ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clio or Meg

197 or 225?

Votes: 4 36.4%

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters
  mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
After buying a 5dr 2007 ph1 Clio 1.4 dynamique I'm in the market to look around for an upgrade. I downgraded to the clio thinking it was a 'grown up' decision.. but it just doesn't compare to the a3 sline 170bhp I had before the clio.

I'm very torn between a megane 225 and a clio 197. I think the 197 is the best looking clio (imo) but the meg i've heard is a better car all-round, sort of like the 197's big brother.

As 197's are sitting very cheaply at the minute, finding a low mileage example thats been looked after wouldn't put me out more than 4k. Same can be said for the 225's, 4k is about right for a well maintained sub 65k miles example.

Anyone have any input to help me make a decision? I love the looks of the 197 (not a fan of the front of the 200) and think its a nicer car visually, but considering my time would be spent BEHIND the wheel, should i sway towards a 225? :stig:

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
I read a review somewhere online saying the Megan's was an RS Clio For grown ups.

I had the same dilemma when buying my latest Clio but came to the conclusion I wasn't ready to do adult yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fellow norn iron man, i'm not a fan of the 200 but the r26 is apparently better fun to daily than a 197

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Do you prefer turbo motors or N/A? Or are you just open to either?

I still think the 172 and 182's are the one's to have when looking at the Clio's. Very cheap, lots of toys (non-Cup models) and decent on fuel. Personally, the 197's and 200's look so much better but i'm not sure i could use one as a daily. They just appear to be a frustration but still very good on the right road at the right time.

I'd probably go for a Meg over the 197/200. They will cost more to maintain, with parts being more expensive and there is more to go wrong. However, it'd probably have to be an R26 over a normal 225 and a decent one will fetch a bit more. I'd try and get a test drive of both if you can and see which one you prefer.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Depends on driving style but the better car is the Megane as it's just a better daily.
Nothing wrong with a 225 cup either, bored of this it must be an R26 toss.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Ha!
Test drove 3 of them when looking, The one I have now was simply a nicer car than those, I also think Trendlines are a waste of time. I genuinely believe most people prefer R26's 'because seats' most couldn't give a toss if it has a diff or would even notice it has one.

It's always been the same 182's 0wnz 172's 'because exhaust'...

Ha!
Test drove 3 of them when looking, The one I have now was simply a nicer car than those, I also think Trendlines are a waste of time. I genuinely believe most people prefer R26's 'because seats' most couldn't give a toss if it has a diff or would even notice it has one.

I hate the 182 exhaust I prefer a 172 as they are slightly more stealthy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ha!

Lol. Yeah. Trendlines are toss, I'm with you there.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
R26/225 if you love turbo, effortless torque surge and throwing you back in your seat with all sorts of whoosh, hiss, burble noises
Clio if you prefer NA high revving, foot to the floor, wheel spinning lunacy with an exhaust note that screams at you when you should change gear

Simple as that really. Get a V8.

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
to be honest
Do you prefer turbo motors or N/A? Or are you just open to either?

I still think the 172 and 182's are the one's to have when looking at the Clio's. Very cheap, lots of toys (non-Cup models) and decent on fuel. Personally, the 197's and 200's look so much better but i'm not sure i could use one as a daily. They just appear to be a frustration but still very good on the right road at the right time.

I'd probably go for a Meg over the 197/200. They will cost more to maintain, with parts being more expensive and there is more to go wrong. However, it'd probably have to be an R26 over a normal 225 and a decent one will fetch a bit more. I'd try and get a test drive of both if you can and see which one you prefer.

i think I'm swaying towards the meg, but as you said, test drive in both. I couldn't go back to a mk2 clio regardless of drivability, i had a mk2 and now i have a mk3 i think for daily driving and for my own sanity i need a car that i can enjoy, but won't get me constant headaches from the missus. "Why did you buy an old car?" only so much i could take LOL

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ha!

Seats are gash - it's all about the LSD.

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
R26/225 if you love turbo, effortless torque surge and throwing you back in your seat with all sorts of whoosh, hiss, burble noises
Clio if you prefer NA high revving, foot to the floor, wheel spinning lunacy with an exhaust note that screams at you when you should change gear

Simple as that really. Get a V8.

the meg is closer to the a3 s line i had which i miss, think the effortless torque surge and being stuck to my seat with lots of whistles is what I'm after lol

B9 Audi A4 Sport
Depends on driving style but the better car is the Megane as it's just a better daily.
Nothing wrong with a 225 cup either, bored of this it must be an R26 toss.

There's nothing wrong with the normal 225's. Everyone i know that's had one seems to have turned out to be an absolute money pit though. I'm not sure if it's just a myth but the R26's seem to be much better screwed together but, saying that, they are newer so it could just be an age thing.

Also, and please quote me if i'm wrong, the R26 was a better car wasn't it? Granted the early 225's are VERY cheap now in comparison but i'm not sure i'd actually buy one at the uber cheap prices that some are going for.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I'll be honest, I'm more of an NA man. But I do really love driving my R26. It'll be going at some stage for another NA though (dc5 or Clio Mk3)

Clio 182
My 225 bored me. It was a late one with cup pack but it's wasn't fun at all.
I much prefer the drive of a 182 or a 200. Both of which I owned after the meg.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Closer than the clio 197, wouldn't you agree?
No. Not really.
A3's are not a driver's car by a long shot and S Line is just a trim level.
If you want a boring "car" that'll feel premium, they're okay. If you want to enjoy driving, then no.

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
No. Not really.
A3's are not a driver's car by a long shot and S Line is just a trim level.
If you want a boring "car" that'll feel premium, they're okay. If you want to enjoy driving, then no.

I guess upgraded suspension, seats, steering wheel etc are irrelevant for "enjoying driving"

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'm not slagging off an R26 - I'd have been in one now if this Trophy I have now wasn't in the amazing condition when I went to view it...

I like to tinker so I am prepared to throw a diff in it when the clutch finally gives up (I've had it nearly 6 years now and annoyingly it hasn't gone pop!) but I don't drive to work and think awww man I sooooo need a diff right now - Yes an R26 has the toys but it's also a lot more money to buy and the difference between a Ph1 and a Ph2 is a lot more that the cost of a diff.

Like I say it's just my humble opinion and I know plenty will disagree! I just love Nimbus, and it's pretty much impossible to get one in a Ph2, and I much prefer the front end of the Ph1.

I suppose it's like the support that the Ph1 172's get now, for a long time it HAD to be a ph2 but now they're getting more scarce people are coming round to the fact the Ph1 172's have a great front end on them.

mk3 Clio 1.4 16v
In the case of an A3, you're right.
You'll just understeer or fall asleep in a better cabin than the basic A3.

enjoyment while driving is individual though, if you have basic seats, you won't enjoy the drive as much as if you have racing seats, regardless of being in a 1L car or a 3L turbo.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
enjoyment while driving is individual though, if you have basic seats, you won't enjoy the drive as much as if you have racing seats, regardless of being in a 1L car or a 3L turbo.
Nothing to do with being a driver's car.
An S1 106 Rallye is a driver's car. 1.3 8v, shite interior and looks shite to most people.

Nothing to do with being a driver's car.
An S1 106 Rallye is a driver's car. 1.3 8v, shite interior and looks shite to most people.

It's all down to personal preference. My wife loves driving her Nissan Note (me not so much) it has sport seats and a nice level of trim, but put her in the 182 and she hates driving. It's too loud, suspensions too hard it's unrefined blah blah blah....

I think if you are a petrol head these are the things that appeal to you, me anyway. You actually feel like you have input right down to the very steering. So as much as a seat and Trim level have a small part to play its down to how it handles etc.