ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

colour coding

renault clio mk2 16v
i have a black mk2 ph2 clio and i cant stand the plastic bumper strips and i was wondering if anyone knows if its easy enough to do yourself and how to do it? as it cost's too much to get it done professionally. thanks

There's loads of step by step guides on here. Except you have to be a full member to see them!

But basically it goes:
- Sand Plastic down
- Plastic primer
- Sanding again
- Base coat
- Lacquer

With various stages of sanding inbetween as necessary.
You'll need various grade sand paper, plus few cans of primer/basecoat/lacquer.

Sand down all texture (wet and dry, 240 grit) takes days and pain lol
Work up; 400,800,1200,1500
Primer light coats 2-3
Wait a day
Lightly wet and dry 1200 over it, make sure dry
Paint colour 2-3 times
Wait a day
Lacquer
Polish and wax for a better finish if you want.
Thats how i done it and it is fine :)

renault clio mk2 16v
Primer light coats 2-3
Wait a day
Paint colour 2-3 times
Wait a day
Lacquer
cheers bud! gonna do it in the summer!
did you just drive round with out the strips? lol

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
Primer light coats 2-3
Wait a day
Paint colour 2-3 times
Wait a day
Lacquer

f**k that would take forever.

1)remove strips
2)p400 dry
3)3-4 coats high build primer ( half hour between each coat)
4)dust coat of black paint over the primer
5)now wet flat with p600 untill all the black aerosol has gone ( will mean primer is smooth)
6) base coat
6.1) light dust coat (15 mins, or untill dry)
6.2) 2x medium coats (15 mins, or untill dry)
6.3)1x decent finishing coat ( not to thick you dont want runs

-if the paint have good coverage and its patchy or streaky leave to dry for 30 mins )

7) lacquer ( use a good brand upol etc)
7.1) dust coat
7.2) 2-3 medium coats but not to thick ( 15 mins or untill tacky between coats)
7.3) finishing coat nice and thick without runs

then leave to dry for a day or so and fit..

renault clio mk2 16v
f**k that would take forever.

1)remove strips
2)p400 dry
3)3-4 coats high build primer ( half hour between each coat)
4)dust coat of black paint over the primer
5)now wet flat with p600 untill all the black aerosol has gone ( will mean primer is smooth)
6) base coat
6.1) light dust coat (15 mins, or untill dry)
6.2) 2x medium coats (15 mins, or untill dry)
6.3)1x decent finishing coat ( not to thick you dont want runs

-if the paint have good coverage and its patchy or streaky leave to dry for 30 mins )

7) lacquer ( use a good brand upol etc)
7.1) dust coat
7.2) 2-3 medium coats but not to thick ( 15 mins or untill tacky between coats)
7.3) finishing coat nice and thick without runs

then leave to dry for a day or so and fit..

seems as if it could be done in a day haha cheers mate

07 Campus Sport 1.2
theres a member on here who does a post and return service for small parts spraying. He's pretty reasonable on price, will see if i can find his thread for you

soon to be 182 ;)
gonna take you a week or so to do it properly, if i laqure at the end i leave it for a week+ before wet flatting (3000 grit) and polish up and wax the week leaving it is so all the gasses escape and it fully hardens i tried doing bits in a day but youve got no chancce to do it properly

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
if its solvent based drying times should be fairly low unless your putting way to much on.. lacquer will take slightly longer but can easily be done in a day

soon to be 182 ;)
if its solvent based drying times should be fairly low unless your putting way to much on.. lacquer will take slightly longer but can easily be done in a day

lacqure wont be fully cured in a day and if you are flatting and polishing it up so it doent have orange peel effect then go ahead and do it in a day will look s**t tho

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
who mentioned flatting and polishing ? and it can be done in a day prepped, painted,lacquered, flatted and polished.

in a day using standard but decent aerosols it can be lacquered and left to cure or bake depending on what you have available

soon to be 182 ;)
who mentioned flatting and polishing ? and it can be done in a day prepped, painted,lacquered, flatted and polished.

in a day using standard but decent aerosols it can be lacquered and left to cure or bake depending on what you have available

to do it properly so it doesnt look like orange peel, and how can it cure in a day if you can tell me how i will more than happily give it a go as sounds good if you can

a low one
hes right you will leave thumb prints or smears in it when you try and put it on the car. small parts i just put in the over and bake it in there, come out with a hardened laquer and looks as good as leaving it a few days as i did with bullets.

could always put a hair dryer or heat gun over it i suppose to speed up the process if you have to have them done in a day...

thats what i am like, just get bored waiting my badges have been off mine for 2 weeks did them the first day fucked up and gave up for now lol

Badges are ok if they mess up because you can get the paint off easily. Bullets & engine covers takes ages to get it bare again

a low one
do it at another time to when mothes cooking a roast lol. what my mum doesnt see she cant comment on! and just under 50 degrees c i did mine on. work a treat tbh

a low one
yeah i wouldnt do 200 aha, however im sure something up to 75 would be fine, just experiment! 50c is what i use though and ive had good results... with very limited time to it too

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
agreed at least someone else talks sense youve changes your badges from blue now havent you?

sorry mate didnt realise you were a painter aswell.. iv been doing this for about 4 years now trained by a merc + bentley approved garage.
and you can use standard 2k lacquer with rocket added and flat that within a few hours.. although the rocket makes the laquer or paint slighlty dull compared to usual.
or there are a few ranges or fast lacqer which smart repair men mainly use.. were they repair paint and polish within a few hours.

Stuiemc

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi RS3, Clio 172
sorry mate didnt realise you were a painter aswell.. iv been doing this for about 4 years now trained by a merc + bentley approved garage.
and you can use standard 2k lacquer with rocket added and flat that within a few hours.. although the rocket makes the laquer or paint slighlty dull compared to usual.
or there are a few ranges or fast lacqer which smart repair men mainly use.. were they repair paint and polish within a few hours.

why didnt you post this in your first post? everyone else was going off him using standard lacquer which cant/shouldnt be flatned in a day.

Trophy Turbo :)

Why use Rocket? Thats what Extra fast hardener is for, the Rocket was designed to use in Ovens before extra fast Hardener was available, Its horrible stuff that kills the finish as you stated. Id never use any thing less than C85 Laqure Balls to rocket :)

And these wont take a day to do, id say 4/5 hours and time to dry.