ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Sport - which one?

Renault Clio
Hi.

My name is Ash and I am currently thinking about buying a new car. I am 27 and this will be my 3rd year driving. I started off with a P reg Clio 1.4 Maxim that had 2 wheel trims, I currently have an 03 1.2 16 valve Billabong...
However all my convictions from before I passed my test and 3 years no claims are coming up in October. I want something fast and would not mind sticking with Clio but I drive 32 miles a day for work and the fuel consumption figures for the 197 are really worrying but a Corsa VXR apparantly blows up on a regular basis which would probably ofset the fuel costs

. I would like a 200 but can imagine kids smashing the windows with its double exhaust sporty look. Other options for me a Seat Leon FR diesel (power/ good mpg) or Seat Cupra 1.4 DSG.

Can anyone help me? I will be paying about a grand to insure all these cars but its the fuel that is worrying me.

I will drive like a woman 80% of the time and only boot it occasionally.

Glad to be here.

Ash

Renault Clio
Thanks Jon.

I have read many threads on my phone as of recent and thought why not just join :)

What you reckon to my question???

Ash

Listerine & Poledo
I've not driven them, but given you seem to be more concerned over daily civility and MPGs, I'd have thought the SEAT would have been a better choice.

Renault Clio
Hi, yeah but I am 27 and want something that I can have a good time in for a couple of years before I am 30 and my mrs demands me to start spending money on prams etc.
What do you drive? Realistically how many miles can you get from the 197/ 200's?

Listerine & Poledo
I know that place fella, I know it well. But I got sensible from an MX-5 and wound up in a Clio :)

I can't help on 200's, but a 172/182 will do 35mpg on a long run, but rumour on here is that 200's will struggle to do 30.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
hi and welcome

However all my convictions from before I passed my test and 3 years no claims are coming up in October. I want something fast and would not mind sticking with Clio but I drive 32 miles a day for work and the fuel consumption figures for the 197 are really worrying but a Corsa VXR apparantly blows up on a regular basis which would probably ofset the fuel costs

. I would like a 200 but can imagine kids smashing the windows with its double exhaust sporty look. Other options for me a Seat Leon FR diesel (power/ good mpg) or Seat Cupra 1.4 DSG.

convictions sorry? :s

the 200 is basically the same car as the 197 so they have the same mpg. i used to drive 44 miles to and from work in my 197 and went through around £70 per week.

you seem to jump to odd conclusions if you think a cars windows will get put through because it has exhaust trims on show :/

and why do you want something fast? just because?

id recommend going turbo diesel if you want something quick for a longish commute. have you looked at the clio gt 106? diesel engined warm hatch that can be remapped to around 125-130bhp iirc with a shed load of torque

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Hi, yeah but I am 27 and want something that I can have a good time in for a couple of years before I am 30 and my mrs demands me to start spending money on prams etc.
What do you drive? Realistically how many miles can you get from the 197/ 200's?

i used to brim the tank on sunday night, drive to and from work mon-thurs and have to put another £10-£20 for fri-sun.

i used to average 36mpg on motorway journeys, 40 if in steady traffic.

now i live closer to work i see around 30 (the road to work is a little more fun than a motorway)

i went for a drive to wales the other week and the trip computer read 21mpg lol

Suzuki Jimny
Welcome!

Where do you live if kids smash windows for having more than one exhaust tip?

Renault Clio
I do make the area I live in sound quite rough. I live in a town called Wednesbury in the West Midlands and have just moved into a new house and cars are parked on the street and I am probably slightly paranoid as the car I currently own would probably not lose too much value - even with the wing mirrors being removed with a house brick.

I want something fast so I can have fun/ feel the 'tug' of acceleration when I overtake. Sounds pretty childish I suppose but I initially like jumping in the car but now its just a nightmare - want the buzz back...

I have spent hours, probably days researching different cars but the clio gets the best reviews, pretty much everywhere and they look quite sexy too. I know the older models (pre 2006) are supposed to be good but as well as speed/ fun I want hassle free motoring.

Reckon I do 10000 a year but really cant decide what to buy. I like the Ibiza Cupra/ Bocanegra and they do reasonable MPG as do Cooper S but don't think i'm a Mini type of guy.

21 MPG is less than half I get now....

Has anyone had/ driven a leon FR TDI? and you may shoot me for this but I am not 100% clear on the differences between Torque and Horsepower and how they relate to 0-60 times etc.

Thanks for replying.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
if you want a tug during overtaking, definately get diesel.

and dont get anything lairy coloured. i s**t myself the first time i parked my new bright yellow clio outside my parents house for the first time (on a main road)

also, dont get a car solely on book figures. they are only for pub chat

Renault Clio
I do know what you mean and to be honest with my inexperience I probably wouldn't be getting the most out of the car. This again may sound pretty lame but I also want a car that has the Clio Sport image or similar. If you were doing all those miles that is way more than me. I probably do 220 a week. It's quite stressful. I walked around my house for 5 minutes and put an offer in - when it comes to cars there is just too much choice...

Listerine & Poledo
All sounds fairly reasonable to me.

Don't dismiss a well kept, late 182. They're all the car you ever really need for nearly all situations. Which is why they also got rave reviews and people love them.

Or, how about one of the Diesel Renault Sport Meganes? Hell, you can even have a 5-door one with leather!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Megane 175 is a great shout, I was just about to say it. RS styling with a powerful diesel engine :) I almost bought one but I found my car

if you're doing 220 per week you may get away with a 197/200 in terms of mpg

If you do go mk3 try and get a car with recaros, cup chassis, xenon lights, climate control and speedline alloys (if you're going to get a sporty car you may as well go all out :))

197 F1 team r27s come with recaros as standard and are a bit cheaper than 200s

Renault Clio
Had a look at the 175 but was never a fan of that Megane shape although they do get good reviews. The 172/182 s look smart but they are the same shape as my current Clio and I have had problem after problem as of recent. Thinking newer car will give me more piece of mind. Really don't understand the MPG, how can the older cars give more MPG - seems crazy.

I think it's a lot to do with the looks for me also but want a car that can back it up too. Had a little Go in a Fiest ST(white with blue chav stripes) bUt it instantly felt cheap when inside; with Renault I feel you get a decent standard that is infinitely better than those in the fiesta.

Sorry, it is probably infuriating because I am asking for advice but don't really know what I want myself. Are the Corsa VXRs going to gve a much better fuel return in the real world? They look extremely boy racing! The will defo get their windows smashed in where I live :)

Happy Bank Holiday

Renault Clio
Had a look at the 175 but was never a fan of that Megane shape although they do get good reviews. The 172/182 s look smart but they are the same shape as my current Clio and I have had problem after problem as of recent. Thinking newer car will give me more piece of mind. Really don't understand the MPG, how can the older cars give more MPG - seems crazy.

I think it's a lot to do with the looks for me also but want a car that can back it up too. Had a little Go in a Fiest ST(white with blue chav stripes) bUt it instantly felt cheap when inside; with Renault I feel you get a decent standard that is infinitely better than those in the fiesta.

Sorry, it is probably infuriating because I am asking for advice but don't really know what I want myself. Are the Corsa VXRs going to gve a much better fuel return in the real world? They look extremely boy racing! The will defo get their windows smashed in where I live :)

Happy Bank Holiday

Listerine & Poledo
The newer clios do worse MPG because they're a bigger, fatter car with, in essence, the same engine.

In fact, to chase output figures the 197/200 is probably tuned in a way that will only make the MPG worse.

I dont know about real world MPG for a Corsa, but I know they are disgusting chavheaps that rightly attract petrol bombs. ;)

Clio 172
Hi.

My name is Ash and I am currently thinking about buying a new car. I am 27 and this will be my 3rd year driving. I started off with a P reg Clio 1.4 Maxim that had 2 wheel trims, I currently have an 03 1.2 16 valve Billabong...

Can anyone help me? I will be paying about a grand to insure all these cars but its the fuel that is worrying me.

I will drive like a woman 80% of the time and only boot it occasionally.

Glad to be here.

Ash

Go for one of the VAG related 1.4 cars, Cupra, Polo, Fabia etc. All will return 40+ MPG with subtle but good sporty looks.

Never buy a car worrying about what might happen to it on the drive/carpark etc its out of your control.

Renault Clio
Hahaha. My Mrs can't drive but said she would never have a lift off me again if I got a VXR, but the triangle exhausts are sexy!!!

The Polo GTIs are too expensive
Couldn't drive a Skoda
BUT really like the Ibiza Cupras

It is just a toss up between Ibiza Cupra, 197/200 or Leon FR diesel.

Another question. When buying such cars would you guys buy them from an approved dealer? Independent or Private? I have always bought my previous 2 cars off friends and family...

Ash

Listerine & Poledo
I'd buy from an approved if budget and stock allowed.

Find a Bocanegra from SEAT, you wont go far wrong

Renault Clio
They are nice looking and supposed to be pretty quick. I Will have about 8 cash and the rest will be interest free credit card. My limit is 10 though in all honesty

Renault Clio
I can't buy anything until my insurance rrenewal comes through with 3 years no claims. About a month away I reckon. I live in Wednesbury in the West Mids - close to Walsall, West Brom, Dudley etc. The Ibizas are sexy and way fast enough for me accordin to the figures. The DSG will also make me feel like an F1 driver. The only thing that looks a bit shoddy is the interior but they have the power and don't scream 'smash my window, I'm a chavvy c***'...

Listerine & Poledo
well, they do a bit, but nowhere near as much as a Clio, especially if it has been "improved".

I know what you mean about the interior, Clio's aren't exactly special but a bit of leather wouldn't hurt would it SEAT!

Yeah, I know Wednesbury, should be plenty of examples within a reasonable distance when the time comes :)

Renault Clio
Hahahahahaha, 'improved' I read somewhere about a guy who was claiming his car puts out nearly 200BHP on a dyno (something tht measures power I presume) and someone commented 'the Nurburgring probably added 30BHP' funny man! Another thing I don't get is all this remapping people talk of. If a car had the potential to be faster wouldn't the manufacturers just do it? Or am I just being naive.
My friend has recently bought an S2000 and reckons no car I buy will beat it - he does however moan constantly about 25 mpg!!!

Listerine & Poledo
Manufacturers have reasons, like the quality of fuels available in different markets and such.

Also, why sell tuned-up cars that you'll then end up spending out billions on warranty claims for? The Evo needs servicing every 20 yards because it's such a highly strung machine. They can get away with that but trying to pull the same stunt with a Clio or Megane? Can't see it myself.

You'll struggle to hold an S2000 in the cars you're thinking of though, but don't race over a 1/4 mile, do a 350 mile challenge and see who gets out the other side first ;)

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Manufacturers need to meet emission standards and noise regulations so can only push engines so far... Then we get hold of them and can 'improve'* them.

Ibiza Cupras are 180bhp 1.4 turbos aren't they? If so, I can believe one made 200bhp

General rule of thumb with remaps; if it's turboed/supercharged then a remap can give decent gains. If the cars naturally aspirated (no turbo or super charger) and claim to gain decent bhp from just a map, they're probably wrong.

*depending on who gets hold of them and how they modify it

Renault Clio
I never looked at it that way just thought car manufacturers would want the fastest, most powerful model available. People talk of improved fuel consumption though and thought they would go for that.
Depends how quick he refuels I suppose!!!
Hopefully still be fast. The quickest car I have ever driven is probably the civic type S which felt pretty rapid so anything faster than that is going to be a bonus.
There is a Seat dealer not to far from where I work but have never seen any of the cupra Ibiza or Fr Leon's. Also close to me is an Autowrld that has a shed load of 200s. Need to get the balls to go and test drive one!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
They are moving into more powerful, more economic cars, next year the 2.0l n/a clio engine is being replaced by a 1.6 turbo engine. People are not happy about this lol.

If the fastest thing you've driven is a type s you'll s**t yourself when driving an RS clio :p I did lol. I came from a 1.4 clio which was as quick as my mates 1.4 type s and it was a massive step up when I first drove my 197!

Just go Drive them :) may as well so you can get a feel of them and take your time deciding which you prefer

Renault Clio
Yeah they are 1.4 TSI super and turbo charged. This car making 200 BHP was a Saxo VTS or something similar though if my memory serves me correctly.
My Mrs is desperate for me to get a FR Leon but that worries me - what is she planning for those back seats.

I mentioned I test drove a fiesta ST and it didn't really do anything for me but I don't think I took it past 4000 RPM and apparently you don't get power until after 5000 but my dad always told me anything over 4000 wrecks your engine. He drives a X reg lacuna sport with 140000 on the clock he has had since new. 1.6 16 valve...

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Lol unless that Saxo had forced induction it wouldn't have been near 200bhp

Tbh, most hot hatches don't come into power till 5k, when you test a clio, gently get it to 4.5-5k then hammer it, that's when the VVT kicks in and it gets into the power band. It's fine, they love to be revved :approve:

clio 182 sport
fiesta st should of been quicker than the civic type s :/ . . . . i dont know why your moaning so much about mpg, you dont do alot of miles, 10k is nothing . . . and 30mpg is still good from a clio 197.

not bein an ass but it sounds like your just making up exscuses.

:)