ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio VW 1.8T advice needed.

Looking for advice on what is needed to do the conversion.

What I plan on doing is having a long term build, and I fancy have a turbo build on the go while I still use the 182 as a track car, with the idea of when the clio engine was to give up on me I would be ready to drop the turbo in.

What I'm wanting to know is what is needed from what engine is best as they vary from model to model.

What manifolds are needed, what box is best and fits.

Engine mounts need to be custom, what has been used before and what's best.

Same for driveshaft.. Ecu setup, what needed done. Is it easier using VW clocks than clio.

Basically everything.

If there is someone with a breakdown on a step by step build guide something similar to the clio turbo build that's been posted before let me know

Cheers lads!

What's your power goals? Budget? How good are you with fabrication? Wiring?

Power wise I'd settle for 260+. Not aiming for the over 300bhp

Budget.. Planning long term project so no budget as such in mind the now. If possible to pick up used part that would be the preferred route.

Fabrication wise I have a mate who's a welder/fabricator by trade and would be willing to help out.

Wiring wise Im fine with that but not tackled car wiring before. Have a hand or two that could help out if getting stuck.

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
I need this information too so will be keeping an eye on this, just bought an Ibiza Cupra so I will use everything from it

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
Ibiza lump is the same as my s3 lump, AMK/BAM
Will fit with modifications which is expected with this kind of build, it's currently running 245bhp

53 Clio's & counting
Any 1.8T needs some decent conrods. Although some (like the BAM engines) have better stuff, they are still the weak point, so a set of decent rods, ARP conrod bolts, a K04 turbo and good map will easily see a genuine and reliable 270+bhp.

A k03S will get you 240 max, or a hybrid will spool up quick and get you to 265-270bhp.

You will need custom engine mounts, custom driveshafts, ECU and cusom loom to start.

Any 1.8T needs some decent conrods. Although some (like the BAM engines) have better stuff, they are still the weak point, so a set of decent rods, ARP conrod bolts, a K04 turbo and good map will easily see a genuine and reliable 270+bhp.

A k03S will get you 240 max, or a hybrid will spool up quick and get you to 265-270bhp.

You will need custom engine mounts, custom driveshafts, ECU and cusom loom to start.

If there was a donner car, the Ecu and loom could be used from that?

It's the custom shafts and mounts that Id like to see before attempting to make.

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
For such low power why go to such a ball ache of doing an engine conversion?

It's not just power that's taken into thought, its reliability also, and personally I'd say the vag motors are stronger, and have more potential.

My personal opinion anyway so I respect yours also bud

It's pretty much a myth about some being stronger Than others. Only real difference is on gudgeon pin size (19/20mm) compression ratio (9:1/9.5:1) and port size.

For such low power you'll be fine with any motor you can fine. You want an 06a variant though so you have internal water pump. You'll want a 210/225 inlet for ease of boost pipework.

I certainly wouldn't go transplanting any wiring, just bang it on standalone.

If you go with 02a/j box you've got the ability to run them as a cable clutch, but they aren't as strong as the 02M.

Drive shafts/pipework etc is all trial fit then manufacture.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It's not just power that's taken into thought, its reliability also, and personally I'd say the vag motors are stronger, and have more potential.

My personal opinion anyway so I respect yours also bud

Whilst I'm sure VAG motors may be stronger its the costs that mount up quick, he's got to source an engine, he's got to have custom mounts made, custom exhaust, custom intercooler pipe run, custom driveshafts then a new loom to run it, he'll have to incorporated the sensors from the Renault ECU if he wants the dash to still work or go full custom dash that works with his ECU of choice.

Turbo conversions for Clio's are almost plug and play now and everything is available off the shelf, so for me it just doesn't make sense to go through all that hassle when his current set up could do it.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I need this information too so will be keeping an eye on this, just bought an Ibiza Cupra so I will use everything from it
The Ibiza Cupra does not have the same engine as your S3. Cupra's only have a K03 too unless someones swapped it for a K03s. Which it would have to had to be 245bhp. Even then, that's the limit.

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
Whilst I'm sure VAG motors may be stronger its the costs that mount up quick, he's got to source an engine, he's got to have custom mounts made, custom exhaust, custom intercooler pipe run, custom driveshafts then a new loom to run it, he'll have to incorporated the sensors from the Renault ECU if he wants the dash to still work or go full custom dash that works with his ECU of choice.

Turbo conversions for Clio's are almost plug and play now and everything is available off the shelf, so for me it just doesn't make sense to go through all that hassle when his current set up could do it.
Fair point, just depends on your preferability really and how deep your pockets is I guess.
The Ibiza Cupra does not have the same engine as your S3. Cupra's only have a K03 too unless someones swapped it for a K03s. Which it would have to had to be 245bhp. Even then, that's the limit.
It's got a ko3s on it mate