ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RS 172 Dyno Testing

Clio RS 172 Phase 2
The other day i went to my mate that has a own tuning company with a Dyno. When i did the first run it only had 141hp. After a couple of more runs i managed to get 151hp with the hood open and the heater inside on the max. So i would say that the engine temperature and the inlet temperature is too high. Now my point is, when i'm on the dyno, 4th gear around the 160km/h ( 100mph ) what would be the ideal inlet temperature. I just can't get the right HP's out of it but i'm 100% sure the engine is perfect.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
As above. If it's had a service and you suspect nothing is a miss then checking or getting the Cam timing checked is well worth it. You need to fit in a horseshoe shaped slotted tool into the cams while the crank is locked in the right position with a pin. If the horseshoe won't slide in easily with crank pinned in the right position it's wrong. Do some searching on the forum. Cheapo tools would be ok to check but possibly not to set the timing (can bend).

Others can advise the quickest way and minimum amount to remove to get access.

You will need a set of cam blanking plugs as these usually get destroyed on removal.

Last edited:
  Clio RS 172 Phase 2
Allready did the cambelt myself and with original timing tools. Timing is 100%

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
Is it standard? What inlet temps are you seeing? What's the fuelling like? How much info did you get from the dyno. Can'txadvise what it should be as the only inlet temps I've seen have been with standard Airbox while driving along so that's no use.

My bet is its wheel figure and 151 ATW is a good result ime.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Clio RS 172 Phase 2
Tested it with a Pipercross Venom airfilter and a exhaust system that leaked a bit just after the cat. Measured @ the flywheel ;) Locked the crank against the crank how it's ment to be
Also tested the inlet temperature on the road around the 150 á 160 km/h and it was 46 degrees. I could also read the NM from the clip, it was around the 200NM

Tested it with a Pipercross Venom airfilter and a exhaust system that leaked a bit just after the cat. Measured @ the flywheel ;) Locked the crank against the crank how it's ment to be
Also tested the inlet temperature on the road around the 150 á 160 km/h and it was 46 degrees. I could also read the NM from the clip, it was around the 200NM

Where was the mark on the flywheel? My money is you've got it in the balance hole.

Clio RS 172 Phase 2
I never saw an mark on the flywheel in the instructions. Any pictures ? I'm sure i turned the crank against the blocking pin :boring:

Lionel Richie
That's how you do the timing on 1.4/1.6/1.5dci the F4R is completely different! There is a line on the flywheel that lines up with the "0" mark on the gearbox

Clio RS 172 Phase 2
Hmm, just had bad instructions then :( But can anyone tell me where the '' 0 '' mark is ?

Hmm, just had bad instructions then :( But can anyone tell me where the '' 0 '' mark is ?

Here you go. This is crank locking inserted.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Clio RS 172 Phase 2
Yes ok, i understand that. But where ? Bottom ? Top ? Please a litte bit more specifically :rasp:

Clio RS 172 Phase 2
Awesome guys! I'm going to re-time that son of a b**ch tomorrow. I will let you know ! :clap: