ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Compression Test Advice

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi guys I need a bit of help

I am going to do a compression test on my clio

Not sure if I will be doing this right

I know engine needs to be warm

Renault Clio Mark 2 1.2i
Engine Type D4F

1 Remove all spark plugs
2 Remove engine management fuse not sure where and what fuse this is Haynes didn't help ? ( in car or out of car )
3 not sure if I need to remove electric wire on coil pack
4Then get some one to press throttle down full then turn engine over and get readings

I think this is right can someone confirm this please and not sure on fuse

Thanks guys

gareth

Last edited:
  clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Now tried to get plug into chanber but wont screw in not sure what size plugs are they a 14mm please cheers

Last edited:
  clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Hi guys I have done a dry test at moment and got from left to right (140 psi ) (160 psi) (109psi) (170 Psi)

can any one advice on this please thanks gareth

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Thanks mate engine light on car misfire on ( cylinder 2 ) when car runs light comes on lump mode just a quick question what oil can I use for wet test

Thanks for your advice

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
What do you mean wet test?

I generally test compression by removing that 1 plug and either the king pin or unplugging the coil pack depending on the car. Does the plug look any different on no.2?

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
it does yes I would say soot had new coil pack and plugs a wet test is where you put oil in the spark plug holes this makes a temp seal to tell you what's wrong with the car just unsure what oil I can use as I don't have any here is a good link just found http://www.aa1car.com/library/compression.htm Just need an oil expert now lol

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
When I tested mine I just used the same oil that I run through the engine - i.e. 5W 40. 5ml down each in turn to do the wet test and all should be good (of course making sure you give it 30-60 seconds to create a 'seal' before cranking.

clio 2000 1.4 Sport
Thanks maybe i did not do it right then. I will try it again so turn ignition on then wait 30 seconds then turn it over. I disconnected the fuse in engine and removed coilpack wire I will test again maybe it was me Thanks for your reply