ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio mk4 rs200 Sport - Pre-purchase inspection revealed error codes

Clio mk4 RS200 Sport
I love this car. I really want to buy it, but I can't afford to spend an extra 3k on repairs.

Does anyone happen to know what these(Below) error codes mean/potential fixes? Should I still buy or just skip this car altogether?

DF001 - Oil Level Sensor Circuit Malfunction

DF0002 - Alternator Voltage Control Malfunction

DF0003 - Computer Main Supply Voltage Out Of Range

DF0047 - Battery Voltage Sensor Out Of Range

DF0051 - Combined Stalk On Steering Column Circuit Malfunction

DTC9328 Microphone Circuit Malfunction

The company that performed the pre-purchase inspection is State Roads. The guy that inspected the car was trying to set me up with his mechanic brother to fix these issues, is it possible he just pulled out a few wires to make it look like it needs to be repaired before purchase? I don't want to be too much of a conspiracist.

Attachments

• image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 30
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 27
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 24
  • image_5.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 27
  Clio mk4 RS200 Sport
We’re the fault codes cleared, take the car for a drive and see who’ve codes stay? I’d bet the battery has been low at some point and it’s thrown a lot of those up that aren’t actually faults.
The person that completed the inspection didn't clear codes, I believe. He had mentioned specifically that "Battery efficiency low, requires charge/test."

Clio mk4 RS200 Sport
We’re the fault codes cleared, take the car for a drive and see who’ve codes stay? I’d bet the battery has been low at some point and it’s thrown a lot of those up that aren’t actually faults.
I think you're right. One of the picture the inspector sent me showed the battery voltage at 11.7, meaning it's discharging.... probably just going to get a new battery.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
They could easily just be due to low battery voltage. Just a code read is fairly useless for issues like that, they should reset them and see if they come back.

Misfires or other more serious codes are different. Not sure how good the inspection was if they didn’t even stick a proper battery tester on it!

ETA there’s an alternator code there, so if the battery is low too then it could be that, but a basic multimeter check with engine running would show if it’s trying to charge.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Mk4’s are notorious for throwing up numerous red herring fault codes if there’s a minor blip in voltage. Clear them and see if any return..

Clio mk4 RS200 Sport
They could easily just be due to low battery voltage. Just a code read is fairly useless for issues like that, they should reset them and see if they come back.

Misfires or other more serious codes are different. Not sure how good the inspection was if they didn’t even stick a proper battery tester on it!

ETA there’s an alternator code there, so if the battery is low too then it could be that, but a basic multimeter check with engine running would show if it’s trying to charge.
He did do a multimeter check(11.7, see below, but he didn't mention that it could be what's causing the errors. He just tried to peddle his brothers business.. Pretty sure it's just the battery.

1655979985992_image.jpg

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Post up the registration to see if it’s a known car… but I’d be looking at a replacement battery.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Typical renault, stored previous codes prob related to low batt voltage. If eml is not on and everything working ok would not worry, get the place to put a new battery on it

Clio mk4 RS200 Sport
Post up the registration to see if it’s a known car… but I’d be looking at a replacement battery.
It won't be a known car(I'm in Australia). Everything about it is perfect and only has one registered female driver since 2016. Only 66,000kms, logbook serviced every 10,000, that's why I'm so confused as to why these errors would be popping up, but the battery makes so much sense.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
To be fair id expect fault codes stored on 90% of the modern cars out there if you go probing the obd with a scanner. No point in even looking unless its in limp mode/eml on.

If it has been sat for sale for a while batt voltage probably dropped through lack of use.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Ah, that is a battery tester, so it should give an indication of whether the battery needs to be replaced or not. It’s saying good/recharge so doesn’t look like it needs a battery.

It’s either just been sitting for a while or isn’t charging - but I’d hope they’d be able to tell you if the charging system is working ok or not.

Clio mk4 RS200 Sport
Ah, that is a battery tester, so it should give an indication of whether the battery needs to be replaced or not. It’s saying good/recharge so doesn’t look like it needs a battery.

It’s either just been sitting for a while or isn’t charging - but I’d hope they’d be able to tell you if the charging system is working ok or not.
The seller has said it's been sitting there for a while, rarely used because they have another car. I honestly think that's just the problem.