ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio2 non a/c radiator bracket restore/rust removal using citric acid

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Morning all

Just restored a set of clio2 non a/c radiator brackets (same as 172 cup i believe) and thought id share the results.

Found a set on ebay on a random slam panel for cheap. Looked like they had been in the sea as expected. Did not get any before pics for some reason so only got a screenshot off ebay.
Screenshot_20220809-230252_eBay.jpg

Both bolts sheared right off even after soaking in penetrating oil as expected.

Ive used Bilt Hamber deox gel with success but opted for the cheaper option this time as id ran out of it. Bought 1kg of food grade citric acid powder for £8 delivered off ebay and mixed a few scoops full into hot water in a container.

Left for a few days with occasional agitation with brass wire brush. Can see lots of rust particles on the container.
20220809_124037.jpg

After 3 days soaking this is the result
20220809_125620.jpg
20220809_125622.jpg

All the rust removed even the smaller pits that is not possible to get with mechanical wire brushing usually. Amazing for little to no effort apart from waiting.

Rinsed off, drilled and nutserted repair
20220809_125637.jpg

Acid etch primer.
20220809_130449.jpg

Bedliner paint as top coat, all i had in stock.
20220809_134431.jpg

Stainless fixings and rubbers back in. Not bad for hardly any work.
20220809_231553.jpg

Anybody else used this method? I believe if you mix up the citric acid with wallpaper paste its identical to the BH deox gel but a lot cheaper.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
good work, always wanted to try doing something like that, got a feeling ill get carried away lol
Cheers mate. Its quite harmless stuff they use it in bath bombs and drinks and flavouring, but agree its hard not to start stripping every nut and bolt/bracket off to strip and repaint once you start lol.
I’ve followed the same process several times and frankly bedliner is the best finish after rust removal as it hides the pitting left. Top work as always mate
Cheers mate. Agreed bedliner hides a million sins its the best.

HSH

ClioSport Club Member
I have used citric acid on an rusty allen/torx/XZN toolset, left over night they came up good as new. The citric acid powder can be found for under £2 in Wilko for a box. Always worth keeping some for jobs like these.

If I want to be belt and braces for some parts exposed to the elements, I cover them in Hydrate 80. Then zinc spray and BH epoxy.

plees

ClioSport Club Member
  S/C Iceberg 172 Cup
Love the Bedliner. Mega hard wearing. Applies well and generally a decent finish! Tidy job!