ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

clio v6 or civic type r

Quote: Originally posted by geordieclio on 27 July 2004

sorry dunno wot xk120c is im just 22

another guess 55
an XK120C is an old Jag sports car (soft top) I think???

So that puts age around 60 if Jag was new when owned?? (early 60s car or late 50s I think??)

Please put us out of our misery and tell us....:D

Simon.

Quote: Originally posted by CocoPops on 27 July 2004

Has to be said.

but why not consider a 350z? ie if he has the 25k needed for a V6, why not stay with the japenese and pick up a nice v6, rwd, 4 seater?
Nice idea but the 350z is a two seater too.

You cant really compare the V6 and CTR. I personally dont like either but if you want practicallity then the CTR is the way forward.

Clio v6

The CTR would stay cleaner too. Everytime you leave the V6 anywhere, youll come back to find a crowd around it and tons of greasey finger marks.:mad:

Print out some little specs handouts to save time answering all the questions about your V6.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 27 July 2004

Well I have been accused of missing the point of the V6.

I am guilty as charged, no denying it.

Dont get me wrong I do like the V6 and I wouldnt say no if someone offered me one. Its also a pretty nippy car no mistaking it. But I keep coming back to the main problem which is either practicality or price depending on how you view it.

I dont understand those people that say "I am not interested in practicality, I just want an extreme car". If you can live with V6 levels of practicality and want something extreme then you would have to spend the money on a VX220 Turbo. Its far quicker, handles better, is better designed for track days, every bit as driveable on the road and grabs more attention from bystanders (in my opinion) as it just stands out more from your every day family motors as opposed to looking like a Max Power cover car.

The Clio simply doesnt have alround ability in that price range because I fail to see even one aspect of the Clio that betters cars like the VX/Elise apart from the badge but then the Renault badge is nothing to brag about? That still leaves "character" but a modified supermini will never compete with a decent roadster on character - note I said "decent" as this rules out comparisons with the hairdresser fodder!

Now if the V6 was selling for £20k or less I wouldnt be comparing it with such accomplished sports cars/roadsters. Granted it would still be in the WRX price band but then its up to the individual to choose between looks/handling/character vs practicality. In that scenario I would "get the point" of the V6.

Good car, wrong price. If it was 18k Id be placing an order right now.
Thats your opinion mate, and your quite entitled to it. Free speech and all that. I admit, if you look at the basics £27k is a lot for "A Clio". But its a Clio in the loosest sense of the word.

However the V6 did blow the VX220 Turbo, R32, Z4, 350Z, RX8 and a few others out of the water in Evos Car Of The Year. So it cant be that bad

I "Get" the V6 and I bought one, because its the best all round performance car, in my opinion, below about £45000.:)

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 27 July 2004

Well I have been accused of missing the point of the V6.

I am guilty as charged, no denying it.

Dont get me wrong I do like the V6 and I wouldnt say no if someone offered me one. Its also a pretty nippy car no mistaking it. But I keep coming back to the main problem which is either practicality or price depending on how you view it.

I dont understand those people that say "I am not interested in practicality, I just want an extreme car". If you can live with V6 levels of practicality and want something extreme then you would have to spend the money on a VX220 Turbo. Its far quicker, handles better, is better designed for track days, every bit as driveable on the road and grabs more attention from bystanders (in my opinion) as it just stands out more from your every day family motors as opposed to looking like a Max Power cover car.

The Clio simply doesnt have alround ability in that price range because I fail to see even one aspect of the Clio that betters cars like the VX/Elise apart from the badge but then the Renault badge is nothing to brag about? That still leaves "character" but a modified supermini will never compete with a decent roadster on character - note I said "decent" as this rules out comparisons with the hairdresser fodder!

Now if the V6 was selling for £20k or less I wouldnt be comparing it with such accomplished sports cars/roadsters. Granted it would still be in the WRX price band but then its up to the individual to choose between looks/handling/character vs practicality. In that scenario I would "get the point" of the V6.

Good car, wrong price. If it was 18k Id be placing an order right now.

haha.. its funny how someone so uninterested in the V6 has so much to say. Its really simple,

Ur just not suited for the Clio V6 nothing hard to work out there? You just dont buy one ;) Problem solved..lol.

i paid £16.5k for my v6, mk1 ofcourse.

i will px it one day for the mk2. £27k is not too much for the clio. it isnt a clio really, you have to appreciate the v6 thing, its a cult following, and you only realise it when you own one.

i can honestly say i too wouldnt swap it for any of the TVRs, Lotus, or any other car under £45k.

and thats my opinion after just 120 miles before it gave me probs!

The Jinx

The thing that people dont "get" about the V6 is nothing to do with practicality, power, extremeness etc.

Its the sheer ludicrousness of it.

Thats the appeal. Some unhinged manufacturer though "I know whats a good idea. Lets stick a V6 engine in the back of the clio and give it RWD and 255 bhp."

Thats why the V6 is to be applauded. In an age where virtually any sporting car is part of a niche market sector, the Clio V6 255 stands completely alone.

Oh, and as someone else said, it did rather well in this years ECOTY. 4th if I recall.

Yaris Hybrid

"Lets stick a V6 engine in the back of the clio and give it RWD and 255 bhp."

Great idea, Renault should be congratulated.

"Lets price it at the same level as some kick ass sports cars and rally replicas that would eat it for breakfast"

Er not such a good idea Renault.

"haha.. its funny how someone so uninterested in the V6 has so much to say."

I am not uninterested, in fact I am very interested. I actually said "Good car, wrong price. If it was 18k Id be placing an order right now". I am not joking about that. I was in the market for a car up to around £20k in price.

I could have stretched to 25k but I dont have a garage so that put me off of buying an expensive/flashy motor. If I had spent £25k it would have been the VX and to be honest I wouldnt have even considered the V6.

In terms of bang for buck I felt the 182 and WRX were probably two of the best cars on the market. A V6 at 18k would be right up there with them and would win my cash for being so off the wall and crazy. The Type R was good but a bit lacking from the handling point of view and with a decent spec the true price is around 18k.

With the current pricing and the original question that started this thread being "clio v6 or civic type r" the answer has to be Type R.

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 28 July 2004

"Lets stick a V6 engine in the back of the clio and give it RWD and 255 bhp."

Great idea, Renault should be congratulated.

"Lets price it at the same level as some kick ass sports cars and rally replicas that would eat it for breakfast"

Er not such a good idea Renault.

"haha.. its funny how someone so uninterested in the V6 has so much to say."

I am not uninterested, in fact I am very interested. I actually said "Good car, wrong price. If it was 18k Id be placing an order right now". I am not joking about that. I was in the market for a car up to around £20k in price.

I could have stretched to 25k but I dont have a garage so that put me off of buying an expensive/flashy motor. If I had spent £25k it would have been the VX and to be honest I wouldnt have even considered the V6.

In terms of bang for buck I felt the 182 and WRX were probably two of the best cars on the market. A V6 at 18k would be right up there with them and would win my cash for being so off the wall and crazy. The Type R was good but a bit lacking from the handling point of view and with a decent spec the true price is around 18k.

With the current pricing and the original question that started this thread being "clio v6 or civic type r" the answer has to be Type R.

lol.. I still dont think your suited to buy a Clio V6.. u lack the understanding that most people above you have laid down so clearly. If it doesnt fit into your life style (affordability/practicality/etc) your just are not suited to it like others are... and the simple solution is...Dont Buy One! ;)

Itll be wasted on you.. ;) Its for real enthusiasts only, and I dont mean that sarcastically. Part of the reason its so rare... and exclusive has a part to do with its price tag...(not just the numbers of them that were made) it keeps it away from the Nova boys price range.. and into the hands of the genuine enthusiasts to appreciate.

Quote: Originally posted by mike8579 on 28 July 2004

The thing that people dont "get" about the V6 is nothing to do with practicality, power, extremeness etc.

Its the sheer ludicrousness of it.

Thats the appeal. Some unhinged manufacturer though "I know whats a good idea. Lets stick a V6 engine in the back of the clio and give it RWD and 255 bhp."

Thats why the V6 is to be applauded. In an age where virtually any sporting car is part of a niche market sector, the Clio V6 255 stands completely alone.

Oh, and as someone else said, it did rather well in this years ECOTY. 4th if I recall.

^^^^^^ ;) spot on.

Yaris Hybrid

Well rarity and exclusivity are indeed a point in the V6s favour. This would definitely appeal to Clio and Hot Hatch enthusiasts who want the ultimate Clio/Hot Hatch.

Cant argue with that. This is also an online forum for Clio and Hot Hatch enthusiasts so the V6 will be held in high regard here.

Someone who appreciates Clios and Hot Hatches but wouldnt class themselves as an enthusiast and who is out for a performance car would probably share my view that the V6 is a bit too expensive given the competition at that price level.

Theyre a bit like Marmite I think. You either love them or hate them. Itd have to be a pretty special car for me to spend 27k and im afraid the Clio V6 isnt, thats why ive not got one.

Yaris Hybrid

Ok now put a suitcase containing £10k in cash in the back seat of the Type R and see which one people would take!

I would take the type-R with the £10k suitcase, sell it and go buy a 5 month old V6 255 @£23K and have some money left over......lol;):D

Simon.

Mk2 Clio V6 / 996 C4S

Id still go for the V6.:D

There are better, and cheaper vans out there than the Civic TypeR. The Vauxhall Combi is better and also the old Fiesta Couriers. And for £17k you could get a pretty decent Transit.

toypop,

i do agree with some of your comments, but the CTR is an out and out boy racers car! i contiuously see kitted up ones with HKS style exhausts.

the CTR image in my eyes is a knob that thinks he is quick and cool, the V6 is an entusuasts car who knows what he wants, its a drivers car and takes some effort to learn, not like your typical hot hatch.

i along with many prefer the mk1 V6, and they can be had for £16k now, 2 years old with warranty remaining, a wiser choice IMO.

Yaris Hybrid

"the CTR image in my eyes is a knob that thinks he is quick and cool"

Couldnt agree more.

I also have noticed that your average Type R owner is not that smart especially with money and has almost always got their car by taking on crippling levels of finance.

Some of them are decent chaps though and I wouldnt let a cars image put me off of buying one. I judge the car on its own merits. In the eyes of the general public the Type R has more credibility and Kudos than the 182 but that didnt stop me buying one.

The image of the V6 owner is probably the same as that of a Mk1 Golf GTI owner - an enthusiast whos car is as much a hobby as a mode of transport.

dfdf

I still think its an unfair comparison to make given the difference in price between the cars. Yes I know you could buy a second hand one for the same price as a new CTR but the same could be said for any car. The clio will be more expensive to run,insure and service aswell. Not many ppl could live with a car with only 2 seats + no boot as their only car either.

The main problem Ive got with it is, as Toypop says, for the money you could buy something faster, better handling or more luxurious. Im sure there are cars out there for 27k that could beat in in every area. Having said that Id still agree its the best looking car you can buy for under £30k tho but I cant see the appeal other than that!

Reckon Ill go onto the type-R forum and post a "Clio 182 or Mitsubishi Evolution" thread as it sounds like Ive got an image to maintain being a CTR owner :devilish: I dont think many ppl will choose the Clio!

Im not trolling btw the way. Just saying that if the person who posted this thread is trying to decide between a ClioV6 or a CTR then it should be fairly obvious to themselves which car they want as theyre both completely different beasts:cool: