ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Considering another Williams..

Ive had my Clio 16v for about a month now, and aside from it recently breaking down on me, its a lovely car.

Nice and quick, good fun, leather is comfy, sound system is decent - all in all a pleasant motoring experience, but something is missing.

Cant put into words what it is, and no its not just an extra 234cc.

Theres a sparkle that this car can never have no matter how much money I throw at it.. tuning, suspension..

Theres a certain smile I dont have when I climb in and out of my Valver..

I miss catching a glimpse of the Williams stickers on the arches as I glance out of the window.... used to double take at my own car sometimes, now I barely notice it as it sits there.

Perhaps if Id come from an RT this would seem amazing.. it really is fun, its just not as fun - its missing that Fame Academy abused term, "x factor".

Changing car would mean holding out for the best price for my 16v, buying a heap to trot about in (again) and finding a Williams that suits - lots of hassle!

Am I mad?

Should I do it?

Argggggggggghhh...

I can only speak from being a Willy owner as ive never driven a Valver, but from wot I hear theres a significant difference between the two.

Just look at wot u read mate, its quite obvious wot u really want...

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo

Ive sometimes thought I could have saved myself some money if Id bought a 2.0 valver instead of a williams. However every time I see my car parked up I know its a special car. No offence to 16v drivers but I would consider a Williams to be a lot more than a 16v with wider track,wheels, stickers, .2 capacity etc.

Thats just it.. its not only about handling, speed.. its about feeling like youre driving something special when you are in the hotseat.

Perhaps the marketing of it all affected me a lot more than I thought as a kid.......

ive owned both a vavler (naples red, 95) and now a williams one, in between a civic VTi and i can hand on heart say that the williams IS a different car all together.

as MartinS said, no offence to the 16V as its a fantastc, fun car but its never going to be a williams. these are one of the few cars that you can leave alone and still have something to be totally proud off.

the fact that people are so passionate about leaving the williams standard is a testiment to what it is, whereas to be happy with a 16V you need to tweak it slightly to be what you want it to be. with a williams you just dont need to.

ive had friends that owned williams while i had my 16V and i didnt appreciate the difference. i saw them as just a special addition, but now owning one really makes you appreciate what they stand for.

to put it into perspective the civic VTi is a fantastic car all round and technically probably better than the williams but about a month after buying my williams i had to take my civic to a show and i actually felt depressed and un-involved when driving it there and back! this doesnt do the civic justice as, compared to many cars on the road its far superior BUT.........

its just not a williams :D

Clio v6

Was the Williams like top of the range trim and toys wise? If so, I think it would only be natural to miss it. A bit like getting a Cup after a 172. Still a quick car, but things missing.

Do you really think this is a good idea really!!!!!.....

Why bother changing at the moment you better off waiting and finding out what your facing before selling/buying again.

Imo fix the car you have it was once one of the most beautiful valvers i have ever seen, then bide your time, see what you get for the last incident then decide what to do as another difference between the two is insurance group and that there arnt that many Williams about.

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by *328* on 18 May 2004

ive owned both a vavler (naples red, 95) and now a williams one, in between a civic VTi and i can hand on heart say that the williams IS a different car all together.

as MartinS said, no offence to the 16V as its a fantastc, fun car but its never going to be a williams. these are one of the few cars that you can leave alone and still have something to be totally proud off.

the fact that people are so passionate about leaving the williams standard is a testiment to what it is, whereas to be happy with a 16V you need to tweak it slightly to be what you want it to be. with a williams you just dont need to.

ive had friends that owned williams while i had my 16V and i didnt appreciate the difference. i saw them as just a special addition, but now owning one really makes you appreciate what they stand for.

to put it into perspective the civic VTi is a fantastic car all round and technically probably better than the williams but about a month after buying my williams i had to take my civic to a show and i actually felt depressed and un-involved when driving it there and back! this doesnt do the civic justice as, compared to many cars on the road its far superior BUT.........

lol sorry but i have to disagree slightly.......after 2 years owning the willy , after having owned a valver for 2 years before hand agreed the willy is a completely difrent animal........and in standard trim is plenty fun ......but dont u always get bored with what u have?

dont u strive for that little bit extra??

modding my williams is something that just needs to be done, the car itself is crying out for more power, but im cryin out louder lol

when the car is head and shoulders above most things in its class i will then be happy..........bodywork wise the car is perfect, the shape the colour........just not quite fast enuff for me im afraid...............i think i must be one of the few that thinks what reno gave us is good...................but can be bettered

ill second that Jon, the Williams deffo needs more power... it looks faster than the 172s/Cups, but needs that actual grunt and power to it. The power is deffo there waiting to be unleashed!

Haha. This is my fault, isnt it?

Heh, anyway... yea.. there is something special about the Williams, which you dont feel in other cars. Again, I dunno what.. but its something.. kinda weird eh?

Dont think its cus of marketing as a kid.. cus I dont think I knew what one was before I joined ClioSport..

Quote: Originally posted by GTI Girl on 18 May 2004

Do you really think this is a good idea really!!!!!.....

Why bother changing at the moment you better off waiting and finding out what your facing before selling/buying again.

Imo fix the car you have it was once one of the most beautiful valvers i have ever seen, then bide your time, see what you get for the last incident then decide what to do as another difference between the two is insurance group and that there arnt that many Williams about.
I know you speak sense Clare.. the rational thing would be to wait, find out what happens next, etc.

A rational 21 year old wouldnt even be considering this though would they....................

Quote: Originally posted by riplash on 18 May 2004

A rational 21 year old wouldnt even be considering this though would they....................
Oh, being rational is soooooooooooo boring

Quote: Originally posted by James on 18 May 2004

Was the Williams like top of the range trim and toys wise? If so, I think it would only be natural to miss it. A bit like getting a Cup after a 172. Still a quick car, but things missing.
Nope, my 16v has more expensive trim, and more toys such as ICE etc.

Its a feel thing though..

Also To Clare:

The insurance difference isnt actually that much - if I do get a harsh conviction, even this humble 16v probably may have to go.. honestly the difference insurance for me at this exact moment in time is about £11 a month, and post conviction (Ive had quotes) the difference is still only about £15 a month.

Meg on pistonheads £6995

the Willams & Valver are both ace!

marketing is very powerful though - I would still rather have a Lotus Carlton than an M5!

its the fact that just like the Willy, it was FAR MORE DESIRABLE than any of its peers!

and even driven slowly, a Willy, Lotus Carlton etc turns heads!!

[Edited by black kro on 18 May 2004 at 12:53pm]

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 18 May 2004

lol sorry but i have to disagree slightly.......after 2 years owning the willy , after having owned a valver for 2 years before hand agreed the willy is a completely difrent animal........and in standard trim is plenty fun ......but dont u always get bored with what u have?

modding my williams is something that just needs to be done, the car itself is crying out for more power, but im cryin out louder lol

when the car is head and shoulders above most things in its class i will then be happy..........bodywork wise the car is perfect, the shape the colour........just not quite fast enuff for me im afraid...............i think i must be one of the few that thinks what reno gave us is good...................but can be bettered

I 100% agree! which is why within 2 weeks of owning mine it was treated to an induction kit, full stainless and de-cat. suspension arrived late last week and as soon as the civic goes therell be cams, pulleys and headwork on the way ;) to get the ball really rolling. i too intend to push the boundries of the car, itd be rude not to!

however the point i was making was that as an "out of the box product" there isnt a lot that competes. not in terms of brute performance but pressence and driver satisfaction. this is why lots of people can/are content and rightly so. :D

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

Quote: Originally posted by Daz on 18 May 2004

*328*, induction kits this weather will make you go slow.. heh.
ive noticed that! mine seems slower than usual! and it sounds like a right fart in a bucket the noise that comes from it!!!! must get that other cold air feed put on the car!!!!

bottom line for me is, i have always wanted a williams for years and years, it is my dream car and when i actually got it it was better than i thought, the amount of heads it turns in any town is unreal, even 40 year olds drool over it, i have had it over a year now and i love it as much still, as the day i bought it, i see myself walking up to it when its parked and feel proud as punch getting into it, it will never cease to put a smile on my face and to be honest i dont think i can ever part with it unless i get another one after it.

lol, youd think i was on about a ferrari enzo or something hehe

bloody get rid of the 16v and get yourself a belter you will NOT regret it!!

good luck :)

Ive had my Clio 16v for about a month now,
just noticed this! now thats getting bored quick!
haha yeah!

Maybe I shouldve made it more clear for forum users who dont know me and my history.

I owned a Williams 2 which I crashed in March this year..

I panicked about increased premiums (especially as I may get a conviction from this accident), and got a 16v, a very nice one I might add - but like I say, something is missing from the experience..

Ive had my Clio 16v for about a month now,
just noticed this! now thats getting bored quick!
haha yeah!

Maybe I shouldve made it more clear for forum users who dont know me and my history.

I owned a Williams 2 which I crashed in March this year..

I panicked about increased premiums (especially as I may get a conviction from this accident), and got a 16v, a very nice one I might add - but like I say, something is missing from the experience..
ahh, i get ya

id have to agree too, my williams has been off the road for 4 days and ive been using my sisters valver which has leather etc really nice car , very quick too but it just didnt feel the same for some reason!?!?! now ive got the williams back on road(today thankfully!!) its just well brilliant to drive, i cant explain why it just feels so much better, no offence to valver owners! im glad i chose the williams over a valver in the end, even if it had leather and better toys like ICE etc , its imho just not the same!

and def agree bodywise its spot on no need to mod the williams there, but i need more power! headwork/cams etc is all gonna be on the way:D

I had a poster of one on my bedroom wall when they first came out (i was 12) and its only taken me 10 years to get one!

Yeah, was 11/12 when they first came out myself.. no posters, but they were one of the dream cars at the time!

Saw one locally on the way home from school sometimes, and was in total awe of it!

Willy2

Ive owned both and i have to say they are different cars, The attention a williams gets is unreal and being the lazy driver I am, I take it on the motorway get to about 50 and stick it in 5th and cruise and if I want to go faster just plant the accelerator to the floor and it pulls and sounds like a dream. When i crashed my willy1, i just had to have another one, I love it and it makes my driveway look the nads! People everywhere comment on it even when its dirty!

williams and trophy

Quote: Originally posted by 2 live on 18 May 2004

I 100% agree! which is why within 2 weeks of owning mine it was treated to an induction kit, full stainless and de-cat. suspension arrived late last week and as soon as the civic goes therell be cams, pulleys and headwork on the way ;) to get the ball really rolling. i too intend to push the boundries of the car, itd be rude not to!

however the point i was making was that as an "out of the box product" there isnt a lot that competes. not in terms of brute performance but pressence and driver satisfaction. this is why lots of people can/are content and rightly so. :D

hehe after all that then mate ul be runnin same spec as me.....;)

oooooooo ....another one to compare to hehe.bit more competition i like

Ever since i had my first 2l conversion (now on my 2nd!) i couldnt get over the difference to the 1800! the williams engine is something else all together, SO you not considerd dropping a 2l in the 16v!? I know it may still not give you the X factor that a williams does but how much of this is down to the performance? Never said this on here before, and i hope it doesnt get taken the wrong way, but the 16v engine is really poor when you compare it to the williams one, and infact the first mod i would do to a 16v is drop in a 2l form a willy or megane. It makes it a completely different car, a giant killer, and all for group 12 insurance?!

Yeah Ive considered it.. Gonna be at least £1500 just to make it a decent job worth doing.

Then Id want the track too..... again looking at the best part of a grand to do it factory fresh.

Then add on the cost of a valver.......

All seems a bit pointless when I could just go and buy a Williams for less money.

I think the difference is more than just the outright engine performance difference.. its the steering.. the looks.. I even miss sinking myself into the seats, even though I have the identical ones but in hide.

I think Ive convinced myself already really - despite what the more rational thinkers amongst us might say... Im the sort of bloke that would swallow a hardcore monthly insurance payment just to have the car he really really wants - now that I am in a position to be able to do so.

williams and trophy

if u really want a willy do it mate......altho the valvers with the 2.0s seem to be a little quikker from my experiences tho lol........well most of em.........for some strange reason

having said that tho, i know totally where ur comin from with the mods.....which is why i sold my valver to buy a willy, cost wise it wouldve been more to do the valver to get the same spec as the willy , than it was to sell the valver n buy a willy.............ins wasnt a consideration at the time, altho i did say if it was gunna be a grand id forget the idea n go with the 2.0 conversion

Yeah.. I guess its down to how attached you are to your valver in part too.

Some of the 2 litre guys have already waxed hundreds/thousands on their cars.. would be as much point them selling up as there would be me converting mine.. i.e. f**k all.

Saw a Willy 3 just now while I was walking about.. looked the nuts...

Sod it.

I want a Williams.

Valver for sale post coming soon.

If you can aford a Wiliams why not go for it after all no ude driving round in a car which isnt exactly the one you want.

Revels Mum & Sister

I have considered getting a Williams, I have a valver at present.

Having driven 2 Williams yes they are better but I dont think I could personally see the point coming from a valver. Maybe I just want a complete different change and something newer.

I have allways wanted to own a Williams but the urge has died for some reason!