ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coil pack?

Clio 172 cup
My car (172 cup) has been down on power for the past few months and has now developed a misfire. After a bit of lead pulling (from the coil pack), the problem is definitely the 3rd cylinder - it makes no difference whether the lead is on of off.

Something I noticed though: the other 3 leads arced from the coil pack to the lead when they were removed; the 3rd didn't, at all. Surely this would indicate a fault with the coil pack, without the need to investigate the sparks and leads - right?

Furthermore, the 2nd cylinder sounds like it's on it way out too (it only makes a slight difference to the engine note when the lead is re-attached) and given that one coil runs cylinders 2 & 3, again, surely this would point to the coil pack?

Just thought I'd ask on here before I either a) attempt to take the plenum off; mess everything up; make things ten times worse;
or b) waste £65 on a new coil pack.

Evo 8 MR
From what you've said I would say it's a dodgy lead personally, can't be certain though.

Clio 172 cup
Update: it *was* the coil pack, if this helps anyone in a similar situation. £74 from Renault; easy to replace; car now runs like a dream.