ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Confused engine noise. (whining)

Toyota MR2
Hi guys,

Car is a 2002 1.2 16v clio

I'm a bit confused about a noise my car has started making, my main thinking is its the belt. But it doesn't quiet make sense to me.

I have a whining noise which starts at around 25mph (anyGear) It increases in pitch with an increase in road speed (revs make no difference) also on throttle lift off or clutch in the noise sounds like its winding down until the car become's stationary again.

When idling the car is fine, when stationary and revving the engine there is no noise.

I'm due to make a 160 mile journey tomorrow so I'm a little concerned!

Also I have no service history so no idea when the belt + tensioners was changed so I no it needs doing! just if it is this I don't really fancy the 160 miles..... or the £1000 bill upon the big bang.

Any help/Guidance is appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:
  Toyota MR2
Not really sure as to get to the speed when the noise kicks in I'm never really going round corners. I'll have to take it down to a roundabout and find out..

Bongy - If it is diff then would it last on a motorway for 160miles or not? would it be diff bearings?

Toyota MR2
Right just been out, and going round a roundabout and a decent speed (40mph) the noise totally disappears but as soon as I straighten it up again. its back.

Yep sounds like diff, could poss be wheel bearing, altho they make more of a grumbling sound than a whine.

Without hearing it is hard to say how long it will last, ive drove cars on knackered boxes for months. Depends how far gone it is.