ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Coming from a Focus ST........

Right well just a quick update.

Went to look at the car today, and was utterly let down.

First off the 182 didnt even have the cup pack, secondly it didnt have its cambelt done and was overdue by almost six months and to add to that it didnt have any tax. Then after all this, the guy at Honda moaned about the cost of getting the cambelt done and only wanted to tax it for six months, he then proceeded to only offer me 3k on top of the Clio and said I was getting a "good deal". I walked away without even shaking his hand.

Shame really because I had a quick drive of it and really enjoyed it. Felt good to have some confidence back whilst going through the bends and the inside isnt *that* bad at all.

The search continues!

Stagecoach Ticket
182's last time i looked were very cheap privatly. I would be looking at selling the focus and finding a cheap slightly high milage well looked after 182 tbh

If you can put up with the rawness and lower build quality of an older ph1 172 the a standard mint example can be had for £2000-£2400 IMO its a better drive than the ph2
I get 40mpg combined if i try easy to look after, not massivly botherd about chucking camping gear/bikes/snowboards etc in it or parking it anywere due to how much i payed for my one.

Stripped yozza'd cup
In a straight line, obviously the st would have me, but on a b road, my Clio was quicker.
I think it's actual pace is more important than it's straight line speed. Any monkey can drive quick in a straight line.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
not to get into an argument mate but thats a load of s**te....and i didnt say to go out and start racing st's the ph1 has half a second 0-60 times on a ph2 fact! me and a lad off here had a go against eachother and he admitted mine completley standard and his with a sports centre section i was pulling away from him with ease so....
ok..

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
If you can put up with the rawness and lower build quality of an older ph1 172.

Are you serious? They're not raw at all, just the same as a ph2 but with an undesirable dash board. I honestly think some people on here haven't experienced something basic but ballistic, I wouldnt even call a cup raw, the last I drove had more body roll than a fat american.

In my honest opinion, buy a clio trophy, you won't be disappointed at all. Yes there is a bit more of a premium over the others but it is well worth it. I'm not saying this because I own one, simply comparing it to every other clio 1*2 I've driven including my ph1 172.

The bonus of having the trophy is pretty much every single one is owned by an enthusiast and you won't have to spend money on better seats, turini's and a user friendly suspension set up which is the best I've came accross on a factory hatch back

Mazda 3 MPS Mk1
Yeah, was hard work lol

after that trackday I'm already looking for something a little more upmarket!!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Yeah, was hard work lol

after that trackday I'm already looking for something a little more upmarket!!

I was looking to try and get something adjustable but lower than the trophy's 4x4 stance, seems kw/bilstein only make stuff for 172/182 without cup packs. I also wanted to try and get a setup as good as the sachs on the road but also good on track...seems to be impossible without investing some serious wedge in suspension

Evo 5 RS
I eat ST's for brekky hrhrhr.

On a serious note they're pretty rapid once mapped. I've only had the pleasure of taking the 5 door round track and tbh with you it felt like driving a boat. Can't beat the noise though. If you'll notice anything it'll be the gearbox (being not as good that is) and it being more planted

Italian 3.2 V6
another 'cool' thread.

Youll love a cliosport mate. only thing you will miss is the torque! If u can, try get a dcent looked after 182, off here infact would be perfect. ....Or even stretch to a 182 trophy, you shouldnt loose much money when coming to sell the trophy, well not as much as a reg 182 plus its abit more special and sort after.

Good luck with the search!

another 'cool' thread.

Youll love a cliosport mate. only thing you will miss is the torque! If u can, try get a dcent looked after 182, off here infact would be perfect. ....Or even stretch to a 182 trophy, you shouldnt loose much money when coming to sell the trophy, well not as much as a reg 182 plus its abit more special and sort after.

Good luck with the search!

Thanks pal.

I wont really miss the torque that much, I had a Fiesta Mountune 185 and I used to rev the balls off that, so I can deal with not having the torque.

Will be keeping an eye out on here too for anybody selling up round my area.

Italian 3.2 V6
Thanks pal.

I wont really miss the torque that much, I had a Fiesta Mountune 185 and I used to rev the balls off that, so I can deal with not having the torque.

Will be keeping an eye out on here too for anybody selling up round my area.

Well I think ul love the Clio then, it's a riot to drive when driving hard. Put a wanted thread up, I did and that's how I ended up with my 182 :)

It's up above but I'm fairly sure I misread it anyway. I got caught out my the suggestion that the Clio is more planted. I thought he meant the Focus, as planted isn't a word I'd use to describe my 182, but then I've not driven the ST so can't compare.

So basically I think he was saying that the Clio gearbox isn't as good as the Volvo item, which is of no surprise, as the Clio gearbox/shift/lever position is rubbish.

My cup is a decent amount quicker than an st. Even the mountune one that my neighbour owns.

Lie !

A Focus St with Mountune 260 kit will fcukin rape a clio. End !

Either you or your neighbour is a wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
FLOL, I can think of worse reasons as to why someone might be classed as a wrong....:S Fibber maybe!

Where in that post did I say anything about it being in straight line? Why don't you read things before you jump on the argument bandwagon? I'm fully aware that the focus would beat my Clio in a straight line... Down the b-roads near my house, my Clio is quicker.
Jesus Christ. Read things before you comment.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I did once gain 2-3 car lengths on an focus st, pretty sure it was standard. I had a passenger and the focus driver was alone.

Mods on ph1 172 was de-cat only with standard exhaust and itg panel filter. Great cars though and sound insane.....

Ph 1 172
I followed a st the other day in my phase 1 and it absolutely raped me in a straight line, with coilovers though I was quicker round the twistys, 2 totally different cars to be honed but you would have plenty of fun in both

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Where in that post did I say anything about it being in straight line? Why don't you read things before you jump on the argument bandwagon? I'm fully aware that the focus would beat my Clio in a straight line... Down the b-roads near my house, my Clio is quicker.
Jesus Christ. Read things before you comment.

I read it just fine thanks... Think you need to remember what you put before it was edited before you question my reading abilities:rolleyes:.

NOTHING is quicker on a b-raod than a 172Cup. We all know that everyone is always racing and always giving it 100% vmax at all times. Clio 172Cup decimates all.

Civic Type R
NOTHING is quicker on a b-raod than a 172Cup. We all know that everyone is always racing and always giving it 100% vmax at all times. Clio 172Cup decimates all.

LOL - Reminds me of when I was 17/ 18 and my Nova GSI was THE fastest car on the planet..

The 182 is a pretty capable car, but there are loads of faster cars out there. Where the renaultsport clio's shine is the handling / Fun factor, they really are fun to drive!!

Unless your going to do lots of track days, you wont see much benefit of the Trophy. They do feel more special while driving around, and those recaro's are AMAZING!! I have had the benefit of driving a ST 185 ( was originally considering one), to me it felt quite dull in comparison to the clio.

Good luck finding one, I'm sure you'll love it..

Sorry realnumber 1, you appear to have taken the grief for my comment :eek:

However i stand by the FACT a Focus St with a mountune 260 will kill a 1*2, on twistys or straights.

Stripped yozza'd cup
Sorry realnumber 1, you appear to have taken the grief for my comment :eek:

However i stand by the FACT a Focus St with a mountune 260 will kill a 1*2, on twistys or straights.

I'm pretty sure the mountune pack does nothing to the handling of the car? Just engine stuff? I doubt there's many that would disagree that a cup will keep up with a standard st down the twisty's?

Either way, it's almost entirely down to the driver anyway. I didn't aim to piss anyone off with what I said. I was just trying to help the guy with his decision. Wasn't expecting to have comments thrown at me which required censoring.

Your 100% correct, the mountune pack is just engine mods. Engine mods that turn a vehicle that will stay with/have the edge over a 1*2 into a vehicle that will smash a 1*2

My reaction was over the top, that i admit and i should apologise. But some people on here are convinced that a 1*2 is the fastest car to have ever hit british roads, and the storys of "my 1*2 is faster than everything" really grate me somedays.

My cup is a decent amount quicker than an st. Even the mountune one that my neighbour owns.

I'm pretty sure the mountune pack does nothing to the handling of the car? Just engine stuff? I doubt there's many that would disagree that a cup will keep up with a standard st down the twisty's?

Either way, it's almost entirely down to the driver anyway. I didn't aim to piss anyone off with what I said. I was just trying to help the guy with his decision. Wasn't expecting to have comments thrown at me which required censoring.

Just to clarify that i only disagree with a 1*2 keeping with the Mountune kitted St

Albeit one with the early maps that were producing in the region of 280-285hp. Map updates by Ford later got the cars up to proven 300hp. Even so, I'd imagine there wouldn't be much in it anyway.