ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Struggles Changing Gear

As title Says. Just been getting a Clio on a V Reg 99 And When you try to select 1st, it struggles so almost always having to double the Clutch. The Same for Select 2nd a lot whether changing up or down. And even 3rd now again has problems getting into that gear. Would it be the Clutch or Gearbox or can it be fixed without replacing them.
Cheers Darren

Monaco Blue Mk2
I think most clio boxes aren't keen on 1st if you're changing down, they tend to resist it above a certain speed. But if you're having trouble in other gears it's likely there is a problem. If it's cruncing it could be that the clutch cable is shot and not disengaging the clutch properly or there could be a bigger problem such as worn syncros or just a generally knackered box.

Thanks and its not gold, haha. Getting Very Worried to what it could be. Really annoying in traffic jams etc as when you pull away and go to select 2nd it doesnt go in. finally get it in and when you stop doesnt go back into first so on and so on. grr

PS If you push on the gear stick whilst in 3rd and let the cluch of if really makes bad noise and bangs against your hand

BMW F31
mine does this mainly when coming from 3rd to 2nd it doesnt go in, have to have like 2/3 attempts to get it in sometimes have to almost stop to go to 1st then away and into 2nd. anyone know if this is common or what is wrong?

Clio
i have a 1.2 and my gears get stuck too, but it gets stuck going in to 1st, then wen i go to reverse into a parking space it gets stuck in reverse, so i push the clutch right down, still no joy, have to pull the handbrake up and then release off the clutch and then try again, some times takes ages! (hold everyone up) embarrassing some times looks like i cant drive (i can) LOL

'the clutch cable is shot and not disengaging the clutch properly'

That would Sound Like a Good Explanation . Can the cable be adjusted or anything.

Ph1
How can a cable be shot?? it either works or its snapped and then obviously wont work at all.

Try setting off in 3rd gear and see if your clutch is worn out.

Lots of Alfas
The clutch cable should be self adjusting, how many miles has it done? When (if ever) has it had a gearbox oil change. I think its your box.

www.renparts.co.uk
clutch realease bearing. When its sat at idle in neutral, put the pedal in then release th pedal, does it make a rattly noise like there is a marble in there?
ta
josh

Ill give that a Try Josh. The Clutch is Really Heavy as well. Was Like being at the gymn. Could imagine having a thigh like Arnie Swarz if I carry on Driving it.

So you think It is Deffinately not the Clutch Cable. As it just feels when you put the clutch to the Floor you wish it could travel further so the Clutch plate would lift higher. (I dont know much about cars so Dont take me word for that last bit)

I just ask because A lot of people seem to get the Same problem if they have change thed Clutch Cable for 3rd party one. AND Maybe the cable has snapped before I bought the car and replaced it with a 3rd party one

Last edited:

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
mine does this its is a 05 reg, crunches too when you change to 2nd sometimes to :( went back to reno and they said it seems fine but said it could be due to a worn engine mount so have ordered a new one

BMW F31
i've had mine up on the ramps, got a mate who works for ford, under the gear box its clearly visible that oil is coming from the gear selector where it enters the gearbox, does anyone else agree that this could be the cause of my gear selector problems??

clio 1.6 16v said:
i've had mine up on the ramps, got a mate who works for ford, under the gear box its clearly visible that oil is coming from the gear selector where it enters the gearbox, does anyone else agree that this could be the cause of my gear selector problems??
Has your gearbox run dry I'd try topping it up.

They get notch with low oil.

But It Is Broke to be honest Batman. Cant Continue like the way it is or else the other half will have an accident. I was talking to a woman who works at a Renault Dealership and she was saying it was probably something simple like it will be the cable for the Gear Selected or the Clutch Cable needs Adjusting. Maybe its because she is a 'woman' but is there such a thing as a cable for the gear selecter. I understand the clutch cable has an adjuster. But I thought this was like a Self Adjuster. Can it be manually adusted, and is it accessible to a novice?

dazsafc said:
But It Is Broke to be honest Batman. Cant Continue like the way it is or else the other half will have an accident. I was talking to a woman who works at a Renault Dealership and she was saying it was probably something simple like it will be the cable for the Gear Selected or the Clutch Cable needs Adjusting. Maybe its because she is a 'woman' but is there such a thing as a cable for the gear selecter. I understand the clutch cable has an adjuster. But I thought this was like a Self Adjuster. Can it be manually adusted, and is it accessible to a novice?
Yep clutch is sel adjusted are you using a none Renault cable as there rubish get a Renault one they work fine.

Clio doens't use cables to select gears its a bar.

Ph1
Buy a Haynes manual and check the possible area's that have been mentioned.

Ive found this book a god send over the last few years when ive had problems when no ones been able to help me.

Yet again it came to my rescue a few days back when i couldnt get reverse after polishing a engine mount. Turned out it was the gearchange rod that had twistered its self round when i jacked up the engine. 10 second job and it was sorted all down to that book

I did get someone to have a look at it. And he said the there is a common fault on them of the Gear Linkage Seizing up. Took it down and he Sprayed loads of lubricating oil on. Seems to be a lot better. But Not perfect though.

DaveLiquid182

ClioSport Club Member
  Mercedes AMG GLE 53
Sounds to me like the clutch is worn out. Classic signs are heavy pedal as you mentioned. And it sounds like its not clearing enough to get it into gear.

Dave