ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio track car - which one?

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
I'm seriously considering buying a clio as a track car. Proper jobby stripped out trailered to track days etc. Im really unsure what would be the best base to start with. A ph1 172, Ph2 172 Cup, mk1 1.8 16v?

Or do I go completely different route and look for a 106 gti / saxo vts to use as a base for a track car?

Then there's the money factor. Am i best off spending £600-£700 on a 106 gti / high miler ph1 172, or am i better spending £1500-£2000 on a good condition ph1 / ph2 172 / good condition 106/saxo, that is less likely to need things putting right on it.

A lot of things to think about!

Any comments/advice much appreciated

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
For me it would have to be the 172 Cup, but I'm pretty biased ;-)

Although I am a bit partial to the Ph1 172, but it would potentially require a bit of further modification to get it to 172 Cup "spec" if we can call it that, i.e. air-con removal, ABS removal, etc.

Depends what you want from the car.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Im put off the cup by the lack of throttle cable, althought cups are slightly lighter than 172s (by 14kgs iirc?) which is obviously an advantage, and cups look so much better than ph1s!
I just think a clio 16v 1.8/ph1/106 would be a bit more raw than a ph2 cup?

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
Well, the Ph2 Cup doesn't have ABS, traction control, air con etc. It does have power steering and fly-by-wire throttle though... so it's a bit of a compromise really :)

There are a lot of possibilities, e.g. throttle conversions (or ITB's), power steering removal, ABS removal, air-con removal etc etc...

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Id love a trophy! Too expensive for a track car though! Looking at 106/saxo's now.. its tempting to buy one as they seem so cheap to tune!

Track 172, Focus RS
If i could turn the clocks back i would probably have bought one already track ready, ive loved converting mine into a track car and doing most bits myself, but i think i could have saved time and money on one already done.

182 FF
If i could turn the clocks back i would probably have bought one already track ready, ive loved converting mine into a track car and doing most bits myself, but i think i could have saved time and money on one already done.

This^ Always a few about because of people building them on their drives, and then doing a track day and shitting themselves lol

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
Got my eyes peeled for something save my Trophy from the track but I think its inevitable. .. Or might run the van..

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
What is your TOTAL budget, including the trailer etc.

Do you have trailer towing on your license?

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Dont have a set budget as such, but unsure if to spend £800-£1000 on a high miler 106/172/mk1 16v, or invest a bit more and buy say a 172 cup. The appeal of the 106/mk1 16v is the tuneability/rawness. Hopefully looking to spend anything upto £500 for a trailer. I think the 172 cup would perform best on track, but would it be the most fun? I don't know!

Cup In bits
The sensible money would be spent on a Cup 172, better suspension geomatery for a start above all other named benefits. Buy one and sell the spoiler and turinis for a good wedge = cheap track car. Fit better pads, lowering springs, RARB, good tyres, full geo and buckets and harnesses if budget allows.

Proper little track car, above spec is what my road car is at the moment along with new everything brake and suspension wise and it embarrases a lot on track.

James Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Williams 3 / 172 Cup
Interesting idea there Swede, how much will all of that cost roughly? And how much do turinis/cup spoiler go for?

Cup In bits
How ever much you want it too really depending how good you are at shopping around and waiting for the right bits to come up. Spoiler and wheels would sell for £450-£500 depending on condition and tyres.