ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Completly out of ideas and complety fed up now :(

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Right, I have this strange knocking/grinding noise on my mk2 1.4. Its really pissing me off now because in the last month Ive replaced the track rod ends, strut top mounts and the lower balljoint on the nearside as the rubber had split. In the past year (20000 miles) its had a new ns driveshaft with new gaitors, new os anti roll bar bush and 2 new wishbones. The only things not replaced are the ns arb bush and the os balljoint and wheel bearings. All of these appear to be fine.

The noise happens when turning especially over a bump, stopping and starting.

If the front wheels are in the air you can wiggle the wheel side to side holding it at 3 and 9 o'clock but not up and down at 12 and 6 o'clock. The strange thing is every time I jack it up and do some work the noise goes away when I first drive it after for probably 10 miles and gradually comes back getting really bad again within the week. :S

I really am out of ideas and money.
Please help me!!
John

EX-172 driver :(
This might sound real stupid to the more knowledgeable of you guys, but could this be anything to do with the engine mountings? when pulling away or stopping certain turning moments are applied to the engine which if it were not secured properly may move about and knock?? Sorry if thats total BS but thought i might suggest something else for you to change lol . Good luck fixing your problem matey :S

A well built VW
Off topic slightly how much was the anti roll bar bush to replace ? might help if you can get a sound clip uploaded if poss

20k miles in a year WOW! mines has only just done a tad over that in 6 years

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I am beginning to think engine mounts but I figured it was desperation! What sort of noises would they make?

ARB bush I got for a fiver Shaun. Doubt i could get a soundclip cos nothing to record on and doubt my phone woul pick it up although it can be quite loud. In Edinburgh (roads are shocking as you know) going over bumps in a straight line it also makes the noise.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
And yeah 16-20k a year every year Ive owned it, I use my car which seems a rare thing for some people up here ;) Your rivalling Cli0 172 for not driving your car!

Clio Mk2 DCI 68
If your mounts are worn, as the engine moves around it will come in contact with the body. You will hear and also feel the vibrations from the engine. I am worried about the movement in your wheels-are your bottom ball joints tight? Check around the driveshafts, if anything is close to them as when the front of the car lifts and dives then something may be catching. Can you tell if the noise is "in tune" with vehicle speed or engine speed?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
The ns one definitly is, not checked the of tightness. Its never been touched since the wishbone was put on. Noting looks out of the ordinary distnace wise and there was no obvious signs of impact anywhere. It doesnt seem to happen in tune with engine or vehicle speed! For example, if I knock it into neutral and brake normally then sometimes it will knock/click a couple of times before stopping and then make the same noise pulling away. If you stop and it doesnt make a noise then you can pull away silently too. So im sure there must be something loose but god knows what!

Cheers
John

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just remembered that the first time it happened was going round a roundabout a week or so after lowering it on just springs. When I fitted the gmax shocks it stopped for a while and then gradually came back. Beginning to think its due to the height but its not exactly the lowest car around! And its only on 15s.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Right just been out for another look. The tyres dont hit the metal of the arches at parking speeds. However the bottom of the shock (where the spring sits) is really realy tight against the space in the arch for it. Theres less than a fingers space between it and the arch. Anyone had a similar problem to mine when they've lowered their car?
Think I might be forced to change it to standard for a bit and see if that helps :(

Caddy Maxi
yes, as i'm asuming when you had new wishbones they had new bushes in as they can cause the wheel to move also