ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport Vs Skyline Gts

Colt Turbo, RSC172

My mate thinks that a skyline will sh*t on the clio ... waht have i got to defend myself (apart from the fact that it has been close to being chosen as performance car of the year by many magazines) ...

I know on the track it will rip a skyline to shreds, but what about on a straight line .. off the mark and also on a rolling start

can i please ask upon which planet you were born?

the new skylines are 4wd twin turbo, 276 bhp factory, and easily tuneable!

are you being serious?

Colt Turbo, RSC172

SORRY ...

1992-1996 (Stock) Nissan Skyline gtst which is RWD 2.0 single turbo

Vs

2002-2005 Clio Sport

i dont know the early skyline specs, but the turbos are centrtainly quick, and an rwd is going to have the edge on the fwds

i dont know about the old japs but arent jap cars limited due to laws over there, so once they get imported, it costs very little to get a lot out of them

sorry for being a smart arse in the earlier comment

Colt Turbo, RSC172

Its cool, didnt make myself clear !!!

yeah jap imports are cheap as in australia (to buy and to modify) !! but as i mentioned .. we are racing 2 stock cars here ...

let me find a skyline on the streets tonight and i will tell u all the outcome

Les

Suzuki SV650

i found (well, it found me to be honest), an old-ish skyline on the m1 once and it was like i had my handbrake on. wasnt a new one but possibly a gts or something like that.

if its a skyline, i dont think any rs clio (unless it was turbod) would stand a chance.

The GTS Skylines are w**k, 2 live has beaten a fair few down the 1/4 mile in his Williams... and pretty easily iirc. They aint quick anyway... now a Vspec... now your talking

172 cup TT

hi ya.. sorry ive "done" a local skyline near me.. its a white one with loads of bloody stickers.. looks quite nice but mine was edging past... take no notice of ravos comment, it was silly

206 GTI

My mate has a gts-t and they run 15sec 1/4s as standard so your 172 should at least give him a good run if not beat him

The problem is not a lot of them are standard but if your lucky enough to run into a Gts-t which has been unfettled you will be able to keep up no bother. The Gts-t was a 2.5 single turbo but 400bhp is relatively easy to obtain.

The GTS model is something crapper altogether iirc. No one seems to talk about them lol

ps Wtf is a clio sport? Have folk stopped calling them 172, 172 cup, 182 etc?

[Edited by BillyBhoy on 06 May 2005 at 1:46pm]

Quote: Originally posted by BillyBhoy on 06 May 2005

The problem is not a lot of them are standard but if your lucky enough to run into a Gts-t which has been unfettled you will be able to keep up no bother. The Gts-t was a 2.5 single turbo but 400bhp is relatively easy to obtain.

The GTS model is something crapper altogether iirc. No one seems to talk about them lol

[Edited by BillyBhoy on 06 May 2005 at 1:46pm]
getting 400bhp out of most 2.5 litre engines is prolly easy, its certainly not going to be cheap tho!

VaVa

Most people I know, who arent car geeks like us, refer to my 172 as a Clio Sport.

Quote: Originally posted by TheJesus on 06 May 2005

getting 400bhp out of most 2.5 litre engines is prolly easy, its certainly not going to be cheap tho!
Depends on what you define as cheap. It will certainly be a lot cheaper than buying a 400bhp car standard.

A lot easier to turn a Skyline into a proper fast car as opposed to a clio. Not dissing clios at all btw. I love them. There is exceptions to the rule however like J3ned (spelling) who has the TT clio and big respect to them.

The point im making is that id rather chuck a few grand at a skyline and see some big gains as opposed to a clio sport.

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 06 May 2005

Most people I know, who arent car geeks like us, refer to my 172 as a Clio Sport.

Was chatting to a mate the other night and he brought up the clio sport, and i said what the 172 cup (as thats the one he meant) he said yeah, they have about 150bhp dont they. So i had to explain to him what the 172 meant. Some people!

Mind you, he drives a Chrysler Neon RT, and thinks its the fastest thing since sliced bread. Someone told him they are 210bhp standard, is that right?

Quote: Originally posted by Blue_or_Blind on 06 May 2005
You dont find much quicker than sliced bread these days

Lol!

Nice comparison Guilby.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Theres an R33 GTS near me, looks nice but I dunno how quick it is.

My mates Nova valver kept with a GTS once.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

I have a tunning vid somewhere and it says it costs around £3500 to get 400bhp out of a skyline

ian

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Why do people hear the word skyline and assume it;s a fire breathing all conquering monster??

They did a 2 litre NA that was slow as sh*t :)

The GTS-T is pretty quick, 250bhp through the rear wheels isnt exactly going to be slow but pretty heavy, would expect 0-60 in 6 secs. Also was a 2.5 straight six turbo from R33 onwards.

The GTR is the only 4wd twin turbo nutter basdad model.

And technically the "new" skylines are 3.5 litre N/A coupes using the 350Z engine, they dont make the R34 anymore. Even then, the R34 was available in a GTT model with a 2.5 single turbo RWD.

Amongst other cars a friend has owned an R34 GTR in bayside blue tuned up to about 400bhp, that was then sold to make way for the mother of all lines, R34 V-Spec Nur 2 GTR (what a mouthful), this was tuned up to 500bhp.

He then sold it and bought a 911 gt3 rs, the git.

Clio 182

GTSs are slow, ive kept up with one from 30-100. Like ^^^ says, people think the word skyline means supercar, sadly it isnt the case, the GTS is pants!

Ive had a drag race with an R34 GTS & even though he got me in 1st gear (think they got long 1st ratio) i creamed him in 2nd & 3rd. If i had enough road, he wouldnt see me for dust. (i was in the V6)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

Id still love an R34 GTT as they look mean as hell (interiors are bit crap tho) and chuck a few quid at them and theyll fly.

i went in my mates skyline 2.0 single turbo and it didnt fell as quick as the 182, outof all the cars i have been in the 182 feels fastest, been in a sti impreza, rover 220 turbo, skyline, subura leg 2.0 turbo, vauxhall people carier 2.0 turbo forgot name of it. 182 felf faster imo sti was very quick tho

Quote: Originally posted by Davehughes on 07 May 2005

i went in my mates skyline 2.0 single turbo and it didnt fell as quick as the 182, outof all the cars i have been in the 182 feels fastest, been in a sti impreza, rover 220 turbo, skyline, subura leg 2.0 turbo, vauxhall people carier 2.0 turbo forgot name of it. 182 felf faster imo sti was very quick tho
prodrive 300hp impreza sti does 0-100 in around 12 secs non prodrive standard sti does 0-100 in around 14.5 secs 182 is around 17 secs.

the clios are quick cars which is why it amazes me to see so may fat birds and grannies trundling along in them. and also amazes me to see huge stupid exhausts and lexus lights on them ??? doesnt seem to be many people who want to properly tune the cliosport it already has an exellent power to weight ration and although £600 will give you 30-50hp on a turbo petrol/diesel £600 on petrol N/A mite give you 20hp so people dont bother.. but what they forget is that 40hp on a car weighing 1600kgs is feck all and 25hp on a car weighing 1080kgs is quite a lot.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Dont even know what an R34 "GTT" looks like but cant look any where as mean as the GTR. As for the interiors it has to be one of the BEST jap interiors especially with the graphic read out on the dash. G meter as standard with all the toys!!

STi Imprezzas are 261bhp standard and no offence would eat a Clio for breakfast. WRX non STis are 225 and about standard Cossie speed.

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by cliotuRS on 07 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by Davehughes on 07 May 2005

prodrive 300hp impreza sti does 0-100 in around 12 secs non prodrive standard sti does 0-100 in around 14.5 secs 182 is around 17 secs.

the clios are quick cars which is why it amazes me to see so may fat birds and grannies trundling along in them. and also amazes me to see huge stupid exhausts and lexus lights on them ??? doesnt seem to be many people who want to properly tune the cliosport it already has an exellent power to weight ration and although £600 will give you 30-50hp on a turbo petrol/diesel £600 on petrol N/A mite give you 20hp so people dont bother.. but what they forget is that 40hp on a car weighing 1600kgs is feck all and 25hp on a car weighing 1080kgs is quite a lot.
not on a 172/182 it wont

BMW 5 Series

The full nismoed R34 V-spec in blue that i "used" for 4 years was one of the quickest most wicked things i have ever driven full stop!

They were actually 350 horse in standard and the 276 quoted was for emissions etc.

When you turn on and the on board screen display spools up it was intoxicating.

In reality they were to much for general road work and i have more fun in the 182 by far.

In terms of speed and handling with the intelegent 4 wheel drive they would match anything on the road (and did), the clio cant really come close!

Thanks MM.