ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

colour coding.....again!

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
i know this is another colour coding thread but........

Basically i dont wanna get ripped off by a bodyshop as they quoted me something stupid but the thing is, i dont want help how to do it cus ive seen plenty of guides now but.... the colour of my car is platinum silver and to be honest whenever i have seen this coloured car colour coded it doesnt look right. its such a pearlescent colour, maybe thats why. Even when people have had this car colour coded at a bodyshop it still doesnt look right. Thats why im apprehensive of doing it myself, also anyone got any tips on colour coding door handles, do i need to take em off?? here is my thinkin as to why doesnt look right.

cheap paint?
too hazed or too matt laquer?

anyway, tell me waht u think.... the colour code is MV632, do a search for that colour code if u wanna see what i mean about the dodgy pain jobs.

Chelsea tractor
Same colour as mine! Didn't know it was called platinum silver? The guy at the Renault garage told be it was "Boreal Metal Grey".

I think it just looks funny on some cars because of the angle that you look at it from? Like sometimes it's bluey silver and sometimes it's yellowy silver. And when it's dirty it looks ming lol

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
ye i know what you mean, ive heard it called platinum silver and gris boreal, but wahtever its the same colour, anyway... ye it does look different in diff conditions but im talin abut, u can see clearly where the colour coding has been donw, i.e. the whole car looks normal and then the side strips or front bumper look different. do u know what i mean? do a search for the colour code in the post above, there are some pics on the threads that come up, u will see waht i mean.....

Chelsea tractor
To be honest though, i'd imagine it would be a pain in the ass to get the perfect mix to match it up! Parked next to a Scenic of the same colour today, but it wasn't exactly the same colour (if you get me).

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
I know what ur sayin but ur missin what im sayin....where some cars this colour have been colour coded u see the bumper stands out, look at this picture,

Picture036.jpg

The rear bumper especially stands out, not because it is colour coded but because the colour doesnt match well, the side strips and handles loof ine tho....can u see what i mean......shall i just do it anyway??

Chocolate Bar™
is that giles' old car. if so that looked great in real life. just get it sprayed at a proper place and you shouldnt have any problems.

Chelsea tractor
It's just the angle that you look at it! A photo of pearlescent paint will rarely look like it does in person

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
is that giles' old car. if so that looked great in real life. just get it sprayed at a proper place and you shouldnt have any problems.

ye its just a pic i found to show what i meant about the bumper, not mine.

I was gonna colour code it myself, well at least the side strips, any1 know how to remove the door handles, do they need to be removed to be olour coded?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
I'm thinking of painting my bump strips in the summer, i'm pretty sure my clio's the same colour as in the pic above, when the cars wet & in diffrent shades of light it looks like it has a hint of blue.. any one know what colour halfords have got it down as?

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
Errr dude? Isnt the idea of a pear that the color is dependant on angle?
agreed, if ur talkin about the post above urs....but what im talkin about is the blatent colour mismatch on the bumper in the picture! Does anyone agree that in the picture above the front bumper stands out!!?!?

How can i stop this from happeneing to mine cus i have seen so many look turn out like that!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
yea i know, just explanning what colour i've got as it appears theres a few diffrent silvers for the clio in the halfords paint code book :S .. just wanted to know what my one is b4 i buy loads of tins of the wrong silver... now that would look outta place, the monkey at halfords say'd he wasn't sure but for £6 we can have a go & c if it matches.. yea right like i'm gonna pay £6 a "go" to try match it

so if any one knows i'd be v greatful ;)

Chelsea tractor
Get it mixed at a local spray shop - they should colour match it and it'll be less that a tenner a can. Failing that ask Renault, but they charge a bit more. Think it was about £15 a can when i had to respray my mirror cover. Perfect match though :)

2001 Clio 1.2 Dynamique
yea i know, just explanning what colour i've got as it appears theres a few diffrent silvers for the clio in the halfords paint code book :S .. just wanted to know what my one is b4 i buy loads of tins of the wrong silver... now that would look outta place, the monkey at halfords say'd he wasn't sure but for £6 we can have a go & c if it matches.. yea right like i'm gonna pay £6 a "go" to try match it

im pretty sure urs is same as mine, frog name: gris boreal, some eople call it platinum silver for english but i know the code is MV632

koi

Audi S1

im pretty sure urs is same as mine, frog name: gris boreal, some eople call it platinum silver for english but i know the code is MV632

Got a rattle can made up at Halfords, says gris boreal on the sticky they put on. Never used it in the end though as it looked too blue on a test patch I done.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Thanks guys, might pick some up today as i'm on holiday in a week so i can spray it & giv it a week to cure b4 going back on the motor, i've done spraying with rattle cans b4 & been impressed with the results on parts i've done on my motorbikes so hopefully it will giv the car a real clean look, how would u lot rate halfords primer/paint/lacquer?