ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coilovers, ground clearance and heavy snow.

A slow blue one.
Hey everybody.

I'd been toying for some time between going for a set of coilovers or Sportlines and after a little thought had finally settled on coilovers, however then I started thinking about the impending winter.

Because of where I live these past few winters have been nasty, cutting me off from both getting to work (in Preston) or getting into town to get a train to work. I'm wondering how people who've fitted coilovers managed last year with such deep snow? My concern would be ground clearance as I really don't fancy having to raise and lower the suspension depending on the weather and my route to work involves a 2.5 mile drive down an unlit (and throughout the winter) often un-gritted road.

The only reason I want either is to try and sort out the massive arch gap, I'm not really a fan of 'epic lowz!!11one' so even if I did get coilovers I wouldn't be slamming it. Oh, and I don't have access to any other vehicle so that's out of the question.

Suggestions?

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
Had this problem last year mate with coilovers on, tried to get out my street to the gritted main road but just ground to a hault! if i was you i would just wait till after the winter!

A slow blue one.
It will work like a snow plough ;)

Well I wouldn't really fancy having to get out half way to shift the mountain of snow that my front end has collected and pushed down the road. I managed to beach a little KA, stock suspension so not lowered at all, the other year on a mound of snow on the road in question (that's how bad it gets) so wonder whether I'm asking for trouble dropping it too low.

Then again I could send the Council an email asking for a little fee in return for providing them with a service they obviously don't want to provide themselves if I did fit coilovers ;)

Last edited:
  A slow blue one.
Had this problem last year mate with coilovers on, tried to get out my street to the gritted main road but just ground to a hault! if i was you i would just wait till after the winter!

See that's the problem I thought I'd have. I really don't want to have to adjust the suspension every winter and the snow has been terrible for the past few years so it's not as though I've just been unfortunate, I think it's one of the downsides to living on the outskirts of town and having to drive through the sticks to get to work. Wondering whether I'd be safer fitting the sportlines if I did want to lower it; they'd mask the massive arch gap, give it a nicer stance but wouldn't affect the ground clearance so much that in winter I'd be stranded.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
You should defo get coilovers.... but just not right before winter! Its not much work to raise them up once a year and then put them back down again after the winter has passed and totally worth it!

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Surely you could lower it 20-30mm until March and see how you get on with it ! Would be stupid to raise/lower it every other day after checking the forecast. The handling should be better when it's not snowing anyway, as the springs/dampers should be firmer than OEM...

Best bet is (if possible a second set of wheels) to put some winter rubber on.

Unless it snows tomorrow, I'm intending on running my winter tyres from end of November-ish until end of Feb, but that's weather dependant. Given we're in the UK with it's comedy weather, if it's 30C in Jan, I'll be switching to the summer rubber sharpish !

A slow blue one.
Surely you could lower it 20-30mm until March and see how you get on with it ! Would be stupid to raise/lower it every other day after checking the forecast. The handling should be better when it's not snowing anyway, as the springs/dampers should be firmer than OEM...

Best bet is (if possible a second set of wheels) to put some winter rubber on.

Unless it snows tomorrow, I'm intending on running my winter tyres from end of November-ish until end of Feb, but that's weather dependant. Given we're in the UK with it's comedy weather, if it's 30C in Jan, I'll be switching to the summer rubber sharpish !

Actually I've just had a set of 172 wheel freshly refurbished with new rubber on and I've still got the steelies in storage, thinking of popping them to ATS and getting some winter rubber popping on them to give me a little added security.

You're probably right, I think I'm just trying to justify not paying all that money on them because money has been tight the last few months and it's another chunk of money which really could be better spent elsewhere. I'll be better set in the new year after Christmas is out the way so I'll possibly just wait until then before I get any :)

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
i fired through last winter with car this low, i just monstered it through the drifts ;-)

Photo0199.jpg

Photo0146.jpg

Vectra
this is a good thread, because sometime this month am getting my coilovers fitted and with me well being me haha a want to be the lowest! now friends that i know and what ive heard driving a car with coilovers fitted can be a nightmare if its your "first time" now last year when it snowed a was okay got suck a few times but who didnt, am worried this year having hopefully having the coilovers fitted and being lower! but its all experience init! :)

S23

The Cleee-O
Don't worry about ittttt. Plough through it literal! Aha

32693b54.jpg

TBH dude, it takes an hour to raise/lower the whole car so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep it a bit higher over the winter and then when the weathers good again slam it back down. I went through an alternator cause of the weather last year and the height I had it at. Keep it a bit higher then it will be fine as soon as the snow's gone and you won't have any problems. :)