ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clutch replacement

Ok so my clutch is knackerd and am gonna get a new one from k-tec.

Has anyone had a new clutch fitted to a MK1 recently? Am trying to find out roughly how much garages charge? I usually do things maself but ive herd horror stories about clutches and what a pain they are.

Cheers,
James

SLK 350
Find a local garage mate thats quiet, they'll be glad of the work and usually cost you less that way :)

Renault clio 1.4
on my mark 1 garages were charging over 250 for a clutch fitting. so i decided to do it myself. and i now no y they charged so much it is a pain. there is a H frame at the bottom of the engine bay which makes it very differcuilt to drop the gear box. and i mean very differcuilt. id advise you go to a proper garage and not a back street one because you want the job done properly.

Thanks for the replies, although they just confirmed what i had feared, cant afford £250 for a new clutch and I dont have the ability/space to do it myself :(

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
think yourself lucky, renault wanted about £500 for my 1.2 16v! although my mate done it for £240 inc the price for the clutch and its a better job than previous clutch replacements ive experianced

garf14 said:
on my mark 1 garages were charging over 250 for a clutch fitting. so i decided to do it myself. and i now no y they charged so much it is a pain. there is a H frame at the bottom of the engine bay which makes it very differcuilt to drop the gear box. and i mean very differcuilt. id advise you go to a proper garage and not a back street one because you want the job done properly.

So are you saying that it was so difficult that you would pay £200 ish quid to have a garage do it if you had to do it again?

Renault clio 1.4
1fast6 said:
So are you saying that it was so difficult that you would pay £200 ish quid to have a garage do it if you had to do it again?

well it depends on weather u can do it..i have changed alot of clutch mainly on fords which are very easy but ive found that clio's alot harder and time consuming and i needed help doin it by some friends. but it all depends if ur comptable to be able to do it and take ur time and be patient because if you mess it up uve wasted 50 quid on buying a clutch which could have gone towards getting a garage to do it and you may brake a few other parts (gearbox and other componets)