ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Complete begginer - Nikon D40?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I've fancied getting myself a half decent camera for quite a while now, but after talking to my boss today who's big into his cameras I think I'm persuaded....

I'd use it for hopefully a bit of motorsport, general pictures etc, just as an upgrade to my point and shoot thingy.

Been looking at this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000KIX65S/?tag=cliospnet01-21

What do people think? My boss said a D40X is a good starter? What are the differences between that and this?
What else would I need along side this?

I'm not a pro, and not trying to be, just interested as a bit of a hobby really.

Any helpful links, info and input would be greatly appreciated.

D40X was discontinued a while ago.

Have a search matey. Theres loads. I mean loads of "What DSLR?" threads in the last month or so.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Will do mate.
Sorry I never normally come in this forum so not sure what's about! I'll do some sifting.

I think the only (or main) difference is the D40x has the auto focus motor built in where as the D40 relies on the lens motors.
So D40X has a wider choice of lenses than the D40.
Please someone correct me if im wrong.

I think the only (or main) difference is the D40x has the auto focus motor built in where as the D40 relies on the lens motors.
So D40X has a wider choice of lenses than the D40.
Please someone correct me if im wrong.

Im afraid you are wrong.

D40/D40x/D60 dont have an AF motor in the body so you'll need to buy lenses with AF. Not a massive deal just something to remember..

FF RB 182
Gaz has a D40, says it's a brilliant camera for a beginner, and they are now selling for around £225 with kit lens.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Hmmmm, got a hard choice to make.....long weekend in Amsterdam, or a DSLR.......I think the camera can wait a bit longer!

Im afraid you are wrong.

D40/D40x/D60 dont have an AF motor in the body so you'll need to buy lenses with AF. Not a massive deal just something to remember..

Correct Revels - glad to see your not thinking that this conversation is about Canon ;)

No motor = no problem IMO! Plenty of lenses out there that will work!

As for the D40 - go forth and purchase, dont think you will find a new SLR with 2 year warranty any cheaper!