ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mis-fire......i think?!!

clio 1.6 16v 2001 (Y reg)
i have a clio 1.6 16v dynamique+, i bought it from reg vardy last year and i've had nothing but problems with it. my latest problem is, as far as i can tell, its missing!
i went to my nearest shopping centre and the car seemed to run as close to normal as it ever does. when i came back to the car and started it, it sounded like a subaru (i wish!!). i'm not joking, it sounded nice but it sounded so so wrong!!!!! it was like this all the home. no acceleration or anything. it just dragged its ass along the highway. it took me 1 mile and a half to reach 60mph!!!!
i put my mates code reader on it and it read a mis-fire on pot one. so, put a brand new spark plug in that pot (just to try it) to see if that would sort it. it stopped running like a tank but you could still hear it missing while idling. so i swapped pot 1's coil with pot 4's and the reader read a mis-fire on pot 4. this obviously told me it was the coil!!! so of i popped to the nearest clown dealers and bought a nice new coil. put the coil straight in and it semed ok until i started to drive it. it started missing intermittently (i think thats rite). it was only missin when i accelerated and made my way through the gears. so i replaced the spark plugs this didnt sort it ether. i waited a few days and took my plugs out one at a time to see if there was any oil getting into the chambers and i found what looks like oil in pot one on the plug threads. none on the electrode, just the threads. its getting progressively worse and now this morning i gave up and i cant use it. its booked in to get repaired but thats not for another 2 weeks!!!!! its drivin me nuts!! it cant be a seal cos the car gets bursts of power. if it was the head gasket then i'd have no power or very little constantly!! this is intermittent. what i found in pot one only looks like oil, doesnt smell like it. i can only guess its un-burned fuel. could it be a dodgy injector? shagged fuel pump? split fuel line? it stinks of petrol when i start it and now and again i get a faint burnig smell through my heater vents. my oil level hasn't gone down as far as i can tell and i've had this problem for about a month now so i think i would notice a change in level. the car has 50485 miles on it. if that helps.
in all i've changed the spark plugs and one coil and the problem wont go away, i've tried using v-power for two weeks thinkin it was just crap in the tank and lines and it didnt change a thing. plus the engine management kight keeps coming on. i've done the dash board test thing and that showed an injector problem an oil pressure sensor problem. which i accidentaly cleared....woops!

can someone please help?? otherwise i'm gonna have to use on of those bus things that i've heard about!! ha ha

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Re: ffs!!!!! clio mis-fire......i think?!!

sound like another one of your coils has gone the stuff on the threads is prob fuel not to worry about if its not on the electrode. It passably could be your crank sensor gone thats why it don't start, is there any lights on, on your dash????????

tiTTy & SV650

coils go one after the other, you're as well changing them all

Last edited:

just been outside to check my leads and found two that have been cut and soldered back together. not a good job either but they're connected and insulated. i had a feelin another coil had gone but i'd rather ask for an opinion. it just seems i've got the problem mainly on pot 1. i've tried the new coil in pot one all the way thru to 4 and it makes no difference. even the plugs in the other pots all look fine its only pot 1 that is caked up. looks like the so called mecha-necks at reg vardy will have to sort it...... or pretend to.
there's no lights came on the dash just engine management light and everytime the code reader is connected, it reads a misfire nothin else. to be honest the car is riddled with problems, has been since i bought it. finance company and vardy's couldn't give a f**k. they just pass the buck. vardy's have even sent me to benfield renault because they couldn't sort it. and its a vardy's warranty i got!!!!
i tell ya, they saw me comin!!!!!!

i must have had 'mug' tattooed on my fore head when i sat in the sales office!!!:clown:

sound like another one of your coils has gone the stuff on the threads is prob fuel not to worry about if its not on the electrode. It passably could be your crank sensor gone thats why it don't start, is there any lights on, on your dash????????

the car does start, i've just gave up on it.:D

Have you let you radiator water get low if car has overheated it could have warped and is letting abit of water into engine. Another thing is that you piston ring could have gone, head gasket could have blown also

182 Cup

When that happened to my 1.2 it was a problem with the engine coil. The whole thing needed replaced, £300 :(

Have you let you radiator water get low if car has overheated it could have warped and is letting abit of water into engine. Another thing is that you piston ring could have gone, head gasket could have blown also
nope! never. i'm always checking the levels on the car. i had a feeling it could have been a valve stem oil seal, head gasket or maybe oil control seal on a piston. but the biggest suggestion is the coils. thats my main guess. if the gasket had gone i'd have low compression constantly. this problem is mainly when i accelerate, power then no power then power. it judders and misses, sounds sh*t and feels worse. doesn't sound too bad at tick over but ya can hear the odd slight hickup!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Your menat to replace coils in pairs or ideally all at once. But say you change pot 1, change pot 4 too.

i didn't realise they had to be changed all at once until one of the guys on here told me. i've managed to get the car booked in for monday morning to get sorted but i'm not sure if the coils are covered buy reg vardys auto protect warranty. they told me that if any parts that need replacing are not covered by the warrnaty then there will be a £76 charge just for the diagnostics test. thats before they do any more work. how sh*t?!

By the way if you use your car whilst a coil has gone you will damage your catalyst

i didn't realise they had to be changed all at once until one of the guys on here told me. i've managed to get the car booked in for monday morning to get sorted but i'm not sure if the coils are covered buy reg vardys auto protect warranty. they told me that if any parts that need replacing are not covered by the warrnaty then there will be a £76 charge just for the diagnostics test. thats before they do any more work. how sh*t?!
Wow £76 thats alot i paid £25 for mine

the 76 quid is before they do any work to the car. i can get it tested down the road for 25 but i no vardys will test it anyway. just more expence.
how does it damage ya cat? the cat is covered by the warranty so it should'nt be a worry. HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!!

Fuel goes on to it and desolves it so Renault say anyway lol
1 of my coils went last night:(

Rsport182Cup'd
and i helped with it!

i have had a cat replaced on warranty, this on the coils keeps on coming up, the problem is so bad that AA for renault assist carry them in their vans.

so calling all ren assist peeps.

IF YOU NEED RENAULT ASSIST FOR WHATEVER REASON TELL THE OPERATOR YOU NEED THE AA AND NOT AN AGENT, THE AGENTS DO NOT CARRY SPARES AND VERY OFTEN DO NOT HAVE PLUG IN DIAGNOSTICS ON BOARD. AA WOULD DIAGNOSE AND REPLACE AT ROADSIDE!

BEEN THERE DONE THAT

Lol Rac do the same they have them in there vans its daft how often they go do 182s have same problem???

Rsport182Cup'd
Whilst Holding and Touching The Biggest Piece of Wood Closest To HandRuss Says:

i have not had a problem

yet!

m-tec bmw 325 ci spo
i had this problem with my 1.6 changed one coil pack then the next day another one went you need to changin all the coils at once put a new set of plugs in and it will puurrr like a kitten

already replaced one of my coils (the obvious mistake instead of replacin 2 or all 4) and i've already changed my plugs.

had to pull my dash out today to remove stereo so vardys wont moan about it (obvious warranty reasons)!!:( the exhaust comes off 2moro and the standard one goes back on!!!!:dapprove: :dapprove: other wise i no they will blame that for it missing or whatever other crap they come out with!!!! you no the story,
" sorry but because you did that we will charge you a complete fortune, laugh at your feeble attempts to argue that 'its meant to be like that' and then tell you to 'come again'" :mad:

Clio Trophy no.123
Hi guys

Same problem with my '02 sport172.

i left it at work for 2 days, started fine as always.
felt a little sluggish at first then after about 500 yards became a scooby!! and not in a good way, its lost a lot of power although still revvs throught the range as normal.

this happened before xmas so i had the plugs changed which cured it.
i had a service done less than a month ago and all seem good, only 1 stutter since plugs changed.

then this, its in the garage now

plugs changed again (for free) all coils changed, its still the same...... there trying leads next.
apparentely the plugs (on for about 3 months) are pretty sutted up (black).
It has a powerflo back box but is standard otherwise.

Help lol as i'd just put a deposit on a clio Trophy so need to fix it asap before part ex-ing it on tuesday!!
Sods law eh!! help please could it be the leads or maybe cat?

cheers in advance, Si

Clio Trophy no.123
thanx Ryan i'll tell the garage to have a look

any more ideas?

i'm a little desperate lol

Cheers;)

Give it a good run and check oil levels, make sure there is no noices that are not normaly there. if oil is black you have a problem lol

Clio Trophy no.123
nope no unusual noises other than the scooby sound and the normal renault squeaks lol

think they said oil was fine, although only changed 3 weeks ago lol
its weird how new oil and plugs sorted it before.
their gonna code read it in the morning, i've asked to check out the Llammda sensor aswell, proper nightmare eh :(

Clio Trophy no.123
icheers for replying
it doesnt vibrate, but sounds un-even with that strange scooby sound to it. when pressing accelerator it drags its way up the range like a tractor! still accelerates but probably at about 60% power.

it is lumpy on iddle and the engine note is very unneven, glides along ok but pressing the accelator peddle brings it back.

Clio Trophy no.123
thats what they figured too, they've put a whole new coil pack on
they figured that would sort it but nope its still the same.:mad:

nightmare! :(

Clio Trophy no.123
if they carnt fix it by tues afternoon reckon i'll have to chugg it over to the Dealership...... then it will cost big time!! oh s$%t!!

Clio Trophy no.123
bugga!!! i always miss the freebie lol
its made me think looking at an earlier bunch of comments on this thread saying the AA etc carry spare cats to cure some of these problems

i only use Super (usually Sainsbury's but often shell V or Bp ultimate)

help lol

When your coil goes excess fuel falls into cat witch apparently dissolves it witch makes it useless don't think it will solve problem with engine but will help MOT lol