ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS 172 - +20 HP

Renault 5 GT/F4R
Recently a friend of mine finished his Clio tuning...
It is a phase I RS 172(732 engine).

By using a free flow air filter,group N cams,reflashed ECU,free flow metal catalyst and a cat back exhaust,the engine gained somewhere around 20 hp.

Of course it wasn't very cheap to do but at least everything(besides the exhaust) was bolt on parts...

The ECU reflash was supported by Fastchips in The Netherlands
http://www.fastchip.nl/

the cams are from Cat Cams with group N specifications(part number 5502420)
http://www.catcams.be/800x600/mainframe.htm?english

the replacement air filter is from BMC and the exhaust is a custom 60mm pipe with one single silencer.

Everything else is OEM(cam timing,cylinder head,compression ratio,sparc plugs,etc).
The cost for everything was under 2000E including fitment of the cams and the exhaust.

The dynorun below says 197hp at 6300 rpm but i don't know how accurate that measurement might be so add 14 hp to the older measurement that was without the cams and the reflashed ECU(183 hp) which is printed at the same dyno sheet...

Notice that the older measurement is still with the same exhaust(60mm & free flow cat) and air filter but with a reflashed ECU from another company.I suppose that the exhaust with the cat,the air filter and the ECU should be +5 hp from the OEM horsepower of the engine,so if you add them at the +14 that the Fastchips ECU and Cat Cams gave,it should be at least 20 hp over an OEM engine...

rs172catcams-fastchip-60mm.jpg

Renault 5 GT/F4R
The good thing about that set of cams is that they are homologated for all RS(172/182) so probably the power gains should be the same,maybe slightly better at 182s...

I wonder if an 182 would get more than 25 hp gain with the same stuff...