ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk3 intermittently not starting. Very strange.

Clio Mk 3
Hi all, looking for some advice as I have a problem with my car and a few different family and friend mechanics seem to thing its different things. Looking for some more suggestions.

I've never had any issues with the car before. On cold mornings I've had to turn the ignition twice a few times, but other than that, no issues.

I'll tell the story how it happened.

Sitting in a lot of traffic, decide to turn the engine off but keep the ignition off for about 5 minutes or so, when traffic flow starts again, I go to start my car but ALL electronics have gone, nothing at all. Nothing happening when I turn the key. Then about a minute later I get the electronics to come on, but dash lights flickering, lots of clicking from the glove compartment area and window wipers going nuts and when I try to start the car, all electronics cut out for about 30 seconds or so.
Fast forward a bit, the car will not start even with jump leads, just a loud clicking noise when trying to start. The car will bump start, every time, and after bump starting it will start up fine with the key for a bit. But then will randomly stop starting with the key.

All the relays have been checked and they are fine apparently, battery is reporting a voltage of 12.8v.

Sometimes the dash reports a problem with ABS and PASSENGER AIRBAGS. Which I've read can be attributed to a battery problem.
Intermittently all the electronics will not work aswell.

I'm losing my hair over this issue, any suggestions will truly be appreciated as I'm in a position where I cant be without my car for too long right now.

Thanks in advance!

2007 clio dynamique
Check the earth cables , I had pretty much the same issues as you , if I remember correctly , there is a longish one from the battery that secures to the engine , it was this one that had broken on mine , this was the 1.4 engine not sure which yours is ?

Clio Mk 3
Just an update in case anybody suffers from the same issue, I checked the both earth straps, they were both fine. I decided to check the battery voltage, while under load, and while under load it dropped from 12.5v to 7 - 8v. Swapped the battery and the issue is fixed!

Thanks for the suggestion glowworm105, appreciate it!

Mk3 Clio dynamique S
I have the same sort of problem, car started fine, drove it home from work and an hour later it won't start at all. Lights on the dash will come on after 10 seconds or so but the engine won't turn over and a faint whining noise can be heard coming from near the battery, battery shows 12v when idle,when the ignition is turns it drops to around 9v. Also it will bump start but the eletrics Go off every now and then for a few second whilst driving but the engine will still run fine, Anyone any ideas seeing as your problem sounds similar, cheers

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Changing the battery and you'll be fine, but chances are it is the alternator.

Also just to scare yourself have a look at the issues I had with my 197 earlier this year and the f**king disgusting issue I had with corroded can wires.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mk3 Clio dynamique S
Changing the battery and you'll be fine, but chances are it is the alternator.

Also just to scare yourself have a look at the issues I had with my 197 earlier this year and the f**king disgusting issue I had with corroded can wires.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Why would a battery go flat and the car not start within what was probably an hour?