ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk3 1.2 'notchy' gearbox

Clio mk3
hi i have a 2010 1.2 mk3 clio on 34k miles,been having this problem for about 2 weeks now. Phoned the dealer i got it from as i had a 3 month warranty and it turned out i phoned them on the last day of my warranty. so anyway they came out and i expected them to take the car for repair and go without a car for a week or so. they had a look and put some lubricant on something to do with the gearbox because it was bone dry. they then took it for a drive and it was all fine for a day.

When the car is started from cold, sometimes 1st is very difficult to get into. When the car is warm most of the time the gear change is fine. but sometimes when i stop at lights i find it a struggle to get back into first. its not just with first sometimes its 3rd and 4th but never 5th(maybe cause the car is warmed it by the time i get to 5th). researched it a bit and think its to do with needing a gearbox oil change?

anyone else gets this problem?

Clio mk3
nope no crunch,just feels as if its hitting something. but if i go to second then up to first it seems to go in to 1st

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Engine off... can you select gears okay? Sounds like a slave fault rather than the gearbox to me.

Clio mk3
i think its the same,not sure i'll have to have a look. when i researched it some other people had the same problem

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If its the same with the engine off then its going to be a box issue. If its okay when the engine is off it'll be a clutch/actuation issue.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The clutch is hydraulic so its unlikely that you'd 'feel' a fault with the slave cylinder (which is the part that actuates the pressure plate) at cold if it turns out to be this... this is why we need to try and pinpoint the fault before pulling it to pieces and potentially rebuild a box that doesn't actually need it.

Clio mk3
on the weekend im going to get the oil changed. any idea how much it is in a garage? and if that doesnt solve the problem ill have to look further into it.

Clio mk3
Box oil change will be around £50-60 I'd guess
before i started the car i went in and out of the gears,seems to be hitting something as i explained above. feels really stiff so my guess is it needs oil changing or some lubricant on where the dealer mechanic put it on. Going to give a mechanic a ring and price up a gear box oil change

Clio 1.2 16v
I got similar on a 2008 mk3 1.2, where the gearbox seems to occasionally struggle (won’t go in) 1st, 2nd or 3rd, about 10% of the time. Dip the clutch again and it will be ok. Not sure if the gearbox oil has ever been done at 104000mile!
Also, stick seems a bit sloppy when in gear, so not sure if this is a bush/linkage issue.
Any advice, please?

Clio 1.2 16v
Is the gearbox linkage assembly easy enough to replace on this, or is it serviceable?
Pretty sure this is what is causing my selection issue.
Gearstick is sloppy when in gear and selection issue seems intermittent.
Anyone?