ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio MK2 Clutch Snapping off regularly

05 Clio MK2 Campus 1
Preface: I'm a noob, I'm 18 and this is my first car, I don't have much time available to take it apart or have it not working, nor money to spend on testing different things to see if 'that'll fix it' type stuff.

So to be quick here, I have an 06 (it's an MK2 though) 1.2 clio campus, with a pretty serious clutch issue. When driving, normally about 10 minutes into driving, when in traffic or just moving slowly (1st gear/neutral), seemingly randomly, there will be a loud snapping sound. The clutch pedal will be free moving with no resistance, not connected to the clutch cable. I found the cause of the issue, the way the (what i think) ridiculously designed spring mechanism works. The pedal is on a pivot along with the other pedals, and above the pivot bar is a bolt, a threaded extender bar and the main problem. The way the pedal connects to the spring back system that pushed the clutch cable back into the engine bay, and how the pedal is pushed back at you is a ball joint and a cup that connects it. If the cup (which often moves around from side to side) is in the wrong position at any point when I push the pedal down, it will pop off jamming the car in gear until i stop and turn the engine off. This has happened a few times (about 5 now) and I am getting quicker at fixing it, as it's just a case of putting the hazards on and reaching down under the steering wheel and putting the cup back on the ball, but I am scared that it could snap while I'm either doing 80 on the motorway or even when in traffic and in gear, so would rear end someone by accident.

Long story short, has anyone else has this tremendous f*** up of a design fail on them or has my car been repaired badly or something? If so, or even if not, what do you suggest to fix it? I was thinking either attempting to replace the ball and cup (hard to find the parts) or putting something like a single layer of electrical tape on the ball to make it a little thicker/stickier. What do you think?

Thank you in advance!

05 Clio MK2 Campus 1
Replace the linkage rod (the ball and cup thing you're talking about) and you'll be fine.
Thanks! Do you know where I could get the parts? I'd like to do it myself if possible, so would prefer to buy the parts myself too.