase 2 shell leaves the rear with this extra lip that sits smooth with the original door.

Phase 1 On 2 Lip.jpg

So Gurus?
Although they physically fit are Phase 1 and Phase 2 doors different? OR Are they just badly made and a door will bend to the line of the roof?

I'd much appreciate an answer before I go on a search for a decent Phase 1 N/S door and ends up fitting no better than the 2 doors I have.

Thanks in advance, Deano

Attachments

• Phase 2 on 2.jpg
    Phase 2 on 2.jpg
    445.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Phase 1 on 2.jpg
    Phase 1 on 2.jpg
    651.9 KB · Views: 40

robzracing

ClioSport Club Member
Yes I’d say just pretty badly made. There’s some old footage floating around on the internet of a Renault factory with a technician bending a door in all directions and hammering the catch with a mallet to get it to fit! So with those sort of tolerances and probably some variation in the rolling over the years between phase 1 and phase 2 I’d say that’s the problem.
A bit of fettling required but you should be able to improve the fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clio hybird
Yes I’d say just pretty badly made. There’s some old footage floating around on the internet of a Renault factory with a technician bending a door in all directions and hammering the catch with a mallet to get it to fit! So with those sort of tolerances and probably some variation in the rolling over the years between phase 1 and phase 2 I’d say that’s the problem.
A bit of fettling required but you should be able to improve the fit.

You mean this one ?

Factory Door Fit

Think I might have a go at the N/S when the cars back on its wheels 😂😂