ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Connecting wires together

I'm going to be doing some "wiring" in the clio. I imagine I'll be needing to do two things mostly:

1. Join the ends of 2 wires together
2. Join a new wire to an existing one without breaking the original wire

I'm familiar with what Halfords and the like have to offer but I've never found those sort of crimp connectors to be very reliable. I'd prefer to solder but I know that is frowned upon also.

So what do people use with good results?

Thanks
Mark

Polo + Micra
if you prefer to solder do that imho

better than crimps when used with some heat shrink

Clio 1.4 Dynamique S
Scotch locks are alright if you don't feel up to soldering. Bit bulky though when you have a few of them.

Also depends on what you connecting to what obviously.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
scotchlocks should all be burried in a big hole in the ground. Go and sit in the corner and have a word with yourself

Golf GT & A4 Avant
scotch blocks should be frowned upon, absolutely rubbish connection and are very rarely used these days. touch up your soldering technique if needed and stick to that.

I've seen many debates on here about soldering not being used in motorsport, can't take the vibrations. Maybe that's just in engine looms?

I'm happy with it...

What do people use for joins that you want to be able to disconnect and reconnect at will? Spade type crimp connectors or is there a better solution?

Impreza Wagon
Solder then heat shrink wrap them as mentioned above, I'd say that's the best way. I've not heard of solder being a bad choice before?

I've used the spade type connectors for audio installs in the past. They're OK but not the best, you can buy the Renault type connectors found on your standard speakers which seem pretty good.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Twist the 2 ends of wires together and stick some electrical tape around it ;)

jk, solder and heatshrink (don't do what I do and forget to slide the heatshrink over first :p)

172/1.2/E30
A soldered connection is just as good as the person's soldering skills are. Heat shrinked (watersealed) crimp connectors are the way forward!
For the joints i would use some automotive spec AMP connectors (econoseal etc.).

phase 1 flamer 172
When i bought my aftermarket ecu (well known make) the wiring instructions did say soldered joints not the best solution.

Megane Mk4
Solder is ok IMO, Better than crimping as you've broken the rubber sheath and water could get in and rust the metal strands..
Use a higher wattage setting based iron as the solder stays more 'fluid' longer, so you can move it about more if you make a mistake and want to clean it up easier. Heat shrinking is a must too, cars aren't completely weatherproof.

SQ5
I guess it isnt recommended due to possible dry joints then.

Solder and Electrical tape is how I roll!

Polo + Micra
electrical tape is poor show

it'll start to un-stick after about a week

crimps are not bad with a decent crimping tool