ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport 200 Auto

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
Hi all!

Haven't posted here in a long time, but many moons ago I owned a 182. Great little car until my (now ex) girlfriend tried to harpoon a Golf with it...

Anyway, I am back in the market for a hot hatch having spent the last 4 years concentrating on the VX220 (which is now pretty much sorted). I have pretty much 100% decided on the new 200 Nav Auto with the Cup Chassis and a few other goodies. So before I put my final order in to have it built and part with my hard earned cash, anyone think of any reason why I should have one? And before you say it, the auto box is immense and I don't want a manual in London :)

Ed

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Tbh, The 200 is not the best hot hatch. The ST is cheaper and then there is the 208GTI

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
I want an auto though, and don't like the Golf it's boring :(
What exactly is bad about the 200?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
couldn't buy one over the trophy, the Trophy fixes all the issues with the original car.

have a search online at the reviews, slow gear changes, gearbox getting confused, not very exciting engine, bit bland handling. etc etc

the 220 trophy has the extra 20bhp, more torque, higher rev limiter, stiffer suspension, more playful handling, much quicker gear changes and revised gearbox software.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I love them. Only one I've actually driven was a Renault owned one at one of their Renaultsport trackdays. It felt a bit slow (in my hands) compared to the Megane and a bit uninvolving compared to my Ph1.

In reality it was quicker than the Ph1 and certainly not slow. It delivered the numbers on the back straight and when the instructor took me round for a few laps I was given a WTF moment.

Sure the gearbox isn't perfect but it still seems like a nice car to have on the drive!

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
any thoughts on whether the revised GB software will be being shoe horned into the new 200s?

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Dont bother with the trophy, just get the leather seats if possible, cup chassis etc, if when you drive it you want it quicker take it to RS tuning and remap it but you will not be disappointed and ive found no issues with the gearbox nor has anyone who has driven my car. Why would you want a manual box in London anyway? :smiley:

VX220, RS Clio 200t,
and that is exactly what I have done. Deposit down on a 200 Cup, picking up on Saturday :) Don't like leather seats so got one with cloth. And yes as long as it is stealth (for the warranty) i'll be getting the remappng done :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
you cant map them stealthly though if they want to find it they will! so glad I didn't do mine after my engine going bang at 1700 miles on my older 200

Clio 200t
Dont know what the issue people have with the gearbox... Your reading too many reviews by people used to driving ferraris, go out and drive one yourself... The gearbox in normal mode is a little slow, but in sport and race its instant. Not exciting engine, well after a 2L screaming NA they are going to say that but its faster than my 197 and puts a smile on my face... Bland handling, only point ill slightly agree with you there, the handling is not as good as the last car (very marginal difference).

As for the trophy, yes a more honed car but not a huge amountof difference I can see, all theyve done is add a marginally bigger turbo and map the engine and gearbox and increase some margins. Suspension is the same though, just a quicker rack.

couldn't buy one over the trophy, the Trophy fixes all the issues with the original car.

have a search online at the reviews, slow gear changes, gearbox getting confused, not very exciting engine, bit bland handling. etc etc

the 220 trophy has the extra 20bhp, more torque, higher rev limiter, stiffer suspension, more playful handling, much quicker gear changes and revised gearbox software.

As to your last point yeah not smart mapping it in warantee period. RS tuning has done quite a few sucesfully now though. One guy running 240hp 270lbft.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Im not slating the car at all, it has its negatives, the problem is as a package its not good enough compaired to the competition to out weigh the negatives.
Look at the out going 200, crashy ride, horrid front bumper, s**t fuel consumption, none of this mattered because as a package, very little came close.

The 182 and 182 trophy aint much difference to drive, a tweek here and there that just helps the originals little niggles, too high seating position, skittish on un eaven uk roads. Doesnt make the original rubbish, just completes the package, and for that reason i couldnt have a normal one over a trophy.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Get out of a 200 then drive a dsg car you won't say it' A great gearbox then lol

Clio 200 EDC LUX
I owned a megane r26 with a short shift fitted sold it as I needed a 4 door for my now 7 month old son.

The box is lovely in traffic and perfect in race mode I used the lever when driving hard another nice touch. Plus all the driver aids are turned off in race mode.

It's deceptively quick too. Once the warranty is finished 4 years I will get a decat and RS tune