ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio RT 1.4 Cutout problems

Clio RT 1.4
Hi all,

I recently bought a 1995 Clio RT 1.4 with service history, MOT etc etc. However, literally the day after we got it, it started cutting out all the time, after the engine getting to temp, it would cut out like every 50 metres or so.

After doing some searching, and a recovery guy looking at it, he said the mixture smelt really rich, and whilst running at idle, he had a look at it and said that it was flooding the engine with fuel just sat idle and so that would have been causing the cutouts whilst driving because it would be pumping even more fuel into it, getting the mixture wrong. Any how, he told us to check the lambda sensor.

Since that day (it's been about a month now), the car has had a new lambda sensor, new CTI sensor, new TDC sensor, rotary arm, distributor cap, and yesterday we also used carb spray to clean up the throttle body, idle control valve and air intake (was all very dirty, but made no difference).

After searching and searching, we seem to have replaced most of what seem to be the common problems with this car, yet, it still has the problem. It starts first time everytime without an issue, and whilst driving, it's amazing, can't fault it, it doesn't even seem to struggle for power or chug or anything like that, it just cuts out completely, yet starts again first time fine.

Just wondered if anyone has any suggestions or has any idea what the problem could be? Seem to be putting more and more cash into solutions that aren't doing a lot, and if possible I would like to avoid putting it in the garage as money is really tight at the moment (although it is starting to look like I dont have much choice and have to find the cash from somewhere).

Anyway, I figured after searching google, this would be one of the best places to ask, so if anyone can help, seriously, greatest thanks in advance. I love this car, it needs a bit of work doing to get it up to scratch and looking decent, but I don't mind that as it gives me something to do, just hope I can get it on the road or it's starting to seem like I'm £400 out of pocket with no way of getting to work :(