ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio paint qaulity

Clio 172 (flame red)
Has anyone else noticed that the paintwork on their clio seems to be extremley thin or not very hard (possibly both?). Had my 172 for a while now but it seems as it only has to see the smallest possible grain of sand and a chip appears on the bonnet that goes all the way through to the undercoat, so I basically have tons of minute white specs all over it. I am taking the car to Renault today to get some other work done on and I am wondering whether they might accept it as a warranty issue. I am sure that cars such BMWs dont get stone chips quite so easily!!

What do you think the chances are?

106 GTi
Paint does seem to mark and chip easily.

It is not soft though, with a machine polisher it takes a fair bit of welly to remove any defects. Its also fairly thick compared to what some manufactuers put on aswell going by readings that people have taken to measure thickness.

PM Brazo on here for exact figures.

Are the white specs not just stuff attached to the paint, have you tried claying it?

Clio 172 (flame red)
If you run your finger over them they feel like chips rather than being raised. I might try giving it a going over with some clay. That might help I guess!

172 Cup
The paint on my Cup is sh!te. On the second day I had the car (from new) I had 3 sizeable stone chips and I'd done 17 miles.

Now got about 30+ :(

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I never had any stone chips on my iceberg 172 for nearly 2 years , 12k a year as well , until i crashed it . After the repair the stone chips started to appear . On my new 182 , got stone ships from the second week on :eek:

Clio Trophy
Got some whopping stonechips on the front of my Trophy after only 10k miles, looks worse than my 205 does after 130k....

Conclusion - Clio paint is shite!

As father and son....
Clio paint is , in paint terms, hard. It doesnt mean it wears well mind you just means its a bugger to remove ingrained defects as Rich mentioned. I found it pretty difficult to avoid stone chips and so forth but you will on any car lets be honest. Least youve not got Honda paint.