ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio to Boost to Clio?

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
Anyone done this? Had a clio, gone for boost then come back to a clio?

182, 6r GTi
yep had a clio mk2 1.216v went to a 200sx s13 modded to around 300bhp got fed up of that because it was always breaking so got a clio 182 ff loved my nissan was just to much hastle and rinced all my money. love the clio wouldnt go back

Silver 182
Im hoping to come from Boost (Corrado G60) to a Clio 182, just trying to sell the Rado now,

172 cup (again)
Went from a 172 cup, mk1 V6 and 182 Trophy to a (280bhp) Focus RS - boost is awesome and torque is different league to the clios but I sold that and came back to RenaultSport ownership and now have a 197 GW cup - love the car, just wish i had more time to drive it.

If I could have found one with nothing miles and in mint condition, I would have gone back to a 172 cup without hesitation though as it is the most involved car I have ever driven alongside my old Ford Racing Puma

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
I went from 182 to fiesta ST to 280bhp focus rs also and I'm thinking of going to a 197 just to cut running costs down

172 cup (again)
Matt - I have to be honest, my Focus RS was not much more expensive to run than my 197 - mpg is shocking for what the Clio is in relation to power, my 172 cup would run 40+mpg easily on a run and always mid 30s around town - my FRS always averaged 26-28mpg whatever way I drove it - only difference is that the FRS had to have super unleaded.

The 197 is ok on a run (34ish mpg) but is always low 20's around town - thats the one criticism i have for the 197/200s - fuel consumption is poor when you consider its only 190/200 bhp and fwd - guess the mpg in the 172 cup made it so special.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Matt - I have to be honest, my Focus RS was not much more expensive to run than my 197 - mpg is shocking for what the Clio is in relation to power, my 172 cup would run 40+mpg easily on a run and always mid 30s around town - my FRS always averaged 26-28mpg whatever way I drove it - only difference is that the FRS had to have super unleaded.

The 197 is ok on a run (34ish mpg) but is always low 20's around town - thats the one criticism i have for the 197/200s - fuel consumption is poor when you consider its only 190/200 bhp and fwd - guess the mpg in the 172 cup made it so special.

200 fuel consumption is a little better than the 197.

Mental 172 Cup
Haha. Cheers then. ;) Meg is as good on fuel as a 197 if driven well enough. Plus boost is FTW!! :)

ITB'd MK1
i've been back and forth between french hot hatches and jap turbo motors for 10 years. Been 2 years since i had any boost in my life and i'm missing it a bit

Clio 172
Yes, i had a Celica GT4 running around 300bhp. Didn't have it long due to averaging 15mpg due to only ever doing short journeys.

The power was superb though, and the grip was in a different league to the Clio with it having 4WD and good tyres.

In the end though the Clio is just the better all rounder with having good power, handling and the fun factor is massive for the money!

Would recommend boost at some point but you can't beat a fun little hot hatch.

Gman

ClioSport Club Member
  Mt10 Zx6r golf tdi
Me too, I went from a 182 Trophy to a Megane R26 and now back in a 172 Cup.

Loved everyone of them and do miss the Megane but I do love the feeling of a relatively well powered light hatch.

Ideally I'd have a R26 as my daily and the 172 Cup as my track toy.

LY Megane R26
Went from a ph2 172 to a Megane R26 to Leon Cupra 2.0TFSi running 300bhp and now i'm going back to a 182 to cut running cost down as just cant afford to run the turbo stuff no more. Especially when i'm only 22 ha. Insurance is half on the 182 to what the Cupra was costing.

172 cup (again)
Get yourself a 172 cup, wont be disappointed and running costs are very sensible. Wish i knew where my old one is...

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
I've gone from a 172 to a R26. I don't think I'll go back to a 172 unless it was just a toy for weekends and trackdays.

Clio 182 Trophy
Just come out of a 300 BHP mr2 turbo 0 to 100 in 12 seconds and in to a clio trophy am amazed buy the way the clio covers the ground on B roads, the Mr2 would have Killed me if I went that fast around corners. It was much faster on the straights thou but over all the clio is more useable.

172> Leon Cupra> Soon to be in a Dci80*

*Although still 'boosted' will be very different to anything I've driven before.

Last edited:
  clio 182
I had a 300bhp Seat Leon Cupa R before the Clio

The Leon was just effortless in getting to silly speeds where the Clio feels like you have to work hard to get it there :race:

But do love the Clio to drive just as much

RX7 FD
Depends on circumstance and desire I suppose.

I went 1.6 Fiesta --> Focus RS ---> Nissan 350Z ---> 182 Trophy. Only the fiesta and the trophy are similar really and I only sold the Nissan to reduce my costs but still have some fun. Turbo hot hatchery is fun but was more expensive. My 350Z was just in a different league in driving experience and build quality to all my cars.

I think a car is just a car. I get bored after a while and want to experience something else. No car so far has kept me gripped and made me think....."I will never sell" or "I feel like going back" The trophy is trying though.

172 cup and others
I'd find it hard going back to NA now I think.

I couldnt have no boost in my life! i got a zafira gsi running 250bhp that the mrs uses every day, my 172 cup for the track and a 1.2 corsa to drive to work in! As much as the zafira drinks fuel (20mpg) i couldnt get rid of it!

MattRS182

ClioSport Club Member
  #3 PH2 172 Flamer
I need to use my car every day for work so think Im going to get rid of the RS get a 182FF again untill im on a better wage :)

Black 200 Cup
I went 172 Cup > Hawkeye Impreza WRX > Lancer EVO VIII > 200 Cup. The WRX was little quicker than the 172 Cup and I do miss the boost of the EVO, but the servicing and thought of something horrifically expensive going wrong with it eventually made me sell. The 200 Cup is brilliant, though..I'm going to keep it, like I should have kept the 172 Cup. It's the only car I've patted the steering wheel of and said 'That'll do, Cup' :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
i have never driven a boosted car :( and only ever been in one decent boosted car. cant wait to try it one day though

Deja vu 182
Clio 182 - subaru wrx - Clio 182 - Mondeo zetec s tdci - Clio 182 !!! Safe to stay this one s staying even if i buy another car , bike test in the near future too ;)

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Ive gone from 172 to a mazda mps, and I'm pretty sure one day I'll be back in a RS clio

well i still own my impreza STI and bought the clio as a reliable spare car for getting to work and using on trackdays when the impreza is broken (most days ending in a Y)

2 totally different cars but my clio is a childish toy and the impreza you have to be a bit carefull due to the speeds you get to quite quick,,,,, oh and the fuel economy for the impreza will HONESTLY bring a grown man to tears ( 200 miles to a tank off boost,,,, 120 miles if having fun or,,,,,,,, 4 laps of the nurburgring on top of the lap ticket price !!!