ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers are the future.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as the title says! just had the geometry set up at progrip in central scotland (VERY Highly recomended) guys been doing lazer geometry for 15 years now, knows his stuff. first thing he told me was, if you want it to handle, thats too low! so raised it a bit then got it all set up and its spot on.

got my 16" turinis back on and the handling issues i had on my apex kit are gone, so it handles well on 16s now! loads of grip.

dont get me wrong i loved my apex kit and for the money it was brilliant but these FK SilverlineX coilovers are just a totally different league!

only cost £45 too for the geometry set up, took about an hour and a half.

tiTTy & SV650
cool, I take it you had fitted them already Martin and just got the guys to set them up at that price i.e. not including fitting?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
one of the local guys should know somewhere for you.

ive been 2 days playing with the damping adjustment now trying to get it perfect lol

rory: yeah i fitted them myself and got the guy just to set them up.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
To be honest martin. Coilovers take a Min of about 3hrs to set up!

But if your happy yiou can't complain.

Coilovers are overrated, other than looks, there crap, even once set up!

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150

I have coilovers, like many others on ClioSport. Simply saying there crap is a little vague:S Maybe you could eleborate to validate your statement?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
lol at ally, according to him my apex was crap and coilovers were the way forward, now my coilovers are crap? lol and a minimum of 3 hours to setup? seems fine to me after about 2 hours setting up, and thats from a guy with 15yrs experiance self employed and another 5yrs doing it for someone else. and as far as i remember ally got his done there when he had his monaco 172 and was very impressed..

were they worth the money over the apex? no.
are they better than the apex? YES!

ill make my final descision when i go back to my 15s on eagle f1s when my wheel spacers arrive.

right now its lowered about 60mm all round, will be going about 70 tho when the 15s are back on

contact details:
Progrip
telephone: 01324 810111
Unit 8, Canal Bank Est, Seabegs Rd, Bonnybridge. FK4 2BP

ST

I love the bear...:hail:

Tangoed Works
stnd is the future, coilovers are overated

thats what im thinking, i have cup packed 182 and have just come back from bashing the a39 on a weekend to ilfracombe. you can go as fast as you dare with the standard set up, the car perfectly composed and stable over all the dips, bumps, braking on adverse camber everything she just sticks!!

was thinking of getting some eibach pros, but everytime i hammer a good A or B road, i just think what is the point. the standard set up is amazing. will be getting upgraded brakes in the next couple of months and when the exhaust drops off a btb with remap and inlet match.

other than that renault sport have got it spot on!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the point in dropping it when you get the 15s, surely taht ruins the setup you've had and would need done again?

its all coming off for polly bushes anyway so will need setup again anyway in a month or 2. just had it done this time for now so it stoped eating tyres!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
stnd is the future, coilovers are overated

yeh...totally argree...I like the way mine looks...Semi low!

But for the road its a fcukin joke! It's not that stable and No coils for the clio seem to work that well!

I've driven, FK's, H&R's, Leda's, apex, KW...and to be honest on the road the Eibacs that alot of you's have are in many ways better.

Don't get me wrong on the track mines excellent. The coils are set up amazingly and the 4 pots work really well...But both are very overrated on the road!

although they look nice...where's the compromise....

Martin...you CANNOT...trust me on theis one, set up coils professionally in under 3hrs. Mines took about 4.5 and the guy turned round to me and said those FK's are utter shite! LOL! Ah well chin up!

The idea of coilovers is so that you can tailor the car for each application i.e track.

Doing the Tesco run requires a completely different setup to Donington Park.

Unfortunately my car spends more time at Tesco then it does in Derbyshire. Who wants to be playing with damper/spring rates constantly?

I still think most people buy them on here because they are cool and then wind them right down to the lowest setting.

I know a few hardcore guys like Chris172cup and SM_WRC have them but i know they are set up perfectly and used in the proper environments.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
The idea of coilovers is so that you can tailor the car for each application i.e track.

Doing the Tesco run requires a completely different setup to Donington Park.

Unfortunately my car spends more time at Tesco then it does in Derbyshire. Who wants to be playing with damper/spring rates constantly?

I still think most people buy them on here because they are cool and then wind them right down to the lowest setting.

I know a few hardcore guys like Chris172cup and SM_WRC have them but i know they are set up perfectly and used in the proper environments.

argree'd. I've wound mine right up...So not it's more useable...but the £xxx i paid to get them set up for knockhill has gone straight out the window!

the williams on std suspension handles better imo.