ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio's "In The Twisties" ???

Civic Vtec y0
Right I own a Mk1 1.2 so I dont know what its like to go fast lol!

But what I want to know is what makes people think Clio's are great the the twisties? Is there any proof or is it just coz people say so?

Mk1 MX-5 next summer
i dont think us 1.2 drivers need to worry about twisties ahaha, we cant beat anything anywhere lol

Civic Vtec y0
I know I dont need 2 worry about them, hench the I own a 1.2 so dont know what its like to go fast!

I was just wondering why people say 172/182's are good in the twisties?

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
maybe read EVO? they test the best cars going and rate the trophy as one of the best for handling. I had a 1.2 16v cliosport and i tested it once round a tight bend, it came out of it, just, but after that i never had the bottle to take corners at speed again!! espec not in the cup it would be even worse lol .... if it was wet

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
john.med said:
I had a 1.2 16v cliosport...

what's one of them then?

its a 1.2 16v Clio Sport ... Y reg, black, sports seats, 14" alloys :eek:. Old shape ..... if you know anything about clios you will know what one is.

crazycup said:
its a 1.2 16v Clio Sport ... Y reg, black, sports seats, 14" alloys :eek:. Old shape ..... if you know anything about clios you will know what one is.

ignore john ^^ ... he's never got anything useful to say.

i know the exact car your talking about :)

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
fUbAr said:

i'm glad someone knows lol. Hell back in the day it was the one.....well when i was 19 anyways... none of this 172 at 17 business:D

1998 BMW e46 323i
fUbAr said:

If you ask a question you look foolish for a moment, if you don't you're foolish forever.

What's your prob Fubar and crazy',.. So I've only had a Clio for a year, previously driving mostly German cars... Shoot me now

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
john.med said:
If you ask a question you look foolish for a moment, if you don't you're foolish forever.

What's your prob Fubar and crazy',.. So I've only had a Clio for a year, previously driving mostly German cars... Shoot me now

thought you were taking the p.......anyway i'll get my AK47 out......

1998 BMW e46 323i
no worries fella, really never heard of one before. I've only had this car and an old R5 a few years back, that were renaults...

You having a bad day Fubar,.. Or ''ave we got beef''?

535d / t5 caravelle
Ryan said:
Right I own a Mk1 1.2 so I dont know what its like to go fast lol!

But what I want to know is what makes people think Clio's are great the the twisties? Is there any proof or is it just coz people say so?

yes, thats exactley what makes them so great, i used to have a clio 16v with well set up suspension and NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING ever touched it on the twisties, took it round silverstone ( trax 2000 ) i think, and nothing but a integra type r got close to me, and it was only a matter of time till he moved over, i now have a williams with standard suspension, its not quite up to scratch with the 16v i had, but nothings touched it yet, once its got a good set of coilovers on it, IT WILL BE INVINCIBLE HA HA ! :EVIL:

CJ

Blue ph1 172
john.med said:
no worries fella, really never heard of one before. I've only had this car and an old R5 a few years back, that were renaults...

You having a bad day Fubar,.. Or ''ave we got beef''?

Someones having a bad day and it aint fubar lol

bill said:
yes, thats exactley what makes them so great, i used to have a clio 16v with well set up suspension and NOTHING, and i mean NOTHING ever touched it on the twisties, took it round silverstone ( trax 2000 ) i think, and nothing but a integra type r got close to me, and it was only a matter of time till he moved over, i now have a williams with standard suspension, its not quite up to scratch with the 16v i had, but nothings touched it yet, once its got a good set of coilovers on it, IT WILL BE INVINCIBLE HA HA ! :EVIL:

"And then there was that Zonda that I left for dead too!":rolleyes:

"Nothing ever gets near me" :rolleyes:

"Nothing" :rolleyes:

"Ya hear me":rolleyes:

535d / t5 caravelle
obviously there are cars that handle better, but from my experience, these little bad boys can punch well above there weight, especially on a track or through some twisty back roads if driven properly, thats why they are so popular on the roads and on track, the invicible comment was obviously a slight exageration,:rolleyes: as said, why do you think top magazines like evo rave about them so much, and they still compare it against all the new hot hatches of today ;) had 4 or 5 mad laps with the integra on trax, then he let me through, probably due to punishing the cars for a few laps felt bad, as i sure did, and my tyres where getting more and more non existant lol. but it was going like fook and gave a hell of a battle!

I know they're great Bill, I love mine, it was your over enthusiastic waxing that made it irrisitible to quote your post.

No wonder nothing gets by you, I reckon your enthusiasm alone is worth 5 seconds a lap!

Good on ya mate, have fun.

Honda Civic Type R
Ryan said:
I know I dont need 2 worry about them, hench the I own a 1.2 so dont know what its like to go fast!

I was just wondering why people say 172/182's are good in the twisties?

coz they are mate. quite simply put. you should see how quick lei69gh on this forum can go round roundabouts and bends. then again he is a quailty driver. i think the main things that make them handle so well are the lightness, the grip and the predictabiltity. basically you can have a lot of confidence in a car like this and the feedback through the wheel is excellent so you can easily control slides and understeer (inevitable on fwd cars) and the like. the turn in is very sharp and quick and the body roll is pretty good. the only other car that drives like an rs clio is a 106 gti. they too are the nuts mate. just obviously not as powerful. but handle like a dream and can embarrass much bigger more powerful cars 'in the twisties'

Honda Civic Type R
"the only other car that drives like an rs clio is a 106 gti"

oh and a williams and pug 205 gti (so i'm told - never driven either myself)

535d / t5 caravelle
speedynz-looking back at it your right i was a bit over enthusiastic, ha ha, sometimes you get a bit carried away lol

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
What do you mean you dont know what its like to go fast in a mk1 ph3? Ive got exactly the same BIARRITZ model and its really quick and nippy. Appart from after getting to 70+ the steering wheel shakes, its really happy going quickly.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
206gti (138bhp model), saxo VTR, 1.6 proton gti thing (the 1 with lotus designed suspension), 2.0 cavaliar SRi are a couple i can think off the top of my head that havn't been able to keep up as quick with me round a bend.

and i was stuck to my mates bumper in his starlet GTT too untill straights

133/225/CLS AMG
I think its the combination of a small, light car, with wide wheels and good suspension that sets the RenaultSport Clios apart from a lot of the competition. Well not just thost factors but the way they come together on the car.

There are plenty of other hatches out there that are great handlers, a standard 1.2 Clio drives well but isn't a patch on the RS Clios. But with a bit of tweaking they should handle almost as well, just will lack the power!!

Nissan 350Z
The key to the Clios success...

1. Light weight; important for a car that conveys a good impression of speed and changes direction quickly.

2. Excellent levels of feedback; you need this to tell how close you are to the limit, to judge what the road surface is like, and how the car is behaving.

3. Good, but not too excessive levels of grip; important - too many cars are over-tyred and have too much grip - users will push em too hard and find the limits rather suddenly and with dramatic consquences.

4. Crisp, fast steering - the Clio is one of the keenest cars i've driven to respond to steering inputs.

5. Entertaining chassis - that "X-factor" that few cars have, and is perhaps unintentional by the manufacturer, but what makes the car feel "fun".

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
3. Good, but not too excessive levels of grip; important - too many cars are over-tyred and have too much grip - users will push em too hard and find the limits rather suddenly and with dramatic consquences.

That's so important in my opinion, and nicely aided by the feedback. You can get it to dance on the limit when you're in the groove.

There's nothing better than when my Cup's moving about beneath me :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
There are plenty of other hatches out there that are great handlers, a standard 1.2 Clio drives well but isn't a patch on the RS Clios. But with a bit of tweaking they should handle almost as well, just will lack the power!!

with a bit of tweaking they will handle better than a standard RenaultSport clio, everyone always says they should handle nearly as good as a 172/182 as if its a totally different car when in reality its not!

stick some better dampers, springs and tyres on a 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 and it will handle better than a standard RS clio. as nearly everyone on here who has owned a well set up non RS, who now owns a 172/182 will tell you.

What do you mean you dont know what its like to go fast in a mk1 ph3? Ive got exactly the same BIARRITZ model and its really quick and nippy. Appart from after getting to 70+ the steering wheel shakes, its really happy going quickly.

Get the tracking checked its most likly out.

Nissan 350Z

with a bit of tweaking they will handle better than a standard RenaultSport clio, everyone always says they should handle nearly as good as a 172/182 as if its a totally different car when in reality its not!

stick some better dampers, springs and tyres on a 1.2, 1.4 or 1.6 and it will handle better than a standard RS clio. as nearly everyone on here who has owned a well set up non RS, who now owns a 172/182 will tell you.

It might handle better, but if you havent got the power to go with it, you aint gonna be keeping up... not to mention, an RS owner doesnt have to spend extra on the car to make it handle, it already does :D

5. Entertaining chassis - that "X-factor" that few cars have, and is perhaps unintentional by the manufacturer, but what makes the car feel "fun".

^^^Think thats where Renault have really excelled. I don't think its unintentional - they done it before with the Williams. Its surprising how many other manufacturers cannot deliver in this department.

Nissan 350Z

^^^Think thats where Renault have really excelled. I don't think its unintentional - they done it before with the Williams. Its surprising how many other manufacturers cannot deliver in this department.

Its probably the one thing in my eyes that seperates good cars from great ones.

tiTTy & SV650
well from dumfries to the m74 yesterday on the a701 I overtook about 15 cars, people didnt dare overtake where I could with ease. Point to point on country roads they are amazing fun and very quick.

Only I and a dude on a Honda CBR999RR Fireblade got to the front of the queue. And I had my bike on the roof.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
It might handle better, but if you havent got the power to go with it, you aint gonna be keeping up... not to mention, an RS owner doesnt have to spend extra on the car to make it handle, it already does :D

they handle good standard, not brilliant ;)

and as for not keeping up, a well set up, well driven 1.2 will not be lost with a 172/182 on twisty roads, yep the 172/182 pulls a big gap on straights but not if their is plenty corners, on all the ClioSport meets ive been on ive yet to loose sight of a 172/182!!