ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Collecting my new car

I should, hopefully/finally, be collecting my new car this weekend! The trip is going to be about 500 miles in total but totally worth it! How much should I expect on petrol? All motorway miles...what mpg should I expect in a 172 cup?

Not sure what my first mod will be but have money burning a hole in my pocket so will undoubtably get something soon! Buying off a member here who has, very tastefully, modded it alteady! I am left with the possibility of Matched inlets? Don't want to spend stupid money (itb or cams are out of the question!) and also looking at a whiteline arb?! Opinions are divided so if any1 can speak out of experience would be useful!

I'm also wondering about xenons...I really rate having them so would like to retrofit the 172 xenons onto my cup? Is this easy/costly? Would like to have them self-levelling etc if possible! Is there an easier/cheaper option?

Cheers for your opinions guys n gals!

Last edited:
  Fiesta ST Stage 3
The best thing i did to my old 172 . Ties the back end down and gives more confidence

I should, hopefully/finally, be collecting my new car this weekend! The trip is going to be about 500 miles in total but totally worth it! How much should I expect on petrol? All motorway miles...what mpg should I expect in a 172 cup?

Not sure what my first mod will be but have money burning a hole in my pocket so will undoubtably get something soon! Buying off a member here who has, very tastefully, modded it alteady! I am left with the possibility of Matched inlets? Don't want to spend stupid money (itb or cams are out of the question!) and also looking at a whiteline arb?! Opinions are divided so if any1 can speak out of experience would be useful!

I'm also wondering about xenons...I really rate having them so would like to retrofit the 172 xenons onto my cup? Is this easy/costly? Would like to have them self-levelling etc if possible! Is there an easier/cheaper option?

Cheers for your opinions guys n gals!

Black Clio GT
dependant on the mods it has already i would go down the suspension/handeling route then brakes then breathing/engine!!!

Astra SRI/ Hornet
172cups are quite good on fuel. if ya cruising between 70-80mph youll get 45mpg. i found 182's a tad thirstier.

Westy. MX5
Its good you found your Cup, hope it's all as you expected. Retro fitting Xenons will be costly and as the MOT testers will be soon checking if they are fitted correctly, which means they have to be self levelling and have washers. I'll be having matched inlets and a live map done in the next few weeks, so theres one idea for you to ponder. Big power won't come cheap without a turbo or supercharger and the naturally aspirated engine will not give up much more power. What else? plenty of other ideas on the forum about suspension and brakes and will make the car drive better. I'm not into ICE or fancy gizmos so cannot give you any ideas on that front.

Already got recaro's, h&rs, brembos, remap! What's the best way to get xenons then? Aftermarket ones? Not much to do to it until it's perfect (IMO!)

Westy. MX5
Sounds like it is perfect, great! Ask Cliospares if they have any OE kits with the leveller and washers. Haven't fitted them myself so I'm no expert but I would imagine the aftermarket kits only include the light units and X'former, the leveller, wiring and washers would have to cobbled together. Ask on the Technical, Electrics forum you'll get more info there.

Will be happy if petrol ends up being less than £100! May have a slightly heavy foot, depending on which one of my friends drops me there! Will look at trying to source some original parts unless cost can't warrant it! Very tempted by a rear arb! Already got a front strut brace so tightening the rear up should be a good improvement? Cheers for the replies!

320d
On a motorway? Yeah arou d the doors I'd get 29mpg but I think there very good once on a motorway.

I used to get 44mpg at 70 mph and 40mpg at 80 mph. On a really long run between 70-80mph with the odd bust of acceleration etc I could still get about 44mpg.

Last edited:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Already got recaro's, h&rs, brembos, remap! What's the best way to get xenons then? Aftermarket ones? Not much to do to it until it's perfect (IMO!)
If it's the one I'm thinking of then what a great purchase :)