ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Turbos!

BMW Z4 3.0i
Can all the people on here with 172/182 turbos please tell me their feelings on it? I think realistically it's not something I could ever bring myself to spend the money on. But there's no harm me asking is there? ;) Where did you get it done? What actual power and torque figures did your car get after the turbo was fitted? Do you have a 0-62 or a top speed figure? Are there any videos that properly show what a 172/182 turbo is like?

Cheers all!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
my pal steve had the bbpt turbo done on his 172!
he said its around 260bhp and 0-60 said by bbpt to be sub 5sec!
but everytime iv bin in steves car it seems to just spin! 3rd @60 then it spins! lol
and yh his bbpt log manifold is crap!
also bbpt say his top speed should be around 160mph but i dont think its changed frm 139!

Stave on here has his done looks a good job from what I saw very impressive.
I think Ktec said there went to 160 or something the gearbox and engine power band limiting factor as people have hit the limiter on stock cars before now.

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
truffleshuffle said:
my pal steve had the bbpt turbo done on his 172!
he said its around 260bhp and 0-60 said by bbpt to be sub 5sec!
but everytime iv bin in steves car it seems to just spin! 3rd @60 then it spins! lol
and yh his bbpt log manifold is crap!
also bbpt say his top speed should be around 160mph but i dont think its changed frm 139!

Sounds like he needs RaceLogic traction control!

BMW Z4 3.0i
I think traction control works by the computer sensing the wheels turning and comparing that to the rate at which they should be turning for the given revs. Basically it "watches" for wheelspin and then cuts the power when it detects it. The ESP is slightly different as ESP applies breaks to wheels independantly of each other in order to prevent oversteer. I think ESP may work in conjunction wo traction control though.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I've not done 139 in my car for a while but I remember that when I do get to 139 in 5th(top speed), the revs are nowhere near the 7k limit or whatever it is. I think it's more like 5500 or something. Surely all mk2 172 must have exactly the same gear ratio and so mustn't they all have the same amount of revs at 139mph?

GazCB said:
I've not done 139 in my car for a while but I remember that when I do get to 139 in 5th(top speed), the revs are nowhere near the 7k limit or whatever it is. I think it's more like 5500 or something. Surely all mk2 172 must have exactly the same gear ratio and so mustn't they all have the same amount of revs at 139mph?
80mph is about 4k or so. SO 7.2k is about 142
All the Mk2 phase 2 except for the 182 have the same ratios

GazCB said:
so we "just" need to get the revs to go to 8k and we have ourselves a 160mph clio?
We need the power as well it depends how the engine has been built if the turbos speced etc so power drops at 7k then you'r unlikly to get to 160 or whatever as power will have droped off and you'd need longer gearing from either different ratios or final ratio or bigger wheels.

BMW Z4 3.0i
I think you need uprated con rods and piston heads and all kinds of shizzle to get 9k revs! That or a motorbike engine.

BMW Z4 3.0i
Like I said at the start, I doubt I'd ever really go for something like that. I've thrown away a lot of money on cars but I think I've *just* got enough self restraint and past experience to know that spending £6k on a turbo conversion for a car I don't 100% love or want to keep forever, probably isn't the best idea!

16vturbolee

I had mine off the clock on 16s comin back from the pod hitting the limiter in 5th 155 on the clock's of 16vs so 160 in steves should be easy......

BMW Z4 3.0i
Off the clock... that's something to aspire to. What I bet will really happen is about a year from now I'll buy a 2nd hand megane 225 for around £8k. I'm probably going to be buying my first house in the next year so spending loads of money on a car isn't really a sensible option. My last car was a 1.6 16v megane fidji and I absolutley loved it to bits because it mwas mine from new. I don't have the same love for my 172. The fact I've had loads go wrong on it hasn't helped. Plus my 172 has depreciated faster than I've been paying off the loan so I've got about £5.5k left to pay and my car is worth £5.5k. Basically I've lost an entire brand new car (the megane) which I traded in against the 172 (which was 12 months old when I bough tit and the megane was only 18 months old with 2k of very tasteful mods, hence why renault were still keen to take it off me)

I feel like an oholic, an oholic of cars, a caroholic. It's all the megane's fault, it was prefect and now I have too higher standards. :( I had a shitty 1993 metro before my megane, but having a brand new car was like heroin for me, I want more. It'd be cheaper to actually start taking heroin I think. ...I'm off to find a drug dealer see if he'll part-ex a 172 on a kg of skag.

ah turbo lee! everything fixed then?
steve said you had a few probs with chargecooler from bbpt.
his is also off the road atm i think.
his engine mount has gone again apparently and its making it hard to get into gear properly

16vturbolee

yea all good now and i know about them mounts mines just startin to get a bit like that snapin into gear.

didnt you know steve is a drug dealer?
that how he affords all his crazy mods lol
hes allready spent £7600 on the turbo and wen he bought the car he paid £8300!
also i know hes has £3000 worth of alpine ice ready to go in!
hes a right gangster!

he moaned like f**k when his car went into bb! they said 3-5weeks max before christmas!and he never got it bk till feb! 3months!but then he did save around £1600 on fuel! lol

-172 Cup Turbo-
I brought the K-tec turbo kit and did the conversion myself with some advice and guidance from the boys. So far so good, effortless power and a grin from ear to ear!!!

Traction is a problem but if you use your right foot properly you can control this, have looked at race logics traction control sys. but thik i'm gonna go for an apexi boost controller. For about £250 you can control the boost pressure against the revs and what gear your in.
I haven't explored its max velocity as yet (don't wanna get a ban) but im sure it will do at least 150, 160 would be pushing it, plus the fact its not the most aerodynamic of cars.

I have kept my clio pretty standard and to watch peoples faces as you accelerate past them as though their standing still is well worth all the hard work and cash i put in.

I'm sure the other guys who have had it done would agree.

CUP TURBO said:
I brought the K-tec turbo kit and did the conversion myself with some advice and guidance from the boys. So far so good, effortless power and a grin from ear to ear!!!

Traction is a problem but if you use your right foot properly you can control this, have looked at race logics traction control sys. but thik i'm gonna go for an apexi boost controller. For about £250 you can control the boost pressure against the revs and what gear your in.
I haven't explored its max velocity as yet (don't wanna get a ban) but im sure it will do at least 150, 160 would be pushing it, plus the fact its not the most aerodynamic of cars.

I have kept my clio pretty standard and to watch peoples faces as you accelerate past them as though their standing still is well worth all the hard work and cash i put in.

I'm sure the other guys who have had it done would agree.

Start a thread with some pics. I havent seen ktecs turbo on anyones car yet.

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Yeah me either,would be interesting to compare it against the BBPT one. Its also 2k cheaper isn't it?

BMW Z4 3.0i
:S Holy mother f00king sheet! Was that the V-tec that sent the revs rocketing at around 8k?

Tangoed Works
Is that thing turboed, if so it takes a bollock load of revs to get that thing spinning! CRAZY

I think it was the turbo kicking in Gaz. Im presuming the other gauge was to measure boost.

truffleshuffle said:
buy a car with a turbo already fitted as standerd! trust me! keep the clio and spend the money on a mitsi! evo

Or buy a motorbike if you really want to go fast!

Fair enough ploughing money into 'yet another quick car' if thats your thing but IMO its a bit daft when you could spend under 1k and have a bike that'll blow any of them away...

u33db said:
Or buy a motorbike if you really want to go fast!

Fair enough ploughing money into 'yet another quick car' if thats your thing but IMO its a bit daft when you could spend under 1k and have a bike that'll blow any of them away...

true

BMW Z4 3.0i
I'd love to get a fast motorbike, but I'm pretty sure I'd kill or seriously injure myself. I've decided if I ever get a bike it's gonna be a cruiser :)