ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coil pack

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Iv had the juddering and stalling under power @ 1.5 - 2 K RPM and thought this was down to an Lambda sensor that I changed at the weekend .

This has not fixed the problem ( the car runs better mind ) so im thinking it will most likely be a coil pack that is giving up the ghost .

Does this sound correct ?

Alan

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Probably, I'm hoping that's my issue as mine did this last night, the engine management light was flashing too.
I'll let you know later on, I'm picking one up on the way home.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Ok thanks let me know .

I do not have any light on at the mo

Probably, I'm hoping that's my issue as mine did this last night, the engine management light was flashing too.
I'll let you know later on, I'm picking one up on the way home.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Iv had the juddering and stalling under power @ 1.5 - 2 K RPM and thought this was down to an Lambda sensor that I changed at the weekend .

This has not fixed the problem ( the car runs better mind ) so im thinking it will most likely be a coil pack that is giving up the ghost .

Does this sound correct ?

Alan

I had exactly the same problem when i had my 172 , it would hesitate , judder up til around 2k ish rpm then would be fine above that . No engine management light either . Changed the spark plugs and it was fine after that . It could be your coilpack though , or leads or plugs , obviously they're all linked . That's just my experience of this problem . Ideally , if there's somebody nearby who has a spare coilpack or leads you could borrow then you could try them first without having to fork money out for something that's not the problem . Process of elimination .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Yeah coil pack is on order and have changed the plugs last month ( it was starting to do this then ) so im thinking that it is coil pack or leads .

Alan
I had exactly the same problem when i had my 172 , it would hesitate , judder up til around 2k ish rpm then would be fine above that . No engine management light either . Changed the spark plugs and it was fine after that . It could be your coilpack though , or leads or plugs , obviously they're all linked . That's just my experience of this problem . Ideally , if there's somebody nearby who has a spare coilpack or leads you could borrow then you could try them first without having to fork money out for something that's not the problem . Process of elimination .

53 Clio's & counting
i'd doubt it is coil pack as I can't see how it would misfire at low revs but not at higher revs as it is doing a constant job.

have you had fault codes read mate?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
No I thought it would be an easy fix :)

I have an RS tuner on the way but not sure if this will read ant error as it does not flash up any lights on the dash .

Alan
i'd doubt it is coil pack as I can't see how it would misfire at low revs but not at higher revs as it is doing a constant job.

have you had fault codes read mate?

53 Clio's & counting
Definately try it mate, when I had an RS tuner on my black one I had a knock sensor fault which didn't bring a light on - always worth checking :)

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Ok so the problem is still here .

An overview is the car will juder / jerk at low revs 1.5 -2 K on light throttle only and only when warm or driving for around 10 mins .

This does not happen after 2K rpm or if you put the peddle down its only at light throttle and at low revs . Also no warning lights are on the dash .

I have changed the O2 sensor and have just changed the coil pack but this has not fixed it .

Has anyone had this happen before and could point to a fix .

The car has had new plugs service and O2 , Coil pack .

I guess HT leads would be next .

Alan

Ph 1 172
I'm having same problem except mines happening at 2.5k-3k rpm after that everything is normal, I'm just in the process of changing the coil pack and ht leads.

Have you checked the injectors? Car running pull out a ht lead at a time see if engine not changes if it does that injector is working fine. If it stays exactly the same injector is fubar.

also from previous questions I've been asked by members on here. when was your Cambelt done and that as maybe timing is slightly out?

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Cant here any misfire and car drives good most of the time until after its warm and at 1.5/2K rpm and then just plays up then . Cam belt was changed @ 70K and 5 years ago and is booked in for next month .

I have an RS tuner coming in the next few days does this read fault codes as I have no lights that have come up on the dash ?

Alan
I'm having same problem except mines happening at 2.5k-3k rpm after that everything is normal, I'm just in the process of changing the coil pack and ht leads.

Have you checked the injectors? Car running pull out a ht lead at a time see if engine not changes if it does that injector is working fine. If it stays exactly the same injector is fubar.

also from previous questions I've been asked by members on here. when was your Cambelt done and that as maybe timing is slightly out?

Ph 1 172
Yeah rs tuner reads fault codes in trying to find a second hand one st moment to check fault codes on mine.

keep us updated if you manage to find out what it is

Cup In bits

That only points out that there is a fault on that cylinder, it could be piston rings, head gasket, spark plugs, ht leads, coil pack etc. doing that and then removing the plugs to check the condition/colour would be more of a definitive test. You could also remove the injector plugs one at a time too.

Cup In bits
I have just diagnosing or im pretty sure I have diagnosed a missfire on my cup tonight that It gained on track at the weekend.

My problem was a missfire under light load and a slightly uneven idle. I had no lights, stored error codes on the dash or on the ECU history.

I first checked ht lead connections at coil pack and then removing them one by one they all made a noticeable difference to the idle.

I then removed the fuel rail cover and disconnected the injectors electrical connection one by one- No4 cylinder made the least difference where as the other almost stalled the engine.

I went on to take of the inlet, check the ht leads were in right at the spark plugs which they were, removed the spark plugs and compared, they were all a nice greyish colour (link below for checking colours) I then compression tested the engine as I have the tool which was good (not a necessary step but good to know you have a healthy engine)

From that I can pretty conclusively say that no4 injector is not firing correctly, I will remove the rail tomorrow and crank the car with rail off to check for firing/spray pattern and most likely send my injectors away to be cleaned and tested.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

Fiesta ST Stage 3
I had a play with this last night but only did no 3 + 4 pulling off the injector .

I will try all of then and see if one makes less of a difference tonight .

Alan
I have just diagnosing or im pretty sure I have diagnosed a missfire on my cup tonight that It gained on track at the weekend.

My problem was a missfire under light load and a slightly uneven idle. I had no lights, stored error codes on the dash or on the ECU history.

I first checked ht lead connections at coil pack and then removing them one by one they all made a noticeable difference to the idle.

I then removed the fuel rail cover and disconnected the injectors electrical connection one by one- No4 cylinder made the least difference where as the other almost stalled the engine.

I went on to take of the inlet, check the ht leads were in right at the spark plugs which they were, removed the spark plugs and compared, they were all a nice greyish colour (link below for checking colours) I then compression tested the engine as I have the tool which was good (not a necessary step but good to know you have a healthy engine)

From that I can pretty conclusively say that no4 injector is not firing correctly, I will remove the rail tomorrow and crank the car with rail off to check for firing/spray pattern and most likely send my injectors away to be cleaned and tested.

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Have ordered some HT leads for £ 16.00 quid so will see if this helps .

Just waiting on my RS tuner so I can check any fault codes .

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Had the car on the RS Tuner and cleared some fault codes .

Took the car down the road and car was jumping @ 2000 rpm as normal .

re connected RS Tuner but no fault codes have come up ???

Alan

Cup In bits
Not always, you read my post earlier and quoted it, I had/have no faults stored on the dash or by using diagnostics.

stevem42

ClioSport Club Member
  Silver182 and RB 182
I'm in Worthing if u want to fetch car over and swap some bits over too try and locate I have spare injectors, coil pack leads, plugs etc or try parts off my 182 if u want

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Thanks mate

I have some HT leads to try at the weekend first but then I will look at injectors .

Alan

I'm in Worthing if u want to fetch car over and swap some bits over too try and locate I have spare injectors, coil pack leads, plugs etc or try parts off my 182 if u want

Cup In bits

How did you find out what the fault was in the end ?

Alan

​????

182 FF
Had this problem on my old cup we had nipped a ht lead putting the inlet manifold on, spotted it firing it up in the dark you could see it arcing! Good luck!

182 FF
Good stuff...in the process of buying another 172/182, having owned an extremely reliable but boring Toyota for two years I'm looking forward to experiencing small annoying faults once more lol

Fiesta ST Stage 3
You will have lots of fun then with this car :)

Good stuff...in the process of buying another 172/182, having owned an extremely reliable but boring Toyota for two years I'm looking forward to experiencing small annoying faults once more lol