ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio V6 - but FWD.

VW Potato
Hey troops,

Hope you're all well.

Ok, ignore the logic and practicalities for a second, but which of Renault's V6 engines would fit under the bonnet of a 172? I've never been hugely keen on the rwd Clio V6, but I find the idea of a 172 with a V6 wedged under the bonnet strangely appealing. Has anyone done this do you know, and with what measure of success?

Cheers!

g

Fiesta ST
Surely you don't want too much power going through the front wheels? Hence why the Clio V6 is Rwd

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Anything can be done at a price, but handling will go out of the window, plus i doubt the transmission will fit? Also that sort of power through the front wheels? Crikey, that will shred tyres for fun!

The laguna V6 engine is the same as the Clio V6, yea? I don't recall any other V6 engines being used in Renaults? This 'one' engine is used throughout the whole car range?

Tyson.

VW Potato
cheers chaps.

yeah, I was a bit concerned by the issues of understeer and tyre life - I was going to cross those bridges later. I guess the fact that no-one's done it (yet) suggests it's not such a smart idea after all. Pity...I'd love the idea of a creamy V6-engined FWD 172! :)

g

E91 M Sport
I'd buy a Golf mk3 VR6 and spend loads on making it handle well instead if I were you.

In fact, I might just do that ;)

As above, its possible given enough time/money

BUT

Its not worth the money it will cost for the performance u'll get ;)

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Turbo your 172 for cheaper, and get more bhp, and top end grunt. Not many people in the country have turbo 172's. A dozen or so?

Tyson.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Dont bother - why would you wanna V6FWD a clio ???.....the V6 gives poor performance and it would cost you a fortune to do - choose something more practical and easier to fit. If you insist on doing it buy a cheap laguna V6 and use the running gear from that.

Last edited:
  VW Potato
I guess that outright/absolute performance isn't the goal, as much as smooth, creamy V6 power delivery in such a tiny car. I find that quite appealing :) Although I've not driven a Turbo 172, I have to confess that I'm not a huge fan of Turbo-charged four pots. Oddly - and stupidly - I'd probably persevere more with a Clio V6 than I would a Turbo Clio, but then I've often been caught short where logic and fair reason is concerned.

However, it does seem like I'm on a hiding to nothing with this idea, but I do appreciate your comments. It was a good 'what if...' scenario, if nothing else :)

g

Lux'd Glacier White R26
Just buy a Mk1 Clio V6...sell the 172, and together with the money you were thinking of spending on the V6 engine, add that to the money you get from your 172, then buy a Vee...RWD is the way forward, lol.

Tyson.

VW Potato
Tyson, I guess what I could do is buy a MK1 V6 and, to capture that front wheel drive feeling, I could drive it everywhere in reverse ;-)))

g