ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Colour Coding...

Has anyone atempted to colour code their bumpers or side mouldings with aerosol spray paint of the Halfords variety? Any advice wanted as Im considering doing it this weekend.

ive just bought the halfords monaco blue paint, im going to give it a go on my door handles at the weekend if i dare. will let u know how it goes.

alright there mate, i colour coded the door trim and the wing mirrors. Easy to do and looks really good. The only problem is that some prat decided to open there door on to mine so chipping a nice chunk of paint off the side trim. Had to rub it all down and start again. Otherwise, go for it. Halfords is the best place for the primer, laquer and paint.

pete

Do you need any special plastic primer for adhesion or will the normal grey stuff do the trick? Did you degrease and stuff first?

my trim was in pretty good nik, i recommend cleaning it before using plastic primer. I got my primer from halfords, plastic primer would hold the paint better and give it a better finish (like mine), normal crappy cheap primer would be OK but the finish wouldnt be as good and the paint finish wouldnt be as solid. i didnt degrease - mates recommendations-, dont rub the trim down either cos youll have a scratched surface and you cant really use filla to buff it all up. Hope that is OK

cheers

pete

i did my entire front bumper in halfords stuff, and was well impressed, top quality and easy to use, just take your time, and do it well......i rubbed mine down with fine grade wet&dry, it wont leave scratches that need filling!??

Lionel Richie

I used deep fill yellow primer (two to three coats then sanded) on my side bump strips then grey primer and then Pearl black and then two coats of clear lac. Came out mint looks like factory!!! All of the 172 owners think my car is a 172!!!!!!

yeah, i used that to fill in a tiny little recess nect to my light, did the job, and if you take your time working slowly, it looks just as good as a professional job.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Do the other Clios have the little silver badge on the edge of the door trim?

Both the Halfords stores in my area ore out of monaco blue. Ive brought the grey plastic primer and some wetndry though, so at least I can prep them.

Ill start on the side mouldings and see how it goes.

I made a start on the side mouldings this morning. I opted for the halfords filler primer (yellow) in the end.

Keyed the plastics first with a sanding block. I applied three coats of yellow filler primer with 15 mins between each coat. Let it dry for a few hours. wet sanded it with 600 grit to get it smooth, no more pimples. Im waiting until tomorrow before I proceed further so it has a chance to dry thoroughly.

Ill update with more then.

Okay, Ive finished one side of the car (ran out of Monaco blue). The colour and finish is spot on. In total its cost me £36 for all the spray and some wetndry paper. Not bad for a weekends work.

Materials used:
2 x plastic filler primer (yellow stuff)
1 x plastic primer (grey stuff)
4 x monaco blue pearlescent
2 x clear laquer
1 x 800 grit wetndry

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Bluerxe, have u done both sides yet? Is the result REALLY good? I went to a local body garage and they said they could do it for me, but because the surface was textured it wouldnt be very good, but i didnt believe him! Do you have any pics? Thanks

Gengar

They look real sweet! The trick is to key the surface slightly and then build up 3-4 layers of plastic filler primer (the yellow stuff from Halfords). Once this is done use some wetndry 800 grit to smooth it. If you get one of the coats wrong it could all look sh*te so TAKE YOUR TIME and youll have no problem.

Ill try and take some photos soon.

Im going to leave it a few weeks to see if any problem crop up due to temperature fluctuations etc then Ill do my front and rear bumpers.

I would have a go at this but my paint sprayng technique is absolute crap. I can never get an even coat.

I might just pay to have them colour coded as Ive been quoted £40 by a local bodyshop.

Cupra K1 & Clio 200

Looks phat Blue, nice job mate...shame i aint got the skill or the patience, looks like im going body shop too!

Gengar
PS thanks for the photo