ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Completely disable internet usage during holiday?

Mk2 MX5 1.8iS - Side
As above really, I have a 3GS, running ios4.0, and I'm driving to the south of Spain tomorrow. Apart from turning the phone off, is there anyway to completely disable internet access? I don't fancy a horrendously expensive bill :eek:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Yeah, Just turn Roaming and 3G off.

Settings > General > Network

That doesn't do it. Turning 3G off will only disable 3G, it'll still be able to use GPRS data.

Disabling roaming should do it, but there's a long standing bug that means that it may end up using cellular data anyway.

The setting you want is Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data, turn that option off. This is a new feature in iOS4.

Clio 182 cup'd
I turned roaming off and still managed to receive two emails while abroad.

Turning the lot off in sb settings seemed to do the trick.

A silver one
I've just back from a long weekend in France. The setting you want to switch off is 'mobile data'.

General > Network > Mobile Data > Off

This stops the phone from sending and receiving anything. I had wifi set to on when I was in the hotel, but switched it off when I left in case I connected to somebodies network and got charged.

I'm not sure who you are with, but o2 advised me to turn my voicemail off before I left (you dial 1760) and then switch it back on (dial 1750 - I did that today) when you get back. They told me that some customers had received voicemail whilst outside the UK and had been charged £19 per mail!

You can't get charged for connecting to an open wifi network so that's a non-issue.

As above, turn off data roaming. Works for me. You still need cellular data switched on if you want to send MMS.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Another option is to modify your APN setting for cellular data.
In IOS 4 (not sure about earlier versions) there are APN settings for cellular data, visual voicemail and MMS. You can temporarily change the settings of any of these to disable that particular feature, so you could prevent 3G / GPRS but still have the ability to send MMS' and use visual voicemail.
On O2, the APN's are all idata.o2.co.uk with the username "vertigo" and the password "password". Changing the APN, the username or the password while on holiday should prevent it from being able to connect.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
You can't get charged for connecting to an open wifi network so that's a non-issue.

As above, turn off data roaming. Works for me. You still need cellular data switched on if you want to send MMS.

As mentioned above, switching off data roaming doesn't work, the phone will still leak data, it is believed it is to do with visual voicemail. The only way to be sure is to disable cellular data.