ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilover upgrades,what are they really like?

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Hi folks,

Ive just read quite a few posts about suspension mods and am really fancying getting me some nice coilovers as seen on a previous thread..

KTR/FK COILOVER SUSPENSION KITS from K-tec.

Ive had a few pretty bad experience with lowered cars, ie bumpy ride/inside tyre wear and a pain in the ass to fit. I was hoping some of you guys could give me some indication to what/if any bad points there are in purchasing a set of these??..

Cheers
Chris

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
no bad points. Ride quality problems are overcome with a good damper setup and helper springs. Inside tyre wear is caused by incorrent camber settings, with the fk's you can have it adjusted (they have an elongated bolt hole to allow adjustment)

You can get separate camber bolts I think?

I'll be going williams set up when I can afford it rather than coilovers - not the greatest roads round here so would actually like to keep my fillings in my teeth... lol

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
fk's wont be harsh, much like H&R's, the soft helper springs make sure of that.

You can get camber bolts btw, but you dont need them with the coilovers.

182>FRS>VX220 now 350Z
Coilovers arent always hard...depends on the valving; i.e. go to a low end manufacturer and you will get poor quality internal components and incorrect valving specification therefore resulting in a harsh ride.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
John2Modified said:
a fair bit cheaper than KTec!

give us a call, we can answer any questions :)

And we are a Mail order company based in Surrey, www.2modified.com

LOL at the one upmanship! Awaits David to come on a b**ch slap you!

Coils are....hummm...hard, and kind of unnecessary for the road. If most the coilover boys inc myself are bein honest there more for looks than performance. Although u have both if you need it..

Eibac pro dampers and 30-40mm springs are more than sufficient for road comfort and track days...Been there, tested both, and i know which are beta! lol....

MK2 FRS/Mini Type R
Well I was thinking of changing the front struts cos when I corner quite hard I get a knocking from the suspension and thought I may as well upgrade to coilovers.... but knowing my clio there would still be a knocking from the suspension but id have a hard ride too.....

Incidently, has anyone had a similar prob with the suspension??..

If so can anyone offer me any advice??

Cheers
Chris

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
depends on usage, mine are firm but not harsh but can be adjusted, as for being necessary it depends on how you like your ride eh, im running KW's (v2), handling is very good.