ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

CLIO WILLIAMS 1

Hey folks.. im in the market for a clio williams 1. was just wondering what the going rate is for one, and what bad points to look out for?? :)

Golf GTI PP Mk7
could pick a minter up for £2000 i guess. why not go for a williams 3? they had ABS as an option and look a tad better in my opinion with the revised rear lights and different bump strips.

rust around the arches is also a common problem on mk1 clios so look out for that too.

williams and trophy
but williams 3s have sunroofs. not a good thing. the roof flexes at the rear of the sunroof over time., sunroofs always leak as well.

better off with a 1 or 2, 1s will generally fetch a little more than the 2s, due to the plaque. 1s are a little lighter than the 2s, no door bars etc, and personally, bar the grille, id say the mk1 trim is better, the bump strips are too big on the later models.imo.

what to look for.

bodywork...arches, all (or most) clio mk1s have a problem with rear arches, youl be lucky to find one that hasnt had, or needs work on them.. sills are also a bit prone to rust, near the rear wheels, just above and forward of the the rear beam is also a bit of a hot spot. most other places are generic throughout older cars, tailgates door bottoms etc etc... of course a williams 1 will now be 13 years old. so the paintwork should reflect this imo, a freshly painted car can hide many many problems, personally find the most original bodywork ed example you can find, even if it does look a little tatty, stonechips etc. at least you know the base shell is all good.

engine, should pull well from 2500 rpm, if its std. little bit of tappet noise(from cold), and pas pump noise is acceptable as the norm. good for high miles though.

trim, again the seats etc seem to stand up pretty well. the upright on drivers seat can sometimes lean a bit weird, which usually means the seat frames broke. probably the comfiest seats in a hot hatch tho, well supportive, and great for lots of hours sat in em.

1s are the best of the bunch imo.....but then i am biased lol.i have 2 of em ;)

thanks for all the info guys.. much apreciated, will keep looking and asking mucho questions until i hopefully get a goody! :)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
And then dont forget the running costs.Someone on here spent upwards of 20k keeping his on the road.
That aside they are a great looking car and the balance of power and handling will put a smile on your face.
I'd have one

ian

And then dont forget the running costs.Someone on here spent upwards of 20k keeping his on the road.
That aside they are a great looking car and the balance of power and handling will put a smile on your face.
I'd have one

Yep but you get good and bad ones and depends where you go to service them I'd buy one over a 172/182 any day.

Scenic mk1 (F3R)
ive got a willy 2 and the rear arches just about need doing. ive just taken the car off the road to sort all the little problems its going to take me a while and cost around 2k to fix but well worth it imo

williams and trophy
I'd have one

ian

er think you will find its more like £10k

that was jesus'....a lot of the money spent on that was labour, then he had the unfrtunate incident of some muppet putting a jack thru his sump, destroying the oil pump, which n turn destroyed the block. but hey....as edde says. if its taken somewhere where they actually know what they are doing then it wont cost that much .

i had the guy that did jesus' gearbox ringin me up a few times asking how it went in.....and then he charged him an extotionate fee for it taking him soooo long ..which is a big factor in why he spent so much keeping it on the road