ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour Coding Bump Strips. Eh?

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
So I want to colour code my bump strips.
Looking over the forum I've seen a few people suggesting to get Grey primer from Halfords.
But as for the actual paint colour, Im a little confused. Will just any Metallic Black paint do?
I've got a 676 black dynamique

Thanks for your time.

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
Thanks alot man, one last thing though. What grit sandpaper am I going to be needing?

You can probably tell Im a little bit of an amateur.

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
Haha I just found it, all the pics are dead on it too. The words are good enough I suppose. Thanks again, Ill probably post some progress later

1.2 y0!
I was told under no circumstances to sand them but to use a high build primer as they just bubble up if you try to sand them down?

If you dont sand it whats the primer going to key too. High Build primer would be better than standard primer but you'd still need to sand the item so the primer can key.

But you'd still need to sand it so the plastic primer will key to the plastic. Plastic primer is for plastic's as it is slightly flexible, It doesn't mean that it requires no sanding.

1.2 y0!
Nah, he's quite well known for his spraywork though lol, im gonna go with what he said when i do mine lol

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
Okay Im going to sound a little more stupid now, but I actually can't get the bump strips off, can anyone be a little more specific than the guide? (As the pictures are no longer there)

Which bit can't you get off?

The front moulding:
Open door
Insider the door there is a black plug, pop that off
look down in that hole and there is a plastic bit that presses in to release the trim
get a flat head screw driver, press that in and pull the moulding towards you (towards the rear of the car)
That should come off, the only bit that stops it sliding back is that plastic bit.

The rears just slide forwards (towards the front of the car)

clio mk1 RSI
simon is wrong you will have to rough up the plastic using a scotch pad first for the primer to stick proprerly, I did mine on my old car which was pearlescent black got all the stuff from halford. I would recommend you flat sand the colour than add your clear coat as you get a better finish.
high bulid primer is not nedded but will give a smoother finish but you will have to flat sand the primer between coatings.
also shake the black for about 10 mins as its pearl and spray in 3 thins coats with 15 mins between coats this will give the best finish.

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
So I couldnt get them off, thanks for the help though!

I still did it, just uhh, a little more timeconsuming, but easier for me none the less :p

Untitled-1-3.jpg
Ignore the tiny bit of masking tape i've yet to take off

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
whats next?
Oooh, well, I'll probably have to throw up a progress thread.
Then get the piss taken out of me for my Ktec grill (Which is soon to be changed)
Not to mention a few little things I want done, smoked rear lights, Rs Grille,the badge colour.

But aside from that, I would like to turn it into a 172. So I'll have to get the front wings and front bumper next. Slowly transform it.....When I clamber the money together.

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
sounds like a plan mate, how long did the spraying take you ?

The spraying alone? Between 1 to 2 hours?

After two coats of primer I rubbed it down with 1200 wet/dry and then 3 (I think) coats of Pearl Black and 2 coats of clear lacquer, The times inbetween each spray all varied on how quickly they'd dried, So I cant really say a spot on time frame.

MK3 GTI golf 16v
ah thats not bad then, wanted to do mine and some people on here take like 2 odd days, couldnt be dealing with that lol. couple hours would be good

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
ah thats not bad then, wanted to do mine and some people on here take like 2 odd days, couldnt be dealing with that lol. couple hours would be good

Yeah it was alright, The only thing that was majorly time consuming was the fact it took me about 2 hours to mask up both sides of the car, I had to work around the door so that I could open it and spray the bits on the side.
But you'll completely avoid that trouble if you just take them off haha

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I can't believe you did it all whilst still on the car, let alone in a couple of hours.

Can you really say you've prep'd them properly that way? Something that size I'd expect to spend 1hour + just sanding it down before priming. I'm in the process of spraying my exhaust trims and spent longer than that already.

If something's worth doing, it worth doing properly. Don't take short cuts as it'll always show. I can't believe the the finish is as good as it could be?

Sorry to be so negative but I could never settle with that on my car.

Punto/Clio GTT
if you aint prepped the plastic before primering itll just flake off. dont go anywhere near it with a pressure washer.

looks really dull and rough, needs more laquer, or a damn good wetsand and polish them up, depends how much laquers on there

1.2 Dynam & 182FFCup
I can't believe you did it all whilst still on the car, let alone in a couple of hours.

Can you really say you've prep'd them properly that way? Something that size I'd expect to spend 1hour + just sanding it down before priming. I'm in the process of spraying my exhaust trims and spent longer than that already.

If something's worth doing, it worth doing properly. Don't take short cuts as it'll always show. I can't believe the the finish is as good as it could be?

Sorry to be so negative but I could never settle with that on my car.

Fair enough but it matches the car fine and is pretty darn smooth, Im happy with it considering my experience, or lack of.

Surely if you're going to spend an hour on sanding the thing down you're gonna end up malforming the strip.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
not at all, start off with a half aggressive paper to take the dimpled effect off, then step down the paper to something smoother to create the finish. Not aiming to take it back past the outer finish. the finish is just a reflection of the initial product.

I did this to my exhaust trims and in all honesty, wish I'd spent longer ensuring a perfect finish before I started spraying as it took several coats of primer, sanding back and applying more before I used colour.

Mk3 clio 1.5
i would never trust any paints or primer from halfords, the quality is jsut poor, and the paint is a generic colour for that car. best thing to do is get the paint matched. but looks like you did a good job anyway

Golf GT & A4 Avant
halfords paints / primers / lacquers are ok if doing minor / small parts like badges etc, I used them in the wheel I did and came out fine. I wouldn't use them on a full panel or something I wanted to colour match though.