ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Rally Car *Warning Small Engine Content*

172 Cup
Having got tired of sprinting making me modify my road/ring Megane beyond useable for its original purpose and seat time coming in all said and done at 30-60quid a lap. I've decided to stop sprinting my Megane and let it have some peace...well just ring trips (I've got a few this year) and trackdays.

Pic of Megane because I love it like a child...

So, I've decided to take the foray into rallying. Me and a couple mates often go up to Cadwell to watch the stages when it's on and constant watching of Irish tarmac youtube vids set me off.
My reasoning being I've done trackdays on and off for the last ten or so years and I had a couple of year foray into drifting so in my head its the combination of the two and I won't be completely useless. Likelyhood is 3 corners in I'm on my roof.

So the car.. I started by choosing a class. 1400... please don't start the debate from the other thread 2.0 etc etc I'm aware of the capability of the 1*2 but part of the fun for me is the build and the development. I'm lucky that my job gives me access to machine shops and engineering knowledge and that I also have a tooled up unit to play in thats my own. I sold my Mk1 Clio 16v which I think is on here somewhere as I'd lost interest as it was too original to ruin and this gave some unit space.

Initially a Puma was purchased. I personally can't get the hype and found the 1.7 uninspiring. So was filled with dread at the 1400 even tuned. I was browsing eBay one night and this came up I chucked it on watch and thought no more of it. Next day I was in the office one thing lead to another and I've fired a deposit blind :D I had a 172 a bit back as a B-road toy and loved every minute until the dephaser fell off :ROFLMAO: This spurred me on that despite their relative lack of use in rallying in the UK this had potential. Up until collecting it I spent the next few days working away so hotel evenings were spent researching they appear to be used in Eastern Europe and I know there's a few 2.0's on here so this thread will be about building it from the base abandoned project I bought and getting it logbooked, to my Bars test and events. Going to use this as a bit of a log of what I get up to. Hopefully people can chip in with advice and laugh/be inspired to try something new along the way.

So set off with the trusty 500quid Renault Master and my trailer to Wigan to collect it...

172 Cup
Finally got some time on the car this weekend;

First job was to reorganise the subframes as when I collected the car the seats lent to the insides pretty bad. Bit of google foo and I found that people have to spacer them so got some spacers turned up at work and got them fitted along with some new in date motamec 6 points I bought to match the existing seats.

Wrapping these round bars is much trickier than it looks. Fastened the wheel up as it was finger tight and went for an industrial estate special stage blast. Was a bit loud as she's got no exhaust at present but its very chuckable and fun to drive getting some play in before I rip it apart to do the suspension, brake and protection mods.

Stuck some temporary door boards on I had laying around to motivate me.. and got on with planning the next stage.